Linked Events

• The Pendle Witches' Ride : 11 October, 2008

Author Topic: The Pendle Witches' Ride - Sat 11th October  (Read 39983 times)

The Pendle Witches' Ride - Sat 11th October
« on: 31 August, 2008, 02:36:34 pm »
**UPDATED WITH DETAILS OF WHERE TO MEET AND WHEN**

When: 0840 on Saturday 11th October (for a 0900 sharp start as we really need to set off on time)

Where: The car park on the outskirts of Colne outside Taylor's Off Licence next to the roundabout junction with Keighley Road, Skipton Old Road and Byron Road. See this map for exact location.

What's the route? See here. Don't be confused by the start point being Gargrave; we are in fact starting from Colne (with some joining us along the route). We won't be taking the Skipton Old Road route as I think it will take the group too long, and there are enough hills already later on the route. So, be prepared for the ride from Colne to Gargrave to be on a fairly busy - but flat - A road (nothing compared to London roads, though). 

People meeting at Colne:
Woolly & Peli 
The Wows
The Toekneeps 
Dave
Sgt Pluck
Alan
Steve GT

Meeting us at Gargrave? We plan to be at the cafe by 10:15/10:30.
Deano

Blackburnrod & Tonycollinet - not sure where you plan to meet us - can you let me know?

Cafe stops: I think it's important that everyone knows what the deal is with stops and eating. Please make sure to bring your own energy snacks as there's limited places to buy these en route. We will plan to have two brief eating stops:
1) (About 10:15/10:30 until 11:30) Dalesman @ Gargrave for tea and cake - fuel up for the hills ahead 
2) (About 13:30) lunch stop in Settle - Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe OK for everyone? 

If you've not yet let me have your mobile number, please send me a PM and I will send you mine.

Timings
I've tried to estimate how long we will take on each stretch of the ride, and it's hard to tell given the size of the group and differing speeds of the riders, so please be prepared with decent lights in case we are delayed for any reason. Lots of the roads we're taking are wild and unlit.

Route maps
I will bring copies for everyone meeting at Colne only (as they're likely to get pretty soggy if I have to carry them to Gargrave :)).

Clothing
I think this is for the benefit of the softy southerners  ;) - bring warm clothes. It gets nippy in them there 'ills.

Any questions, or if I have missed anything, please tickle me!  :o

And a final plea to please send me your mobile number if you've not already done so!!

Peli

_____________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Definites
Wow & Mrs Wow
Toekneep & GillP
Peli & Woolly
Sgt Pluck
Our Dave
Deano
Alan
onb (possible)
Blackburnrod
SteveGT
Tonycollinet

Finally, I am getting around to organising this long-awaited ride on my home turf of East Lancashire - a loop of the mysterious and beautiful Pendle Hill.

Woolly and I have had to plump for one date and one date only, as he works weekends and therefore doesn't have many to choose from. So, if Saturday 11th October suits you, please come and join us.

What?
A 50 mile loop of the magificent Pendle Hill, taking in the sweet, sharp Nick O' Pendle and a beautiful stretch of cycle route from Malham to Settle. Does the name 'Pendle' ring a bell? The area is famous for the Pendle witch trials of 1612, the best known example of alleged witchcraft in English history.

Before you ask whether the ride will be lumpy, remember that Pendle Hill combines the word for 'hill' in three different languages: Pen (Cumbric); hyll (Old English) and hill (Modern English). So you'll be climbing the Nick of Hill-hill-hill.  ;D

When?
Saturday 11th October.
"October? In the Pennines?" I hear you cry...
An old Colne saying states that "If you can see Pendle then it's about to rain, if you can't then it's already started." But if it rains, we get wet. We can't go to the Pennines and not embrace the lovely Pennine weather.  :)

Why?
Do you need to ask? It's a stunningly beautiful and physically challenging ride, taking in vast expanses of moorland, glimpses of limestone cove, and dotted with a few steep bits here and there.  ;)

