Author Topic: Cyclists are a nuisance -- from our local rag.  (Read 20873 times)

Cyclists are a nuisance -- from our local rag.
« on: 12 November, 2013, 11:59:08 am »
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/features/fairpoint/10800707.Cyclists_are_a_nuisance_on_the_road/?ref=mr

I am trying to think up a good reply, something that has not yet been covered.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Cyclists are a nuisance -- from our local rag.
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2013, 12:05:03 pm »
Quote from: Gandhi
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

I like to think we are now in stage three and moving towards stage 4.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

red marley

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
"What is it about climbing into the offices of the local rag that suddenly causes human beings to abandon common sense, reason and common courtesy? Is there some hidden property in Worcester News that turns people into complete prats?"

But really, I wouldn't bother.

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2013, 12:19:06 pm »
Quote from: Gandhi
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

I like to think we are now in stage three and moving towards stage 4.

Thanks mcshroom, I have posted your offering as a reply because I thought it very apt.
Home

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »
Well done Helly
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2013, 07:31:47 pm »
I have e-mailed Mr Connell and invited him to discuss the matter with students at the University of Worcester (as I have a connection with the University) on the basis of the effects that newspapers can have on social attitudes.  I also copied the Editor and Deputy Editor just to ensure follow-up and Mr Connell does not ignore the e-mail.  I am also in Worcester tomorrow so will call into the newspaper's offices if I get no reply by lunch.

This could be fun!

Sadly, it appears that Mr Connell was being a tad controversial and is probably following a trend established by Mr J Clarkson.  How sad.  The comments thus far do not appear supportive of the article and hopefully this will backfire on what is clearly a silly article.

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2013, 07:45:09 pm »
The only conclusion I come to from reading that article is that the author is most probably obese. Oh, and a complete bellend.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »
Maybe it is clickbait to get numbers up for their advertising sales?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2013, 02:28:07 am »
HOUSE!
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/the-terrible-journalists-guide-to-writing-an-article-about-bicycles/
He's missed a trick there - he should copyright the article publish a set of charges and then claim royalties whenever some hack takes up one of his suggestions.

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2013, 06:31:46 am »
Hmm, a solicitor could argue he's encouraging violence toward cyclists...... https://secure.met.police.uk/hatecrime_internet/

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »
All this is nothing new sadly. I lived in Coventry in the mid 1990's, right on the south eastern edge, so with easy access to some Warwickshire lanes. Lanes which were, in the words of a lady correspondent to the local paper, a "nightmare of horses and cyclists" in the summer.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:26:06 am »
Another good example here, from a local tory councillor:

Example of club cyclists being knobs?  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 22 November, 2013, 06:09:02 pm »

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/2.2993/hextol/road-hogging-lycra-louts-are-a-law-unto-themselves-1.702474

Well, if the cyclists really were dawdling (ie less than 10mph), then it's perfectly legal for following vehicles to cross the double white lines to overtake. It's not the cyclists' fault that the moton who wrote that letter didn't know the highway code.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 22 November, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »
..not to mention that if the driver couldn't overtake because of oncoming traffic, the lights were red and there was no point hurrying to the line - which is quite possible why they were moving slowly. From looking at streetmap the double line cover the last 70-80m to the lights with a single solid line before that

You can also see from streetmap that there's not a whole bunch of housing 'round there..how many people actually use the footpath I wonder ?

>Example of club cyclists being knobs?

Dunno WTF that has to do with the price of fish..I see lots of groups of cyclists over here in the Surrey hills, some are from clubs and a lot ain't.  ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 23 November, 2013, 09:23:13 am »

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/2.2993/hextol/road-hogging-lycra-louts-are-a-law-unto-themselves-1.702474

Well, if the cyclists really were dawdling (ie less than 10mph), then it's perfectly legal for following vehicles to cross the double white lines to overtake. It's not the cyclists' fault that the moton who wrote that letter didn't know the highway code.

