Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 135074 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1925 on: March 22, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
Things in jars and bottles keep a long time, plus the containers come in handy later for home brew, rodent traps and molotov cocktails.

Molotov cocktails are fossil fuel powered and bad for the environment.  I'm going to be lobbing LiPo batteries instead.

Can't wind farms be harnessed to blow raspberries?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1926 on: March 23, 2019, 07:02:58 am »
I've been practising building siege weapons, mark 2 ballista is in my head, as is a basic torsion powered catapult.

I'm building up to the car-flinging scale, after all we won't have the fuel for them
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #1927 on: March 23, 2019, 02:56:24 pm »
I've been practising building siege weapons, mark 2 ballista is in my head, as is a basic torsion powered catapult.

I'm building up to the car-flinging scale, after all we won't have the fuel for them
Ballistic devices powered solely by human muscular effort. AUK approved!
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #1928 on: March 23, 2019, 10:38:24 pm »
I hope that Mrs E and Eminor (unless he seeks asylum or hides with the Italian rellies) will look after me. Both of them are handy with bows and rifles.

« Reply #1929 on: May 28, 2019, 10:46:28 pm »
The Tikkurulla paint used to redecorate our hall is indeed an excellent matt finish but it has a higher coefficient of friction than farrow and ball, which means I shall have to modify my previous method of descending stairs by ricocheting off the walls.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1930 on: May 29, 2019, 12:15:01 pm »
The Grand Escalier of Larrington Towers has some uncommonly durable hessian stuff on the walls.  Using your bare elbows as brakes is not recommended.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1931 on: June 01, 2019, 08:36:07 pm »
Hessian Wall Weave  :jurek:    Is Larrington Towers the remains of the crashed " B Ark" ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1932 on: June 03, 2019, 07:36:37 pm »
It would certainly explain the wiring ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1933 on: June 03, 2019, 09:46:41 pm »
The original plan for The Asbestos Palace was to have it gutted while we lived elsewhere, alas the vagaries of our flamboyantly named yet completely ineffectual solicitor among other things, conspired for us to be in residence from the moment of completion. As they say, no moving plan survives contact with the English house buying process.

Anyway, it came with a splendidly awful coir carpet. The only entertainment to be had from that foul, foot-grating floor covering was the watching the cats apply their brakes and stop so suddenly that their souls reached the other side of the room before they realised they'd left the body behind. It worked for people too, and you didn't want to fall face first on that stuff, not if you planned on retaining your face.

Now the cats have a slippy hardwood floor which they further distress to their inevitable delight.
!nataS pihsroW

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1934 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:07 pm »
Now the cats have a slippy hardwood floor

Hardwood floors have a delightfully clean, modern Scandinavian feel about them.

But be careful about which rooms you put it in.
A bedroom, for example.

It has a surprisingly low coefficient of friction.
If one were to have, say, a Lazy Sunday Morning, then you might find that when you eventually get up, that the bedroom furniture has re-arranged itself rather more than you might expect!

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1935 on: June 03, 2019, 10:18:03 pm »
We did contemplate hardwood upstairs, but plumped for carpet in the end.

With cats, this means we're very familiar with Doctor Beckman's patent carpet cleaning fluid.
!nataS pihsroW