How?
Woolly and I will be train-ing it up from London Kings Cross on the late afternoon of Friday 10th October, to Keighley.
Details of our trains:

Outward journey
10 Oct 2008
Departs London Kings Cross 16:35
Arrives Keighley 19:41

Return journey
12 Oct 2008
Departs Keighley 14:28
Arrives London Kings Cross 17:55

We'll then get a taxi (or mini-van, depending on how many we are) "across the Moss" from Keighley to Winewall, to my parents' house. At that time of night, it's not really cycle-able (unless you're Well 'Ard) as the road is fast and the elements can be wild.

We have space for a few at my Mum and Dad's - please PM me if interested. We have a bolshy cat, so perhaps not best if you're allergic... Alternatively, we have friends who run a swish local B&B (approx. £40/night).

We'll head back down to the Smoke about 14:00 on Sunday 12th October.

Eating?
As we'll arrive late on Friday night, a late-night Pakistani takeaway will be the order of the day, from my Mum's friend's establishment. During the ride itself, we'll pass the famous cyclists' cafe at Gargrave, and there'll be the chance for pub stops in Settle, Clitheroe and Barrowford. After the ride, we've a choice of eating establishments in Colne, so let's see how we feel.

Is it a hard ride?
Let's face it, it's the Pennines, so it's not a walk in Richmond Park.  ;D There Will Be Lumps. But, we'll be setting off relatively early (by Woolly-Peli standards) - say 09:00 - so we'll leave ample time for cake stops, and no one will be left behind.

OK, I'm up for some Pennine pain pleasure. Where do we meet?
If you're staying chez Peli's Parents, we'll start from Winewall (Colne) and head in a north-easterly direction through Earby to Gargrave. Anyone can pick us up at any time along the route, with Gargrave perhaps offering the best meeting place for northern-based Yacfers.

One final question... is it fix-able?
 ::-)

Re: The Pendle Witches' Ride - Sat 11th October
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:41:48 pm »
I'd like to do this ride but I am busy that day riding home from London. What a shame.

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »
Sorry you can't make it, Martin. I expect a few won't be able to make it, but we're tied to a limited number of weekends due to Woolly's work...  Anyway, if this is a success, I'm sure we'll do it again. Another time!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
At least one of us is very interested... ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »
Interested.

Does clash with the FNRttC though  :(

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:55:40 pm »
At least one of us is very interested... ;D
:thumbsup:

Does clash with the FNRttC though  :(
Yes, I noticed that. Tell Woolly off for having a weekend-sapping job.  ;)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:57:17 pm »
Put us down as a definite definite, how could we not do such a ride. I'm all excited already.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2008, 02:59:40 pm »
Yes, we're up for it! Mrs. Wow, she say "Oh go on then".  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:02:53 pm »
We are an hour's drive from the start so if anybody wants a bed put your hands up.

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »
Put us down as a definite definite, how could we not do such a ride. I'm all excited already.  ;D
Wohoo, how exciting this is! I am so looking forward to it.

Wowbagger - you're welcome to our attic room chez Peli's Parents.

Re train times for those travelling up from London, I'm just checking best prices and times. Don't book anything just yet... It would be good to get the train ensemble, as it's easier for transfers the other end.

My Mum's really looking forward to seeing everyone. :) 

GillP

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:23:33 pm »
Well done for organising this Peli. I have just found myself agreeing to do the Trough possibly next week as not living in Wales any more our hill climbing legs need a bit of pre Pendle practice!  :P

When we did the Lancashire cycleway last year we saw Pendle Hill from all angles so it will be a good achievement to climb it.

I am looking forward to it :D

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:23:49 pm »
Trains (from National Express website):

It's occurred to me that Woolly and I could head up earlier on Friday, as he has Fridays off, and I could take a half-day. So, how about:

Friday 10th October
KX 16:35 Keighley 19:41 £21.35 single
(range of other times between 17:00 & 19:00 for £28.05 single)
or/ KX 19:03 Keighley 22.20 £21.35 single

Returning on Sunday 12th October
14:28 17:55 £28.05 single

Am just calling National Express to see if we can get a 4 person discount.

