Author Topic: CET's Birthday Trip to the Alps 27/6/14 - 4/7/14  (Read 2739 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
CET's Birthday Trip to the Alps 27/6/14 - 4/7/14
« on: 23 November, 2013, 04:15:12 pm »
Chasing the November blues away it is time to go nap on my birthday trip to the Alps next year. 

Friday 27 June - Early ferry Portsmouth le Havre, drive to Albertville.
Saturday 28 June - day of the 7 cols - Albertville - Col de Tamie, Col de Epine, Col de la Croix Fry, Col des Aravis, Col des Saises, Cormet de Roseland (retrace from summit), Col de Pre, Albertville.
Sunday 29 June - the 'did Froome attack?' stage from TdF 2012 - Albertville - Col de la Madeleine, Col du Glandon/Col de la Croix de Fer, Col du Mollard, la Toussuire, Albertville (no summit finish if you don't have vehicle support)
Monday 30 June - a short day - drive to Le Bourg-d'Oisans, l'Alpe d'Huez, Col de Sarenne, les Deux Alpes, D211A to pick up the corniche road to half way up Alpe d'Huez, le Bourg-d'Oisans, Villard-Notre-Dame, Villard-Reymond - D210 - D526 - le Bourg-d'Oisans.  Check out the road from le Bourg-d'Oisans to Villard-Notre-Dame on Google Streetview.  After late lunch in le Bourg d'Oisans drive to Briancon.
Tuesday 1 July - the big one - Briancon - Col du Montgenevre - Susa - Col du Mont Cenis - Col du Telegraphe - Col du Galibier - Col du Lautaret - Briancon.  At the foot of the Telegraphe there will be only one way back…!
Wednesday 2 July - col bagging - Briancon - Guillestre - Col de Vars - Guillestre - Col Agnel - Chateau Queyras - Col d'Izoard - Briancon - followed by drive to Malucene
Thursday 3 July - 50th birthday ride - Malucene - Bedoin - Mont Ventoux - Malucene.  What else would you want to do on a 50th birthday.  Then drive via Millau bridge and Clermont Ferrand to somewhere near Orleans.
Friday 4 July - Drive to le Havre for lunchtime ferry back.  Have to be at CET Junior's school's Founders Day on 5th.

Total distance will be a little under 1000km and total climbing on the 6 days about 20km.  3 nights accommodation in Albertville, 2 nights in Briancon, and 1 in Malucene - probably in small hotels.  After days like these will appreciate some comfort.  Am probably getting soft in my old age.

Will be missing Black Sheep's marvellous 600km, the Mille Cymru, and the first Irish 1200km for this.  And not disappointed.  I'll probably only get one chance to do the Alps so this is it.  If I load a bike rack could possible take a couple of others, but would have to know by January as will make ferry bookings etc then.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: CET's Birthday Trip to the Alps 27/6/14 - 4/7/14
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2013, 04:22:46 pm »
Hmm, I'm interested but that does have a slight clash with the Yorkshire tour stages.

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2013, 04:45:22 pm »
Sounds fantastic. I can recommend Le Velo Jaune B&B near Bourg d'Oisans, run by 2 very keen cyclists, should it be easier for you to stay there for one or more of your nights. http://www.bourgdoisansbandb.com/. The D211A (and D211B) are indeed very fine roads. Haven't ridden up to Villard-Notre-Dame, but it looks impressive from the other side of the valley...

Thursday 3 July - 50th birthday ride - Malucene - Bedoin - Mont Ventoux - Malucene.  What else would you want to do on a 50th birthday.

http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »
I see it's a Special Birthday for you.

I too have a Special Birthday around then but I couldn't possibly do teh punishing schedul you have set yourself. I would probably restrict myself to 30 miles per day in that sort of terrain.

I am, however, planning to do something pretty convivial and forumish with my birthday weekend. which will almost certainly involve tents. I just haven't thought here yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
Hmm, I'm interested but that does have a slight clash with the Yorkshire tour stages.

3rd July is what it says on the birth certificate so I'm going to stick with that.  Anecdotal evidence suggests I came into the world at 4am but suspect that starting to reach the summit at that time might be a little foolish.  Although it would be rather cool do climb Ventoux in the dark and then watch the sun rise.

However, I will be back in the UK on the 4th so would it would be quite possible to make the Grand Depart, the ferry gets me back to Portsmouth about 2pm.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2013, 07:39:13 pm »
want!! ;D

i'll check how this fits in my calendar

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »
Last call for fellow travellers.  Will be booking ferries early in the new year.   :smug:

« Reply #7 on: 25 December, 2013, 06:40:25 pm »
I too have a significant birthday next year (in February)...

