Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 151438 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2075 on: November 14, 2019, 02:31:10 pm »
My local Sainsburys seems to have stopped stocking 'taste the difference' pain au chocolat
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2076 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:33 pm »
and 'Taste the Difference' Wild Cranberry Sauce.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #2077 on: November 14, 2019, 05:01:29 pm »
Can you actually taste the difference? I figure they just put that on a posher designed label and add a £1 to the price tag so you get bragging rights over the slobs forced to consume things out of plain packets labelled 'value.'

True fact, in Hell, the supermarkets have a 'Found in Rubbish Bin' range. Other than that, the supermarkets are pretty much the same as ours, the finest demonic minds worked hard to make a supermarket worse that Tescos on Saturday afternoon and had to admit failure. Diabolical perfection had already been achieved.
!nataS pihsroW

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2078 on: November 14, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »
I call it 'Pay the Difference' but there's less water (ie more sugar) in TTD Cranberry jam Sauce.

They've sneakily up-badged their Rocky Road Bites, which has redirected my tax-free chocolate consumption. (CAEK is tax-free, confectionary is VATted at 20%)

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #2079 on: November 14, 2019, 06:18:29 pm »
True fact, in Hell, the supermarkets have a 'Found in Rubbish Bin' range. Other than that, the supermarkets are pretty much the same as ours, the finest demonic minds worked hard to make a supermarket worse that Tescos on Saturday afternoon and had to admit failure. Diabolical perfection had already been achieved.
So Asdal have managed what your finest demonic minds could not!
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #2080 on: November 14, 2019, 06:50:29 pm »
They did struggle, even Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, took time from an Excel redesign to consult. There was nothing to be done. Admittedly, the meat counters in Hell are bit more, well, interesting, and the more spectacularly damned are confined to the innards of self-checkout machines.
!nataS pihsroW

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2081 on: November 15, 2019, 11:34:28 am »
Can you actually taste the difference? I figure they just put that on a posher designed label and add a £1 to the price tag so you get bragging rights over the slobs forced to consume things out of plain packets labelled 'value.'

The not-posh cod fillets I was obliged to buy the other week were not as nice as the TTD ones I usually get, but then again that could be some kind of placebo effect.  If Mr Sainsbury would like to fund an exhaustive series of double-blind tests involving the nomming lots of fish the both me and TV's Marcel Kitteh are open to offers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2082 on: November 16, 2019, 09:21:45 pm »
I've forgotten my swiss army knife in hand luggage several times. Had one confiscated in Norway, because of the saw.

On other notes, is there special training given to shoe shop employees in how NOT to lace shoes properly?

I acquired a pair of Timberland boots yesterday, with that weird straight lacing pattern you get from shops.  Now fixed.

All you ever wanted to know about lacing shoes    https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

And you probably are tying your shoe laces wrong. About five years ago I ran across that site an now my shoe laces remain secure and don't work loose.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/grannyknot.htm

Takes a while to get used to doing it but its very effective especially with round cross section laces.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2083 on: November 16, 2019, 11:34:36 pm »

Takes a while to get used to doing it but its very effective especially with round cross section laces.

:facepalm:

I'm fully aware of the hazards of granny knots, but it seems the muscle memory I developed for shoelaces as a child is doing the opposite of what I'm careful to do when tying a reef knot in any other situation.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2084 on: November 16, 2019, 11:46:17 pm »

The not-posh cod fillets I was obliged to buy the other week were not as nice as the TTD ones I usually get, but then again that could be some kind of placebo effect.  If Mr Sainsbury would like to fund an exhaustive series of double-blind tests involving the nomming lots of fish the both me and TV's Marcel Kitteh are open to offers.

M Kitteh: Also, miaow!

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #2085 on: November 17, 2019, 08:41:53 am »
I've forgotten my swiss army knife in hand luggage several times. Had one confiscated in Norway, because of the saw.

On other notes, is there special training given to shoe shop employees in how NOT to lace shoes properly?

I acquired a pair of Timberland boots yesterday, with that weird straight lacing pattern you get from shops.  Now fixed.

All you ever wanted to know about lacing shoes    https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

And you probably are tying your shoe laces wrong. About five years ago I ran across that site an now my shoe laces remain secure and don't work loose.

Reminds me of a cartoon I once saw.

A bloke is tying a woman to a railway line.  Passing Boy Scout (uniform, hat, badges, pole): "Reef knot? Right over left..."
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #2086 on: November 17, 2019, 03:34:29 pm »
Waitrose have sold out of Edgar dragons.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #2087 on: November 19, 2019, 05:08:22 pm »

Finally, the internet is useful.

(I can’t believe I didn’t know this)
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2088 on: December 01, 2019, 09:50:43 pm »
I have eaten more mince pies that my usual ration.

Each pie is leaving me feeling full for several hours.

Will have to desist...

It's only 1 December...

« Reply #2089 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:22 am »
P+1😉
the slower you go the more you see

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2090 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:17 am »
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

rr

« Reply #2091 on: December 02, 2019, 12:34:38 pm »
My local Sainsburys seems to have stopped stocking 'taste the difference' pain au chocolat
Get thee to Lidl, at least as good and half the price.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2092 on: December 02, 2019, 12:50:11 pm »
I've made it a personal 'rule' to limit myself to six mince pies per festive season as they no longer seem special thereafter and contain TOO MUCH of everything.

O seldom touch them before 1 December but made exceptions, first at Betty's in Northallerton and later when almost forced.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #2093 on: December 02, 2019, 01:21:28 pm »
They forgot to include dental floss with the corn on the cob again. Tut.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #2094 on: December 02, 2019, 08:30:42 pm »
Lidl have lebkuchen in again as its coming up Christmas. Oh dear, I am weak willed.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2095 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »
Lidl have lebkuchen in again as its coming up Christmas. Oh dear, I am weak willed.
I like Lebkuchen. Partner does not.
Usually wait till they are ½ price at Sainsbury's, then hide them from his sight...