Author Topic: Halfrauds again  (Read 14501 times)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
Re: Halfrauds again
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 09:30:00 am »
They are doing an online Deal of the Day in the run up to Xmas, some look pretty good. Today's is a substantially discounted toolkit.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:56 pm »
15% off bikes until Wednesday, so you can have a full-carbon racing bike for £850 (less with clever use of additional discounts as above).  It's the hiatus between Christmas and the start of the bike riding season.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »
10% online discount 'flash sale' 12-2pm again today
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »
Thanks, £2 saved!

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »
I bought a Halfords branded Hamax bike seat from ebay last year for 99p. One of the nobbles that the strap to secure the child's foot attaches to had sheared off, so I went and asked if they could replace the part (the whole foot support bit), and they looked it up for me and said they would see if they could order it. They phoned me a bit later to check which side it was and to say that it would be done then. The next day they phoned to say that the part was in and I could collect it.

All in all, very good service and helpful and careful staff, which was a surprise!  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:44 pm »
Funny business dealing with Halfords.

I bought a towbar carrier just after Christmas, who choose I've never managed to fit to the tow bar. Today I gave up and took it back and, after trying and failing to fit it, they gave me a new one to build.

The new one works and I concluded, due to the presence of instructions and the packing, that the first one had been returned faulty and put back on the shelf.

I also bought a set of roof bars. When I fitted them I found a missing piece and some extras that shouldn't have been there. Given the box was taped closed and the others were glued irreconcilable it's another return and restock...

Backpacking tomorro,  at least with receipt this time.

Mixed feelings, and they really need to sort out restock.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:38 pm »
I thought about starting a new thread to give full vent to my disgust at Halfords, but then decided that adding to the main thread might create a better long term warning.

While very nearly finishing up on n+1 (a recently acquired TVT), I cracked the fixing unit on a brake calliper that the cable clamp bolts into - loud cries of BUGG@R!!!!

Anyway a quick look on the web showed that my local Halfords had a complete Tiagra front calliper in suitable silver "available in 1 hour", so "Reserve and Collect" I clicked.

I then got an email confirming "Collect from one hour after your reservation" and then got a text "our store is getting your order ready".

So I waited an hour or so and drive the 6 miles to the said emporium.

On approaching the cycle department, a young man took the order number and told me "sorry, not in stock, it will be here after 3 days"

When I expressed discontent, the young man seemed to be offended and said "there's nothing employees can do if the stock system is wrong".

Frankly, I despair.  Even if you are desperate do not in any way rely on this sad bunch!

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 11:41:15 pm »
I had a similar experience but the store called promptly to apologise for the item not being in stocck, so I didn't have a wasted journey.

No complaints about the Boardman bike I bought from them earlier this year, although I did insist on doing the final assembly myself (always an option).  All in all a slightly better experience than with the Hewitt, which turned out to have had green paint sprayed straight over the standard red paint (and peeling off at every edge), so I had to (a) strip the frame and send it back and (b) rebuild the bike when they sent a properly painted frame.  Cost about a day's effort and a set of cables  ::-)

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 12:55:42 pm »
My Brooks saddle was cheaper from Halfords than anywhere else online but...

It was supposed to have been delivered to the store yesterday for collection. No message arrived but I can drive past that way on the way home from work (as I had the car yesterday). I called in and the chap behind the counter looked up my order and apologised it hadn't arrived but the supplier hadn't given a phone number so there wasn't anything he could do. Perhaps I could give them a call at around 3pm Today. I'm not sure I'm more annoyed it hasn't turned up or that I have to do all the chasing.

I'll call and see later and will report back but it's nearly 1:00 and I've had no notification so I'm not hopeful. It's a birthday present from my wife so I hope it's here by tomorrow.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 04:07:14 pm »
Ten minutes to answer the phone. No sign of my saddle. The assistant advised it was coming from head office and they don't deliver Tuesdays so the one I spoke to yesterday was wrong. He didn't know if it is due to arrive from head office tomorrow (but they do deliver Wednesdays) he is apparently going to check and get back to me.

There's a Brooks saddle in my basket on the Wiggle website.....

