Author Topic: Squirrel proof feeders...  (Read 893 times)

Squirrel proof feeders...
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
The squirrels have a whole hazel tree worth of hazelnuts to feast on, so I was thinking about upgrading the bird feeders to stop said squirrels tucking into the bird food too.  Any recommendations for some effective (& good value) furry creature proof seed & peanut bird feeders?
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Re: Squirrel proof feeders...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
The best value I have found are these from Robert Dyas http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kingfisher-squirrel-proof-nut-feeder at £5 each. They work.

red marley

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:29 am »
I can't help but see this thread title as 'Squirrel proofreaders", which conjures up an interesting visual image.

We use a 'guardian' [no Regulator, not your favourite paper] from CJ Wild Foods. Doesn't look as good value as the Robert Dyas one, but it has lasted us over 10 years so far and is still going strong.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:40:29 am »
I've tried most of the usual solutions.

The standard "squirrel-proof" cages surrounding the bird feeders are not squirrel proof. I spent time filling the gaps that the squirrels might get through. The squirrels were not deterred. It's only speculation that they were shaking the feeders so that the seeds/nuts fell outside the cage onto the ground. But the original objective of providing food for birds was not achieved.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »
Thanks.  May try the RDy verson for starters.  Here's the furry peanut lover below...  This feeder has previously been opened (with squirrel teeth), hence duct tape.

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.