Author Topic: Smart Lunar R1  (Read 2710 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Smart Lunar R1
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:47 pm »
This is a small rear light.  It has one large high powered LED and two smaller ones.  It comes with a mounting kit for the seatpost and the seat stays.  The light has 3 modes, a) Steady all lights on b) flashing alterate small lights big light c) small lights on steady.  It comes with two AAA batteries and claims a battery life of 100 hours+

It is visible from outer space or with (the small lights on steady) would seem to be an ideal light for all kinds of group riding audax etc

However do not waste your money on this cheap light.  I bought two, attached them to the rear seat stays and after two weeks of use neither of them work.  The switch that turns it on and off and cycles the modes is jammed on steady high power on.  Update: after sitting over the fireplace over night one of the two now works like it did before

Clearly not water proof enough for standard British rain
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Smart Lunar R1
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
I've been using one of these for a few years with no problems at all, including in pouring rain (albeit possibly not as long in rain as you might have done?).  Mine is on the back of a rack.

Maybe find a way of improving the seal - perhaps with silicone sealant or rubber-friendly grease.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:39:47 pm »
RUSA folk typically mount Smart lights upside down to keep the switch up and out of the internal puddle.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
A common fault in all lights of this shape - the design inherently puts the switch where water (which may be condensation) accumulates.  I wonder if they'd do better mounted upside-down, but you'd have to trade off against the increased likelihood of pingfuckiting.

Squirting the switch with silicone grease switch cleaner/lubricant tends to sort them out.  It's not the switch jamming mechanically, it's the water short-circuiting the contacts (the input to the flashing control chip will be fairly high impedance, so it doesn't have to conduct very wel).  If it happens, the first thing to do is remove the batteries until you can dry it out, otherwise the voltage will encourage rapid corrosion.

I've several of these lights, both Smart branded and the PlanetX imitations.  I've had switch issues in two of them, one where water ingress is a major problem due to a hairline crack in the plastic caused by me dropping the light.  The other seems to have trouble with switch not being close enough to the flexing outer plastic to give a reliable button press.

Honourable mention should go to the Radbot 1000, which is a close functional relative, and bracket-compatible with the Smarts.  It has a more sensible physical design, with all the electronics high up in the case but no gasket seal.  Water is free to pool harmlessly and then evaporate.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
I've got various Smarts and Phaarts of this type - I just wrap a layer of electrical tape (red, of course) around the seal to keep water out. No problems with water ingress, even on very rainy rides.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:38 am »
I've had one of these for about a year and not had any problem with it. However, the switch can be tricky to press, particularly if you're wearing gloves. Once pressed, I've never had it not work though.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:40:00 pm »
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:40:26 pm »
I never bothered with the R1, but I've got about 10 x R2 lights spread across numerous bikes, most of which were bought last year from Planet X, when they sold them for £4.99, and have never had any problems with them.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Smart 1W Superflash rear LED
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »
Thread resurrection

I've used Smart Lunar R1 lights for around 5 years now, for commuting, and on various rides up to 200km.  I use flash mode (one fixed, one flashing) for commuting, or solo ride daylight running often - but not for group rides(!) There is talk of water ingress, and I've not had a problem with this.  They do get wet, but probably not been used for hours in the rain, however I have used the 'electrical tape' trick on the odd occasion when I've know it will be particularly wet. 

I really like these effective, compact, relatively cheap, easy to mount on seat stay lights.

New button design, and flash mode for Smart 1W Superflash rear LED   I am assuming that the Lunar R1 has been discontinued, and this is the replacement...

The original on/off button design - comprising a thinner layer of front casing at the lower end, showed signs of cracking on the two older units - easily botched with electrical tape.  A newer unit still with the rapid regular full flash mode, had an improved rubber button cover.  I recently bought another couple of Smart 1W rear 'superflash' LEDs, and the rubber button remains, but the flash has changed to a random pattern.  So two modes now, random and fixed.  The random flash mode is definitely striking and uses a combination of the main 1W LED and the two smaller LEDs below.  This new random mode may use less power as the time frequency of the 1W flash is less.   Previously there was also a low power 'group ride' mode, which appears to have gone now.  The loss of this mode doesn't bother me as I didn't really use it, and have DIY diffusers for fixed LED mode when on group/audax rides, which also keep any rain off. 
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 06:20:37 pm »
You seem to have been very lucky with their longevity – someone always is! – no doubt helped by your tape and diffuser.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 06:57:25 pm »
Perhaps they haven't been used as intensively as some would have.

1W or not?

I have noticed with the new 1W model that the main LED on fixed is not as bright as the older Lunar R1 1W lights.  Which is disappointing as the older 'full' intensity works very well with the diffusers. 
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 07:04:47 pm »
Or your batteries are getting old?

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:11:22 pm »
No, I've just fully charged the batteries on the Technoline, checked them again and also swapped the batteries between different units.  The new '1W' Smart superflash appears significantly dimmer than the lunar R1.  The superflash beam is slightly less focused, but that wouldn't seem to account for the decreased intensity.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 07:22:04 pm »
I've just done a comparison with an old 0.5W Smart superflash single beam and the new 1W Superflash.  Apart from the new 1W Superflash being a similar intensity over slightly wider area, there really isn't too much difference at all between the two.  The new 1W unit is possibly slightly brighter than the 0.5W.

It appears to me that the new 1W Superflash on fixed is more similar to the 0.5W than the R1...   :-\   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 08:25:41 pm »
I believe the 0.5W and 1W Smarts used the same LED but with a different duty cycle. Perhaps there is some component tolerance issue with your light.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:04 pm »
Ok.  Have two new 1W Superflash units so will compare them both, to my older 1W R1s.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:57:39 pm »
Lunar R1 definitely seems significantly brighter than both the new 1W Superflash units.  The two new units were very similar to each other - not suprisingly.  The 1W Superflash is still pretty bright, but in my hands, not up to the level of the Lunar R1.

IMG_20190125_1W Superflash by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_20190125_1W Lunar R1 by a oxon, on Flickr

Used freshly charged eneloops, shed ~20ft away.