I'm definitely interested in joining you if possible - I need to check family diaries to make sure I'm free.

I'm based in Emsworth - worth meeting up (on bike) between Xmas and New Year?

I'll PM you my contact details.

James

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:38:34 pm »
Last call for fellow travellers.  Will be booking ferries early in the new year.   :smug:

I'm going to pull out, but enjoy the trip!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2014, 05:39:44 pm »
Have 3 signed up and ferry booked (that's all I can take in my car) but if anyone else wants to join it at some stage they are welcome, will just have to find their own way there.  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2014, 10:26:12 pm »
Its possible a place may become available on this.  So if anyone wants to ride the Alps when they are nice and quiet because the tifosi are heading for Yorkshire and fancies 21 cols (probably about 30,000m for the OCD) in 6 days from the famous such as Alpe d'Huez, to the soul destroying such as Col du Madeleine, and the stunning Col du Solude then let me know.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2014, 11:08:48 pm »
I'll be staying by Lake Annecy late June/Early July & am planning on getting a 200k in to include the Col de la Madelaine...I'll keep an eye out for you :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »
I stayed at Lake Annecy in April 2007 and did Le Semnoz on my Airnimal from the town with 2m snow banks on the descent.  The other fun climb I found for a short day out is Col de la Forclaz at Montmin.  If you climb this from Vesonne it averages 8.4% for 8km, except that a little over 1km in the middle is flat or slightly downhill, which means the rest of it is over 10%.

The Madeleine day is planned for 29th June, we'll be starting from Albertville about 8am so will be on the climb by 9.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2014, 09:13:37 pm »
Saturday 28 June - day of the 7 cols - Albertville - Col de Tamie, Col de Epine, Col de la Croix Fry, Col des Aravis, Col des Saises, Cormet de Roseland (retrace from summit), Col de Pre, Albertville.

Absolutely stunning day today - 6 cols before lunch (because the above list omitted the Col du Marais)  - hard work up the 1250m of the Cormet de Roseland from Beaufort but the views were worth it as was the tarte in the cafe and the chance to see the mobile milking machine collecting the milk from the cows that make the magnificent Reblochon Cheese.  Some of the descents were out of this world, especially from the little known Col du Pre (which offers great views of the impressive Barrage de Roseland) where it felt more like paragliding than cycling such were the vertical views.

Big feed for Zigzag and myself as we try to recover for the Madeleine and Croix de Fer tomorrow. 

Today's ride 179km and 4500m ascent.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2014, 10:00:50 pm »
Woke up this morning to the sound of rain drumming on car roofs.  Someone had confiscated the view.  The problem was that we were looking to do one of the star days on our itinerary, the Queen Stage of the 2012 Tour de France - Col de Madeleine, Col du Glandon, Col de la Croix de Fer, Col du Mollard, and La Toussuire.  The problem was that this was likely to take us 12 hours and involved allegedly one of the most treacherous descents in the Alps, that of La Madeleine to La Chambre.

After much contemplation we decided to set out and see how far we could get, with little more expectation than to get to the top of La Madeleine and survive the descent.  As always, its never as bad being out in the wet as it is looking out at it, and we soon got warm, as we searched for the hard to find start in the Isere valley.  The Madeleine is a monster of a climb - 1540m ascent in 25km, so was likely to take us about two hours.  There was a set of short steep ramps to start with, which helped us to find a slow rhythm, then it climbed at an easier pace through thick woods until a small village, perched on the edge of a few rocky outcrops in this steep sided valley, where there was a small descent.  Then we began to climb through mixed woods and flower-filled meadows until we reached the cold and exposed summit at just shy of 2000m (if you are tall and stand on your pedals your head will just about reach 2000m).

We took the descent slower than Bradley Wiggins after risk-aversion therapy (actually that's not fair - if you descent these climbs in such conditions you get to appreciate the skill and the risks that all of the professionals take.  It got worse about half way down as there was thick fog and we could hardly see to the next bend.  But eventually we got down and raided a boulangerie a couple of minutes before it closed at 12.30.  We didn't see another cyclist on the Madeleine, in almost three hours up or down on a summer Sunday.  That gives you a clue as to the weather.

It had stopped raining and we were both eager to continue, so it was more of the same with the Col du Glandon, ramps up into a wooded valley, a village halfway up with a slight descent and then more switchbacks through alpine meadows.  Except for 2.5km near the top it averaged over 10%.  There are not a lot of climbs in the UK that do that (clue - they need to be at least 250m from top to bottom).  And none of them have an 18km warm up at average 6%

However, it was warm and sunny at the top, even though there were clouds swirling around obscuring the summits, and so we had a chance to take some photos before descending to the cafe 20m below and having a big feed. 

