Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 86429 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #500 on: 17 September, 2022, 05:14:19 pm »
Another defeat for Hartlepool today.
Still no wins in the first 9 games of season.

@Wowbagger.  I'll stop trespassing on your thread as soon as Hartlepool get their first win.
So, probably some time next season in the National League.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #501 on: 17 September, 2022, 05:47:03 pm »
Disappointing for all the north-east clubs, Basil - expect relief that Boro' didn't play.  I may have mentioned this before, but I'm guessing you remember the old system in which bottom clubs in Division 4 or Division 3 North had to rely on the goodwill of the FA to be re-elected.  That was 'Pool every season for decades!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #502 on: 17 September, 2022, 06:03:59 pm »
Another defeat for Hartlepool today.
Still no wins in the first 9 games of season.

@Wowbagger.  I'll stop trespassing on your thread as soon as Hartlepool get their first win.
So, probably some time next season in the National League.

No problem, Basil! It's good to celebrate the no-hoper teams and their lack of achievement.

I see that Southend managed a home 0 - 0 draw against Wrexham today. I think that's quite a good result for Southend because I believe Wrexham to be second in the table. Over 6000 people turned out for that. Maybe there was nothing on the telly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #503 on: 17 September, 2022, 06:13:40 pm »
Disappointing for all the north-east clubs, Basil - expect relief that Boro' didn't play.  I may have mentioned this before, but I'm guessing you remember the old system in which bottom clubs in Division 4 or Division 3 North had to rely on the goodwill of the FA to be re-elected.  That was 'Pool every season for decades!
 :)
Hartlepool hold the record for the most re-elections according to my in-laws.

They also held some sort of record for the most consecutive games without scoring, or without a win or something like that.

Strangely they don't list these, their only 'honours', on the mug my FiL bought me.

« Reply #504 on: 17 September, 2022, 06:24:22 pm »
It gets worse, Basil: after my disowning of Newcastle Arabia, I try to concentrate on Rochdale, where I have lived for the latter most of my life.  They are even out-stripping 'Pool in the propping up the table stakes.  I've tried tactical support of Liverpool and Manchester City but it hasn't worked so far!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #505 on: 24 September, 2022, 09:16:13 pm »
A remarkable away win for Southend today, 1 - 0 at Wealdstone, made all the more remarkable in that a Southend player was sent off after 71 minutes. Southend are now 14th in a league of 24 teams.

« Reply #506 on: 27 September, 2022, 12:00:09 pm »
A remarkable away win for Southend today, 1 - 0 at Wealdstone, made all the more remarkable in that a Southend player was sent off after 71 minutes. Southend are now 14th in a league of 24 teams.

It's remarkable that Southend are celebrating an away win in 5th tier of English football against a bunch of part timers.

It shows how low Southend have sunk in recent years.

Being 14th in 5th tier is an awful indictment of how club has been run

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #507 on: 27 September, 2022, 09:15:25 pm »
Absolutely it is.

When the current owner took over, Southend were a Championship side and had a League Cup run including Bournemouth, Brighton, Leeds, Man U and eventually losing to Tottenham after extra time. 2006.

The problem is that the owner is in it for the value of the land the ground stands on. He’s a property developer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #508 on: 01 October, 2022, 06:05:29 pm »
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23006850.southend-uniteds-main-sponsors-withdraw-support/?fbclid=IwAR1FZlKGjIwR-_khDzzmOamrVvVGTYzYQZmj77e_fVjFEXR4nMD9aDp9jwE

Whoops! Will Southend manage to compete this season without disappearing into insolvency? It has been on the cards for years.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #509 on: 01 October, 2022, 07:46:34 pm »
Still no win for Hardlypoo Untied. But another draw has brought them up one place and they are no longer bottom.

Miss, Miiiiiss, Basil said bottom, Miss.

« Reply #510 on: 01 October, 2022, 08:16:18 pm »
Thanks to the mighty 'Dale propping up the whole Football League!  Lost to Doncaster - who also knocked Hornets out of the RL 3rd division play-offs last week.  Hornets were founder members ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #511 on: 02 October, 2022, 01:01:56 pm »
Quote from: Southend United's gobshite
Chairman Ron Martin has issued the following statement.

I want to take this opportunity to address our committed fans on the recent financial developments this week. I share and understand your frustrations and hope the below gives some insight into our position.