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »
Well done for organising this Peli. I have just found myself agreeing to do the Trough possibly next week as not living in Wales any more our hill climbing legs need a bit of pre Pendle practice!  :P

When we did the Lancashire cycleway last year we saw Pendle Hill from all angles so it will be a good achievement to climb it.

I am looking forward to it :D

:thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing you and T, Gill.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:25:12 pm »
The only possible drawback is the number of bikes on the train. The train from Leeds - Keighley is 2 bikes only, first come first served. If it's the late-night drinkers' train that could present a problem.

There are two trains an hour from L to K. It might make sense to spread out, depending how many of us there are.

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »
The only possible drawback is the number of bikes on the train. The train from Leeds - Keighley is 2 bikes only, first come first served. If it's the late-night drinkers' train that could present a problem.
The Leeds - Keighley train is usually fine for bikes - quite a lot of space. Bikes can hang at the end of a couple of carriages, and there is also space by the disabled loos.

Will you take the tandem?

Update - just called Nat. Express and they don't do group discounts for less than 10 travellers.

Wows - would you be OK to get the KX 16:35 Keighley 19:41 (£21.35 single) train?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:29:17 pm »
The Leeds - Keighley train is usually fine for bikes - quite a lot of space. Bikes can hang at the end of a couple of carriages, and there is also space by the disabled loos.

Will you take the tandem?

We probably will - I don't see Jan tackling this ride solo! We can easily take it to bits. Two sections are smaller than 2 solos.

« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:30:55 pm »
OK, Woolly and I are going to book the following train:

10th Oct, KX 16:35 Keighley 19:41. If you book online with National Express you can book bikes on at the same time.

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »
Returning on 12th Oct at 14:28 from Keighley...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:50:50 pm »
Jan & I have booked to get into Keighley at 1915, leaving to go home on the 9.49 train on the Sunday.

We'll obviously wait for you in Keighley on the Friday. I hope it's not too much of a rush on the Sunday morning.

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
OK, that sounds fine. We can organise a taxi-van for you back to Keighley (Mum used to teach the majority of the taxi drivers in that neck of the woods  ;) ) It's approx 12 miles over the Moss.

Looking forward to it muchly!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2008, 04:00:13 pm »
So are we! We've already taken the tandem over the Nick o' Pendle. :D

« Reply #21 on: 31 August, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
You two are gluttons for punishment.  :D Did you do the Clitheroe to Sabden direction, or t'other road around?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 31 August, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »
I am so jealous - Mist Over Pendle was my favourite book for about two years. 

Unfortunately two of my oldest dearest friends have decided to get hitched that weekend, and I s'pose having missed the engagement drinks and hen party because I'll be cycling, it would be Bad Form to miss the wedding... ;D

(Actually I'm quite looking forward to the wedding.  But I'll still be envious that I'm missing your ride.)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #23 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:14:21 pm »
I would love to do it but, due to being FAT and INACTIVE for a couple of months I wouldn't be fit enough.
Might pop in to the cafe at Gargrave if you have a rough arrival time there as it would be good to meet a few people.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #24 on: 31 August, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
I am so jealous - Mist Over Pendle was my favourite book for about two years. 

That's a shame. Another time! Oh, and I totally forgot about the shorts until your cheque arrived. I will post them forthwith!

I would love to do it but, due to being FAT and INACTIVE for a couple of months I wouldn't be fit enough.
Might pop in to the cafe at Gargrave if you have a rough arrival time there as it would be good to meet a few people.
t would be great to see you, PD! I would imagine that if we set off at 0900 from Colne, we should make it to Gargrave for about 1030, but I will give it a bit more thought nearer the time, depending on how many are coming.