The Col de la Croix de Fer felt like a bit of a cheat as we only had 170m to climb and we hooned past a Dutch trio.  (But I guess they hadn't done the Madeleine in the wet), took a few more photos and then had a very bouncy descent over rough roads to the turn for the Col du Mollard.  This was a real joy after the two monsters as we got to the top before it was too painful.  However, as it was now 5pm, we finally found some common sense, we were not going to complete La Toussuire and get back to Alberville before dark.  It was too much to ask.  However, it did mean that we could follow up on a tip from a friend and work and descend the Col du Mollard to Vilargondran.  Allegedly this has 47 hairpins.  As far as Albiez-le-Jeune there was nothing special, other than the odd crater that Surrey County Council would be proud of, and loose stones slipping from the cliffs after the heavy rain.  However, then, all hell let loose as we found the most insane descent.  We achieved our objective of overtaking a car and stopped to top up our bottles from the source in Vilargondran in high sprits.

These were a little dampened by the thought of 70km of valley floor roads into a headwind, but with a very gradual drop from 560m to 300m over 50km we set off in a two-up time trial and made the distance in 2 hours.  As we reached Frontenex we saw a bright flash of lightning over the Col du Tamie and a dramatic clap of thunder and we soon had to stop to put our rain jackets on, but this didn't dampen our spirits at another titanic ride.

189km and 3750m ascent, half of this done in bad weather.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2014, 10:28:18 am »
Epic stuff!  The Alps rocks!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »
We ran out of superlatives to describe this day.

Lets start with the boring bit.  We climbed Alpe d’Huez.  I kept thinking it would be an anti-climax, but it wasn’t.  I know that professional cycling isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but Alpe d’Huez is the Theatre of Dreams, where Tour de Frances have been won and lost.  In sports like football, only a select few can play on Old Trafford, in cricket, only the best get to play at Lords, in tennis you have to be pretty nifty to get on the grass at Wimbledon.  But in cycling, all you need is a bike, and a way of getting to Le Bourg D’Oisans and you can give it a go.

Zigzag and I had more plans than just getting from cyclo-tourist trap Bourg d’Oisans to cyclo-tourist trap Alpe d’Huez, so having got spare brake pads just in case (descending the Madeleine in the wet plays havoc with the old stopping devices), we set off at about level 3, that’s allowing a little bit of conversation and commensurate with having an enjoyable ride.  It was pleasing to note that our level 3 allowed us to pass many riders who were glad the scale only goes up to 5 (that’s where you get to see stars with your eyes closed).  But we’d had a bit of practice.  And for the odd rider that did come sailing past we could fondly imagine that if we tried a bit harder we’d catch them up (delusional thinking has saved many a fragile personality). 

But we didn’t stop at the Alpe except for an obligatory grinning photograph, we carried onto the Col de Sarenne, windswept Alpine meadows and a roller-coaster road that gets to within an inch of 2000m.  The Tour de France took the professionals along this way last year so that they could climb Alpe d’Huez twice.  I suspect that this has spoilt some of this climb’s misery.  A huge new tourist centre look just about to open and the precipitous descent was full of lycra clad bodies winching themselves up some really proper gradients.  Freshly tar and chipping treated patches made the descent frightening until we got half way down and could open up the throttles. 

I fancied some lunch, so we continued on our plan to visit Les Deux Alpes, a very fair climb, and far less populated than Alpe d’Huez, but with a much better road surface.  I had a neat trick for the descent, which was to fill myself full of lasagne and tarte aux pommes.  This mean I could largely keep up with Zigzag, who is a better descender, as we sailed past cars and vans to the bottom, where we turned left for a short stint on the main road.  Little did he know that things were about to get even better.

We turned up the road to Auris en Oisans, which was seriously steep.  It was our turn to employ the winching effect of very low gears.  Fortunately, once we’d gained about three hundred metres the road levelled off.  Then it descended into a tiny little village on the top of a cliff.  Then the road went along the cliff, near the top, a low barrier keeping us from infinity and utterly stunning views.  Words just can’t render the experience of this gradual descent.  One false move and we would be temporarily transformed into the eagles we thought we were.  This miraculous strip of tarmac goes by the name of D211A.
We rejoined the Alpe d’Huez road at La Garde d’Huez and flew down the last part of the descent before a quick refuel at the car and the piece de resistance.  The road up the Col du Saulude via Villard Notre Dame follows a road cut into the cliff, with four unlit tunnels and a sense of place almost out of this world.  It then winds its way through a delightful forest and a couple of outstanding views before reaching the village.  There are then two warning signs which basically say “proceed at your own risk” before you follow a road that those devotees of the Wessex series would find perfectly normal.  At the top there were more views of Alpe d’Huez as most people never see it, from across the valley, before a 3km reasonably graded dirt road to Villard Raymond and another fantastic descent back to Alpe d’Huez. 

