Author Topic: 'Layback' seat-posts, any experiences?  (Read 3586 times)

'Layback' seat-posts, any experiences?
« on: 06 October, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
I've never really had a bike that fits me perfectly, maybe 99% but that meant that the saddle position is at its extremity or similar for example.
I have relatively shortish legs and a longerish back and tend to prefer to sit further behind the bottom bracket than most to prevent a lot of weight on my arms.  On a nominal 53 I tend to end up with the saddle fully back on the rails and a 110mm stem.  On a 55 I end up with a very short stem.
When chatting and sitting on the 55cm Ritchey road logic I'm soon to test-ride we were discussing fit.  The 55 is just too big.  The 53 would be about right but would probably need a layback seatpost.
My 'new' Holdsworth Elan 22" is 95% perfect but the Brooks is fully rear-ward and a layback post would seem to be the answer there too.

So what's peoples experience?  Did they work or are they the work of Stan?

Re: 'Layback' seat-posts, any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »
I use them. There can be big differences between amount of layback between brands (generally 20-40mm) and it's not always easy to find an actual spec.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:09:07 pm »
They do work as I used one on my genesis.  However they are tricky to find except for 27.2 which Velo orange and Nitto both do.  SJS cycles, I think also do an adapter than may or may not work which allows your saddle to move back.

PH

« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
If the 55 doesn't require any layback then the 53 isn't going to need much, there's only half a degree in it, 73.5/74.  How much layback you need to compensate for that depends on the  the saddle to BB length, I think on my frames 1 degree +22mm so you're not talking about anything extreme.  velosam is right about the scarcety of seatposts with a lot of layback, there's plenty of choice of seatposts with a bit, which is what's required  assuming the 55 didn't require any.

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:22:05 am »
I use them. There can be big differences between amount of layback between brands (generally 20-40mm) and it's not always easy to find an actual spec.
Even if the longer layback posts list the layback, it's still difficult as most regular seatposts have a small amount of layback which is never specified, and what you are really interested in how much layback is needed to get your saddle an amount further back than it will go at present.

(Freshtripe list the VO grand Cru seatpost as 30mm, and the Nitto S84 (?) as 40mm)

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:46:22 am »
Might sound a daft question, but if the 53 is too small and the 55 is too large, why not try a 'brand' with a 54 available?

I note that many manufacturers these days opt for S, M, L and XL which cover a range of sizes (eg the L might be 54-56) based on adjustments to stem and seat post length.  Clearly, as already mentioned, angles will also be important as that will affect dimensions.

I have various bikes with varying stem lengths and amount of seat post showing, but they all have one thing in common, namely the measurements from crank to saddle, saddle tip to handlebar and front axle to handlebar are the same. If the frame is aggressive (close clearance big angles) then the saddle might lay back more than on the XC bike, but the measurements can be the same.  Surely, this is what is important and as long as you can mirror the measurements you can vary the frame size (whatever frame size is these days).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:52:05 pm »
This is one of those cases where bike manufacturers have unlearnt something basic.  Nearly all seatposts used to be layback, then USE and others started a trend for inline posts to save a few grams in the MTB weight-weenie 1990s.  What also happened is that manufacture of frames shifted to the Far East and pretty much everything is now made with a "racy" 73 deg seat angle, even tourers (which in t'olden days would have been 70 or 71 degs).  This means even more need for a layback post to get the seat back far enough, yet they're harder to find.  A Brooks just exacerbates the problem; the rails are shorter to make room for the clamp at the front.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:40:20 pm »
I know exactly how you feel; I have exactly the same problem (which is why I have a very nice Columbus Nemo tubed frame with a horrible cheap plastic saddle on it; it's the only one that ended up in the right place with the most laid back of the posts I had to fit - 26.4mm diameter).
If you are looking for a new frame I suggest paying more attention to the seat tube angle than to the length of the tube. If I were buying I wouldn't waste time looking at anything steeper than 73° - my ideal must be a good old-fashioned 72°.
As for layback posts I have often wondered about this but have never managed to make sense of the quoted dimensions (nor managed to get a reasonable result trying to measure what I already have).
If the frame has a diameter greater than 27.2mm adaptors are available (bit of a bad compromise if you are hanging a loaded saddlebag off one in my opinion even though I do use one on the tourer/mtb).

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:00:24 am »
As RZ says, us "older" folk remember a time when all seatposts had layback. And they were probably only 200mm long, as we rode larger frames with horizontal top tubes, so yes, they work. Shimming a 27.2mm post in a larger seat tube is no problem and works well. FSA do a range of seatposts with layback, and they're available in 31.6mm with a nice 2-bolt fixing. Just have a look around.

I currently have a Canyon VCLS 1 seatpost. That has a sliding top plate that allows maybe 20-30mm of horizontal movement to adjust the layback. But it's a 27.2mm (as is the frame it's in) and not easy to find - I hot mine from a guy breaking a Canyon bike.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:44:41 am »
If you're using a brooks, ditch it in favour of one of the spa cycles models. Saddle rails are actually designed for modern bikes instead of the retro-grouch 100 year old design.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:27:38 am »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Velo Orrange Gran Cru seat post.  It has about 30mm of layback and is just the ticket for a Brooks.  I use one on my Audax/tourer.  It is also very nicely made.

Available from Freshstripe in Ireland, Ellis Briggs (not mail order) and High on Bikes ebay shop.  Only available in 27.2 as far as I know
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Velo Orrange Gran Cru seat post.  It has about 30mm of layback and is just the ticket for a Brooks.  I use one on my Audax/tourer.  It is also very nicely made.

Available from Freshstripe in Ireland, Ellis Briggs (not mail order) and High on Bikes ebay shop.  Only available in 27.2 as far as I know

Cheers, I'll look into this, sounds peachy!

« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2013, 01:35:21 pm »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Velo Orrange Gran Cru seat post.  It has about 30mm of layback and is just the ticket for a Brooks.
That's because you didn't read the thread properly

(Freshtripe list the VO grand Cru seatpost as 30mm, and the Nitto S84 (?) as 40mm)

« Reply #13 on: 08 October, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »
If you're using a brooks, ditch it in favour of one of the spa cycles models. Saddle rails are actually designed for modern bikes instead of the retro-grouch 100 year old design.

This. They're way better value than Brooks as well. Well made, thicker leather, comfy and half the price.

I've also got a Velo Orange laid back with Brooks on the fixed as I felt I was sitting too far forward. Works a treat.

« Reply #14 on: 08 October, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »
Leather saddles have been quite interesting.
All the years when Brooks were British-owned, and cheap, it was a choice of Brooks or Brooks. As soon as the Italians took over and jacked the prices up to "whatever they could get", everyone and their dog has started offering leather saddles. One does wonder how Brooks will survive in the new world. Will it just be the assorted incarnations of the Gyes saddles (Spa, VO etc) in future?

« Reply #15 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:16:27 pm »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Velo Orrange Gran Cru seat post.  It has about 30mm of layback and is just the ticket for a Brooks.
That's because you didn't read the thread properly

Well, that's me told.  Sorry I spoke ::-)
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2013, 06:09:28 pm »
If you are in London I am happy to meet up and you can try the velo one before you buy as I am not using mine at the moment.