The latest problem has arisen due to a delay in the programme.  As result of this issue, we missed a payment under our Time To Pay Agreement with HMRC.  This is the agreement we entered into (like many other clubs) following the pandemic, instead of taking a loan from the Premier League. Up to August, the Club, with the support of the group met the debt payments under the agreement.

HMRC have now cancelled the Time to Pay Agreement, which, given the current economic climate I believe to be premature, particularly given the agreement was due to finish in December 2022.

Bridging finance has been agreed, but has not yet been completed.  Once it has (weeks not months) we will discharge the HMRC debt in full.

On the pitch the performances have been encouraging, behind the scenes the staff continue to work hard and the supporters have been great both home & away this season.  The finances will be resolved soon, at which point we can continue on our upward trajectory.

Let’s get behind the boys today.

Ron

Which "upward trajectory" is that, Ron?

« Reply #512 on: 02 October, 2022, 08:32:48 pm »
The words "head" and "backside" might be usefully juxtaposed?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #513 on: 08 October, 2022, 08:55:14 pm »
Well, Hartlepool Untied lost again today.
So I looked at the tables to see if they were back in bottom place. 
Wow, they weren't.  Seems they won a midweek game that I missed.

Hartlepool have won a game of association football! 

« Reply #514 on: 15 October, 2022, 07:19:09 pm »
Concentrating on the league this year and avoiding the distractions of a run in the FA Cup. Out in 1st game in 4th qualifying round losing 2-1 at Woking

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #515 on: 18 October, 2022, 09:57:43 pm »
Well, hardly poo Untied are currently bottom of division 2.  Having played one more game than the four clubs immediately above them.
It's not looking good 😕.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #516 on: 22 October, 2022, 04:30:19 pm »
Crikey! Southend are currently 2 - 0 up with less than 20 minutes to go. Poor old Scunthorpe are the opponents. ISTR that they were relegated from Division 4 at the same time as Southend, and are now very near the bottom of whatever league they play in now, whereas Southend are 9th. And, presumably, climbing.

« Reply #517 on: 22 October, 2022, 08:34:15 pm »
Crikey! Southend are currently 2 - 0 up with less than 20 minutes to go. Poor old Scunthorpe are the opponents. ISTR that they were relegated from Division 4 at the same time as Southend, and are now very near the bottom of whatever league they play in now, whereas Southend are 9th. And, presumably, climbing.

Southend were relegated the year before Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe's financial mess makes Southend seem a well run and stable club. Unless Scunthorpe get their act together soon, they are facing time in the National League North

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #518 on: 25 October, 2022, 10:11:58 pm »
Another win for Southend, this time over Maidstone. They have now moved into 8th place.

« Reply #519 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:42:31 pm »
Southend up into the play off places ( just). Shows they hae started to learn how t oplay in this Division. Many sides that come down from EFL struggle for at least a season.

since it went 2 up 2 down, I think only Bristol Rovers & Cheltenham have gone straight back up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #520 on: 01 November, 2022, 09:17:22 pm »
Southend 2 - 0 up away to Barnet, part way through the second half. Barnet are only a couple of places below Southend in the division.

Edit: 3 - 0 after 84 minutes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #521 on: 08 November, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »
An interesting one this evening; Southend, who have hit some good form (last loss in mid-September) are against top team Notts County. 0 - 0 after 30 minutes.

Edit: NC take the lead at 34'.

Southend equalise on 54'. 30 minutes left...

2 - 2 after 69 minutes...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #522 on: 15 November, 2022, 06:20:54 pm »
Despite their recent good results, SUFC don't have a pot to piss in and it seems have not been paying their non-playing staff. So the Shrimpers Trust has lent them £40,000, to be repaid within 3 months.

I suspect that this will lead to more problems...

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=864&nid=2156

« Reply #523 on: 15 November, 2022, 10:59:02 pm »
All the above pales into insignificance against tonight's majestic win in the FA Cup by lowly Hartlepool United, who recovered from 0-1 down against the mighty Solihull Moors to run away with it 4-3 on penalties after extra time.  I'm sure Basil will agree with this assessment.

Spellchecker is obviously not impressed and even questions the existence of Hartlepool.  On reflection, I would question it myself if my Dad hadn't been born there.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #524 on: 15 November, 2022, 11:31:09 pm »
For years I thought they were sponsored by a car dealer, until I finally saw “Solihull Moors”.

Of course, I should have known better. A second hand car dealer in Solihull? What was I thinking?!
It is simpler than it looks.