Neither of us had ever had so much fun on a bike.  All in 108km of packed entertainment with 3600m of ascent.  So, on average, start to finish, the road was either going up or down at 6.7%.  About 8 hours.  Photos to come.

Tomorrow, the Galibier, via Italy.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #17 on: 01 July, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »
Day 4 – The Hard One

In truth, this was the day I was worried about.  It was the day when things could go wrong.  The planned route from our second base in Briancon was to climb the Montegenevre and descend into Italy.  Then we would climb the hard side of the Col du Mont Cenis (the Colle del Montcenisio as it is largely an Italian climb) and then descend to St Martin du Maurienne so that we could finish with the double of Col du Telegraphe and Col du Galibier.  Apart from the 4500m of climbing in 207km the real threat was by St Michel du Maurienne, the only way back would be over the monster that is the Col du Galibier.
Based on our previous rides we reckoned that we would have to ride well to complete the route in 12 hours.  Breakfast didn’t start until 7:30 so there wasn’t a lot of room for manoeuvre.  At least it was a bright cool sunny morning.  I took this as encouragement to set a fast pace up the Montgenevre, about 900m per hour.  This set up a long series of swoops as far as the strangely named Oulx, which feels like it should come out of Belgium.  The cobbled streets were certainly more reminiscent of northern Europe.

Then we fought a headwind to get to Susa, at 58km, 2 hours from the start.  Memories of the Mille Miglia inspired a raid on a bar for café doppios and pastries and thus fortified we set off into scorching heat for the 1600m in 24km ascent of the Moncenisio, the single biggest climb of our tour (just about shading Mont Ventoux).  We went from  sweltering chestnut forest to sub-alpine moorland at a steady cadence, not breaking rhythm for an astonishing 109 minutes before reaching the summit and prevailing on a hitchhiker to take a celebratory photo.  We were well ahead of schedule and stormed down the French side, the Col du Mont Cenis, reaching probably the highest speeds of the trip so far (it takes a lot to brake from 40mph to 30mph).

We were heading for Modane for lunch when I punctured and so we stopped for a sandwich at some desolate town.  Then we had a high-speed dash to St Michel and the Col du Telegraphe.   It was slow going, after so much hard riding but Zigzag managed it in under an hour and I was just over.  I sat, dizzy, having done the top half purely on willpower, and ate some biscuits.  We rolled into Valloire and in true Audax style raided a small shop for bananas, iced tea, snacking bars and anything short of a small motor in the bottom bracket that would help us to get up the next climb.

The Galibier starts quietly, luring you in through an almost flat section before it heads up into the oxygen starved high Alps where nothing grows and you are in a land of bare rock and snow.  By Plan Lachat, with 8km to go, I had withdrawn into a world of pedal stroke after pedal stroke, ignoring Zigzag’s words of encouragement, and hopes to start up a conversation, for the small amount of brain power that I still had left was trying to get the legs to work the pedals.  Just before 5km to go Zigzag saw a marmot.  As my eyes weren’t working properly (they weren’t needed, just the legs and enough vision to work out which way was up) I couldn’t get my legs and eyes to work separately, so I came to a halt, fortunately being able to catch a glimpse of the marmot dashing under cover of the rocks.  To be honest if the Venus de Milo had stood in the middle of the road saying “Take me, I’m yours” I would have probably ignored her or asked “are you made of carbs”.

By now the altitude was starting to kick in, and I no longer had the strength to fat burn up 9% gradients or the reserves to burn carbs.  So predictably I felt worse and worse until I stopped again, with 2.5km to go and then with just under 1km to go, just to get everything back in order.  At the top I used Octave Lapize’s quote (misplaced as he used it on the Tourmalet) “Vous etes assassins” before collapsing in a heap underneath the Col du Galbier sign.

After that it was a 38km descent back to the Hotel Edelweiss, done without mishap, although I was so cold and affected by hunger knock that the shakes stopped me from using the tri-bars for a long while.

Suffering should not take away from the fact that this is a stunning trip, with outrageous climbs, huge changes in scenery, off-the-beaten track roads (we saw hardly any cyclists on the Montcenisio) and the crowds.