Plus the fact that there are very few roads indeed where it would be safe to overtake two cyclists in a line but not safe to overtake two side by side. Even fewer where there are solid white lines.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2013, 12:28:59 pm »
Plus the fact that there are very few roads indeed where it would be safe to overtake two cyclists in a line but not safe to overtake two side by side. Even fewer where there are solid white lines.
Quite.

A group of (say) 4 or more riding single file need a lot more room than some think. I've frequently been riding in a group, heard the dreaded call "Single Out!", only for a car to sit behind us for another 2 miles. With good sight-lines drivers are generally happier to get past such a group 2-abreast.

[I should note that my preference is to pull over from time-to-time rather than let this happen. But then how often does a driver pull over to let a queue past him/her? ]

If a group SPLITS into (say) 2 groups of 6, then unless they are a LOOOONG way apart they then pretty much form a rolling-road-block (see most Sportives for clear examples).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2013, 12:43:33 pm »
The comments section contains perhaps THE most pointless and ill-directed piece of "Road Tax" pedantry ever. Why did this chap bother posting?!?  :facepalm:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 23 November, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »

That must be what I am doing wrong when I ride along Sutton Road, riding to fast  :o

« Reply #20 on: 24 November, 2013, 05:10:35 pm »

Since my encounter with the police car of a few weeks back on double white lines, for something to do I occasionally start counting the vehicles that overtake me illegally on double whites. Today on the A422 between Broughton Hackett and Flyford Flavell a distance of about 4 miles, 23 drivers broke the law. As it is slightly downhill for a large part of the way I would be doing well over 10 mph.
Home

« Reply #21 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »
Since my encounter with the police car of a few weeks back on double white lines, for something to do I occasionally start counting the vehicles that overtake me illegally on double whites. Today on the A422 between Broughton Hackett and Flyford Flavell a distance of about 4 miles, 23 drivers broke the law. As it is slightly downhill for a large part of the way I would be doing well over 10 mph.

I'm not surprised as in order to establish whether it is legal, or not, to overtake, the car must slow down and match your speed.  I'm sure this would cause many problems and I'm also sure most drivers would overtake the cyclist if was safe to do so, even if the cyclist was doing more than 10mph, regardless of the speed.

I would much rather have this situation rather than having a motorist try and squeeze past me and not straddle/cross the double solid white lines for fear of breaking the law.

I consider overtaking a cyclist (going at say 16mph) by straddling double solid white lines to be a pragmatic solution to a situation where neither party (cyclist or motorist) is best served by the law.

10mph is a ridiculous speed when runners can do 12mph!

Perhaps a more realistic speed would be 15 or 20mph, particularly on roads such as A roads that often contain sections where National Speed Limit of 60mph can apply.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #22 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:20:11 pm »
It's interesting that when cyclists break laws then they are being a nuisance, but when drivers break laws they are simply 'being pragmatic'

« Reply #23 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »
It's interesting that when cyclists break laws then they are being a nuisance, but when drivers break laws they are simply 'being pragmatic'

Not at all and showing a certain level of cynicism IMO.

Every time I have ridden at night on an Audax I break the law as rule states:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24  (My Bold)

I only have lights and I do not have a red rear reflector or amber pedal reflectors.  However, I do wear ankle bands and like to be well lit.  I have also observed that I am often not the only one who breaks the law on an Audax at night.  But I have no doubt a policeman would take a pragmatic view to my/our breaking the law (in a littoral sense) as they would take a number of factors into consideration.

I also believe that cyclists are often seen as a nuisance even when they are not breaking the law in the same way that cyclists can view motorists along busy stretches of the road.

Do I assume you would rather have a long queue of traffic, going at say 13mph, behind a cyclist rather than doing the pragmatic action of crossing the line if it was safe to do so?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »
Who gets to decide that it is safe to do so?

Double white lines are placed in areas where it is considered unsafe to overtake. Should we just hand that decision making process over to the person behind the wheel, who is also considering whether they are going to be late, or what is for dinner, or far to often, what someone else has just said to them on the phone?

Of course the one thing that unites all people, regardless of race, creed, sex, etc., is that we all believe we are above average drivers ;)