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »
I see they've just bought Tredz and Wheelies

http://road.cc/content/news/191102-halfords-buys-tredz-and-wheelies

Keeping them under the current brand rather than re brand them though

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
Oh dear, I like Tredz.

My saddle has finally turned up. They have just rung to tell me it's ready to collect.

I'll send them some feedback.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 04:44:47 pm »
Me too. South Wales business, handy when visiting friends in Swansea.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:05 am »
I see they've just bought Tredz and Wheelies

http://road.cc/content/news/191102-halfords-buys-tredz-and-wheelies

Keeping them under the current brand rather than re brand them though

Yeah. That's what they said about Ribble after their 'merger' last year. I beg to differ . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:16 am »
A brand is little more than a name and a logo. How it's managed behind the brand is a different matter

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:08 pm »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 09:05:49 pm »
The DPA refusal is weird, and should be reportable to the ICO. I'd also report them to the plod for theft.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
The DPA refusal is probably nothing of the sort: it's reported as them refusing to supply a transcript of the call, but if they routinely record outgoing calls from a store to a customer, let alone get them transcribed, then I'm the man in the moon.

They'll have nothing apart from (perhaps) a few notes that they can refuse to supply, and a journalist who suggests that they do is either naive or dishonest.

None of this, of course, is meant to suggest that this branch of Halfords is anything other than incompetent, and shit at customer service.

Andrew

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 07:54:42 am »
That Halfords have a reputation for poor service is undeniable but I don't automatically assume they're an evil entity. I can see another interpretation of events here. Not one that warranted the guy having his bike 'recycled' admittedly, but one that has him being somewhat surprised at the repair cost and voicing that surprise in small words.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:08 am »
Well, there's clearly a conflict, in that Halfords says it was instructed to dispose of the bike in a phone call that the customer says never took place.

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 10:37:53 am »
It's a great example of a "local news" photo (the one with the lock).

Halfords stores vary a lot depending on the staff.  I suspect training is minimal so you can end up with staff in the bike section that are completre muppets or (if you're lucky) some genuine enthusiasts.

The actual product range is mediocre and I think they sell the stuff with the highest margins rather than what would sell in the hughest volumes (Halfords: if you sell 1 item with a £5 margin you might be better to sell 10 with a £2 margin).  A Clarks singlespeed chain for over £10 is firmly in the "no thanks" category, since you can get a branded chain (KMC or SRAM) of known quality elsewhere for a fiver.  The clothing range isn't great either - they sell a huge range of road racing bikes but no bibshorts.  To be fair to them, the own-brand winter gloves I bought years ago are still intact, which is remarkable given the usual dragonfly-like life of my cycle gloves.  They're not hugely warm though.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:02 am »
Their results are out today: http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlmedia/rns.cgi?action=news&rns=1&view=full&story_id=24482190

A 5% drop in share price tells me that not everyone was chuffed - but in a "steady as she goes" way, I think they're OK. Divi up 3%. Although I'm wary of growth promised through acquisition (they say borrowing will be allowed to treble if the right M&A opportunities are identified). So Wheelies and Tredz is just the start - and I suspect they want to buy into up market.

The report is worth reading to get a feel for what they are trying to do wrt staff, training, and service. The words are right.

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 10:27:26 am »
Rapha next ?   :-)
Rust never sleeps

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2016, 08:07:52 am »
Bloody skinflint cyclists - 13 week cycling sales down 4% like-for-like on last year.

http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlmedia/rns.cgi?action=news&rns=1&view=full&story_id=24680249

I thought this would be the case as the weather's been shockingly bad.

Expect prices to rise - they've hedged their FOREX to USD:GBP rate of 1.45 for 2017 (at the expense of £3m of profit). Last time I looked we're somewhere around 1.3. Last year it was 1.5 ish.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 12:58:39 pm »
I'm never buying a bike from Halfords ever again. They've just been a complete nightmare to deal with even from a branch I had thought had it together. They "trued" my wheel under warranty but they'd clearly just straightened it in the stand and not test rode it, as it slumped over to the right as soon as I took it on the road. This was after a double shifter replacement (under warranty), crap snapping spoke wheels, and now after the "service" there are mystery creaks coming out of the frame.

Don't be lured in by the low prices chaps, you pay for it in faff down the road!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.