Chapeau to the late middle-aged gentleman who made it up the Telegraphe on a bike with four panniers (two front and two back).  He asked us where we had been and the conversation summed up the ride.

CET “Briancon, Susa, Col du Mont Cenis, Col du Telegraphe….”
Stranger: “Aujourd’hui?” 
CET “Oui”
Stranger: “Ou allez vous?”
CET: “Briancon”
Expression of surprise, then “Bonne Courage”

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2014, 06:29:31 am »
Blimey  :o

Chapeau  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »
Day 5 – Nothing ever disappoints

I woke up very tired.  Rides like the one the day before take something out of you that’s hard to describe but hard to put back.  You know that it’s not there but you can’t put your finger on what’s missing.  We had to be organised and pack everything up in the car for the (3hr 15min as per Google, 4hr in actual) drive to Malaucene.  And that, in itself, had caused a rethink.  My original 5-day Alpine plan was to use the last day of the trip to climb as many cols as possible with whatever was left in the tank.  That sort of remained even though the original plan didn’t figure on Mont Ventoux. 

But Mont Ventoux had to be done.  When Mrs CET asked what I wanted to do for my 50th, quick as a flash, I said climb Mont Ventoux.  It didn’t take a lot longer to work out the logistics were possible.  And I didn’t think any more than that, until arriving quite late in Briancon on day 3.  The climb as many cols as possible had Briancon – Col de Vars, Col Agnel, Col du Izoard, 178km and probably 11 hours.  It just wasn’t going to be possible to do this.  A quick check of the map suggested Risoul, purely because it was going to be included as a summit finish for this year’s Tour de France and then the Izoard, a relative lightweight of a ride at 112km and 2500m ascent. 

The weather forecast wasn’t promising, light rain in the morning and thunder showers in the afternoon.  So I felt quite glum as we headed off down the busy N94 towards Guillestre.  This glumness persisted until the start of the Risoul climb, which was relatively easy, and then, as the kilometres passed and the height ascended, it dissipated much as the morning clouds half-way up the valley dissipated.   We took photos of each other underneath the Tour de France banner, dropped like stones back to Guillestre and then stormed up the long gradual valley ascent towards the Izoard turn.  I’d thought there might be a café but there was nothing apart from a commercial Grand Tour des Alpes group with a van with an eye-watering selection of food.  We shared what we had left and set-off up the mountain that had made Coppi and Bartali famous, making good time up to the spectacular Casse Déserte, where the road cuts across scree slopes that slide around jagged monoliths.  A few summit photos, and a final ascent, and we could reflect on a pretty much perfect Alpine raid, with only the Ventoux to follow.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:55:36 pm »
Day 6 - Another impossible thing

“If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.”  (Douglas Adams)

Well, we’d only done five impossible things in the week so we decided to round it off with Mont Ventoux before breakfast.  This had always been the plan but it seemed a bit difficult at 8pm the night before when with my limited French we were trying to understand that the staff would only be around to open the bike store at 6.30am and petit dejourner was until 10am.  But we were tired and so did not inspect the logic of this analysis too finely.

We recovered our bikes at about 6.40am and set off into a clear blue Provence dawn, with a hint of scent from the pine forest, heading off to Bedoin via a somewhat easier and drier Col de la Madeleine than our previous one.  We passed one group of cyclists and began our way gently upwards through the vineyards until a sharp left turn into the forest, where the gradient went up to 9% and pretty much stayed that way up to Chalet Reynard.  But it was a cool morning, our legs were fresh, and we had plenty of practice by now of this sort of thing, so we stayed turning a low gear, occasionally slipping up a couple of gears and getting out of the saddle to loosen up.  The miles passed, we passed the turn and out into the open country, the famous tower looming ever closer and the views becoming ever more expansive. 

Early in the day the sunshine on the white slopes was nicely warming.  We doffed our hats as we passed Tom Simpson’s memorial and reflected on how close he did get to the summit, then it was a final push and celebratory bike raise, everything on the trip had gone to plan including Mont Ventoux on my 50th birthday.  To my surprise Zigzag had stowed a couple of small bottles of champagne so we celebrated whilst looking at the expansive views, unlike the Alps Ventoux stands alone and proud, master of all it surveys.

Then we headed down the fastest descent of the whole week, straight back to Malaucene just in time for our breakfast.  Job done.

On the long drive most of the way back to Le Havre we reflected on the six days and decided that if we had to plan the trip over again, we wouldn’t change a thing.  It was that kind of week.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:10:04 am »
Well done chaps!  And happy birthday!

Like yours, our trip went to plan and I'm very keen to do it again.