Poll

Are you coming to the stay at the Clapham bunkhouse to do a South Lakes Ride ...

Friday 29th November (one night)
2 (25%)
Saturday 30th November (one night)
0 (0%)
Friday 29th AND Saturday 30th November (two nights)
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: 28 October, 2013, 09:57:43 pm

Author Topic: South Lakes Rides  (Read 23348 times)

Ruth

South Lakes Rides
« on: 12 October, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »
I now get weekends off work  :thumbsup:

I've been meaning to do one of Simeon Orme's rides (this refers) for simply ages.

Well, now I can.  I am booked up  the weekend of October 26th, but otherwise I'm free.  Anybody wanna come along?  Familiar faces and arranging to meet someone would help motivate me to actually do this.  The pictures are always amazing.

This is the website, which has a 'forthcoming rides' bit on it.

http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: South Lakes Rides
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
I'd be up for next Sunday (as I said in PM, I can't get out this week). I should have the Claud back on the road by then as well*, so would have something other than the lovely horizon to go blatting around on the rough stuff :)

*I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy a mountain bike, but I'm likely to fail in the next month or so :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:09:12 pm »
Next Sunday's ride starts in Sedbergh.  That could work.

It's a bit of a drive mcshroom, and the trains cost a fortune.  I was thinking I would drive across on Saturday, overnight, and ride/drive home on the Sunday.

Have you any room on your sofa?  Or shall I research something?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »
I have a spare bed which you are welcome to :)

Ruth

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:20:51 pm »
I have a spare bed which you are welcome to :)

Oh, fabulous!  Thank you!

Takeaway next Saturday night then?   :D

Or pub?

Or both?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:23:52 pm »
Both/either, don't mind :)

If there's two things I'm good at they're procrastinating and being indecisive ;D

Ruth

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:54:50 pm »
Tell you what, let's ride our bikes to the pub for beer and chips.  Just for old times' sake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2013, 05:17:29 pm »
Sounds fab.  I'd really love to join one of these rides.  I was actually a member of the RSF for a few years, and never got to ride with another member :(

Sadly, of course, I'm not even awheel, let alone in any sort of fit state for roughstuff.  *sigh*

Have a fabulous time.  And don't forget to report back.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »
I have read these ride reports many times and thought, sounds great.  I have more free time now and plan to get a cheap train ticket up soon.  Sadly, next weekend is not possible for me.  But I will look at their rides programmes and see if one fits.  Maybe see you whenever that might be.

« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »
It will be nice to have some company on next weeks ride, has I have been out by myself on todays South Lakes Group ride to Dunsop Bridge. Hope to see you all in the Duo Cafe http://www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org/duo-cafe-sedbergh.html in Sedbergh for brew and chat at around 10am and there should nice Autumn Colour at top end of the Rawthey Valley as you see from last years photos when we did ride at this link http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/2012photogallery/october/21st.html Please bring sandwhichs for the lunch stop and the afternoon cafe stop will be the The Cross Keys Temperance Inn at Cautley http://www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org/cross-keys-cautley.html The ride will be around 20 mile long and hopefully the weather will be kind to us.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:58:56 am »
I might be heading up north at the end of November... I see there is a Horton in Ribblesdale ride planned then.  I could be up for that.  Anyone else?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
I'd love to! It was those ride reports and specifically the bloggy thing they link to, that prompted me to find my local RSF group. Unfortunately they are so un-local and so inactive that it would be just as practical for me to join a South Lakes ride.  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »
I always enjoyed a bit of rough stuff. Registering a general interest at this stage.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2013, 04:36:30 pm »
I might be heading up north at the end of November... I see there is a Horton in Ribblesdale ride planned then.  I could be up for that.  Anyone else?

I think I could be up for that... Will PM you.

« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
For anyone thing of doing the ride to Horton-in-Ribblesdale the ride will starting from Reading Room Cafe which is part Old Manor House in Clapham which also as bunkhouse and a bar more information here http://www.claphambunk.com  Also you can get to Clapham by train the only problem the railway station is few miles away Clapham at place call Clapham Station.

For anyone who wants to keep in touch with what the South Lakes Group is doing, you can signup for weekly e-newsletter that I send out each Thursday evening at this link http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/signup.html The newsletter as all the site updates for past week and details of the forthcoming week events.

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
That bunk house looks rather spiffing.......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruth

« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:24:18 pm »
It does indeed look tirribly, tirribly spiffing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »
I shall have to ignore this thread before I think about stupid things like holidays, jobs, schools, houses, idli vada and, ooh, riding bikes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruth

« Reply #18 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »
I'll have been paid by the end of November, facilitating the purchase of carbon footprints, and it might be nice to see you Jane and Wowbagger.  Registering much interest.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:13:35 pm »
It will be lovely to see you, Ruthie!

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »
Yep really interested.  :P Can someone firm up the date?

Ruth

« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:51:22 pm »
The Horton-In-Ribblesdale ride is on Saturday November 30th.

« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »
Gosh it might even be affordable...... need to sort the digs though but......suspect we will sort out.  :smug:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23 on: 14 October, 2013, 10:29:08 pm »
It's a Saturday - that makes it easier for me :)

* mcshroom registers interest

Ruth

« Reply #24 on: 14 October, 2013, 10:40:37 pm »
So. 

Are we talking about staying in the Clapham bunkbarn?  The last weekend in November is still available, although the other weekends are booked up already.  I doubt we'd get ten people, so it's more cost effective to each book individually. 

Friday or Saturday night, or both?

Time for a poll?  I might start a new thread if anybody thinks it's worth it.