Author Topic: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)  (Read 26428 times)

Re: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:37 am »
It looks really nice and the amber flam is a brilliant colour.

I recently built a lady's frame up for my wife in green flam and Donald was brilliant to deal with, modifying the frame from standard for higher (flat) bars and a hub gear (different braze ons and rear spacing). The frame is brilliant and the bike draws attention whenever she goes out on it.

I've another old mixte frame awaiting a respray and build into a single speed for her or the girls.

Mike

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »
Well first ride out on Blodwyn today. felt a bit strange at first, as haven't been out for 3 weeks, + x-mas food and sedentaryism? Had an annoying rattle after  5km , thought it was the mudguard stays, but turned out to be  the old cateye rear light, loose in its bracket, so this was slipped off, and arraldited into its socket on my return. The difference in finished dims on the BJ meant that the tops of the bars were 10mm closer to the nose of the saddle than on jess, But the Tektro levers have more of a throw out on the hoods so this evens out. After about 20k I rolled the h/bars back 1 spline, not much, but a significant improvement, and the saddle I slipped back about 2-3mm, and all was good.
It is quite strange how it rides compared to jess. Both are 631 frames, but that is where the similarity ends. Firstly although a touring frame, it is no slouch, and the position is reasonably aggressive, with a 2"+/- drop from saddle to bar tops. It is quite surprising how pedal effort is translated into forward motion, especially up hill. The difference I will  try and describe thus using images but disregard the thought of weight.. The Pearson was like sitting astride a zepplin and pedaling up hill, in that it seemed to squidge a bit, but the BJ is more like sitting astride the QE2, solid , particularly noticeable when out of the saddle up hill. It really does feel very light when out of the saddle, and almost fixxie like, in that the pedal strokes seem to go round quickly , if you know what I mean.  Those Tektro levers really are superb when out of the saddle, as they are an ergonomic dream, and fit like a kid glove.  The ride quality in different as well. although the same wheels and tyres as before, it seems to iron out the ripples nicely, partly due to the better forks, and partly due to the quill stem. Although I was initially alarmed at  the flex in the quill, when riding, even out of the saddle, there appears to be NO flex, just a nice compliant hand hold.  'No hands' was a doddle, and descending (although not a 1:4 , but a twisty wet greasy road, I did get to 50km/hr, with no wobbles or shakes, and it felt very stable, maybe the longer chain stays). Thank you for your comments, and I will indeed enjoy this one. I will up - date in a month or two.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »
 :thumbsup:  ;D
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:04 am »
Someone told me that Bob Jackson now use Colourtech of Dartford to do their painting but I dontk know if that is true or not.

I do know that Condor use Colourtech and your BJ looks a similar colour to the Condor Fratello.

Chas Roberts now use Colourtech too.

I will put my new Roberts into the 'bike room' when I get it for 4-weeks so that the paint can harden more and 'cure' which should hopefully prevent early chipping.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:33 pm »
 BJ spray AFAIK in house, and I asked them for a pot of 'touch up' paint,  just in case, and they duly obliged.

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:01 pm »
BJ spray AFAIK in house, and I asked them for a pot of 'touch up' paint,  just in case, and they duly obliged.
could i ask please how much that frame cost you was the colour choice extra.did you order it from there website of over the phone.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 06:34:34 pm »
could i ask please how much that frame cost you was the colour choice extra.did you order it from there website of over the phone.

I ordered via an order form on the website, and this then opens up the proper dialog, although to be fair I was asking Donald lots of questions before hand, and could have been a time waster, but he always came back with shortish , precise facts to my questions, with out all the 'matey chit chat', and this somehow made it seem more proffessional. This was the world tour frameset, 'off the peg' and the price is as stated on the website. There is no extra for the colour chosen, no extra for the small braze alterations, AFAIK no xtra for the lug lining, but I did pay xtra for the coloured head tube, and the multi-panel coloured down tube. So in all a 24" WT frame set, with supplied h/set fitted free, in Amber flam with white panels, and all s/s bolts,and  horz drop out stops, thrown in, 3 sets of bottle bosses, cantilever mounts etc (no bolts) for the princely sum of £604. Exactly £5 more than the Fratello, and I know which I would rather have, but you may have other ideas. :)  hope this helps. Its quite strange in that now its built up to its present format, it even makes non cyclists stop and look at it. ???

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »
Very nice, Blodwyn Pig. Hope you enjoy many peaceful miles on it.

Comments:

- rather than going hard on the seat post bolt, I’d investigate whether a different seat post might fit better and avoid the need to tighten unduly. I don’t like the possibility of distorting the seat lug when it’s that type.

- excellent as they are, and I prefer them over the standard SKS guards, the front mudflap is perhaps a little bit too long, as it can catch on things if you don’t watch it.

- quill stems: if you did ever want a stiffer front end, there is a big difference in stiffness between brands and models.

Nice machine!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »
Very nice, Blodwyn Pig. Hope you enjoy many peaceful miles on it.

Comments:

- rather than going hard on the seat post bolt, I’d investigate whether a different seat post might fit better and avoid the need to tighten unduly. I don’t like the possibility of distorting the seat lug when it’s that type.

- excellent as they are, and I prefer them over the standard SKS guards, the front mudflap is perhaps a little bit too long, as it can catch on things if you don’t watch it.

- quill stems: if you did ever want a stiffer front end, there is a big difference in stiffness between brands and models.

Nice machine!

seat post,  yes I realised I hadn't really  'done it up properly in the first place  ::-), and a spot of lube on the bolt thread too. Guess I was a tad too eager.

mudguards, yes I intend to cut them back a bit at the bottom, to nearer the lower  stay mounting point, and replace the somewhat ugly but effective mudflap. But I had already trimmed  a bit off and replaced the flap. ::-)

The quill I find very satisfatory whilst riding, but it was whilst I was 'trying' to flex it that I noticed it, something you dont normally do whilst riding.

Glad you like it. :)

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »
Thanks a million for that,the bike is stunning nicest i've seen,i could buy another make but when i see yours i know its the bike for me. :thumbsup:

guess i had better start saving hard.

anto.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 08:00:01 pm »
Thanks Anto, this is a good blog on a BJ WT build, you have to rewind a page or two to get to the start I think. This was the colour I initially thought of.
http://danmitch.typepad.com/a_bike_build/bob-jackson/

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
I doubt that my new Chas Roberts could ever look any better than yours and its costing me £1500 for frame, forks and Chris King headset.

LEE

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
Having tinkered for years, I'd never actually put a bike together from scratch, so need to choose what parts I was going to re-use and what not to. I formatted a plan, a visual image, that changed slightly, and I became obsessed with images of bikes modern , retro, and beyond. I originally wanted the peppermint and white, but then one day in Tunbridge wells , outside a junk shop, was a 70's girls bike, in a similar colour, with gold mudguards. It looked stunning, and I lost track of the people who drove past and slowed down to look at this 'old kids bike' with a HUGE grin on their faces.  So I changed the colour immediately, (luckily it wasn't to late).

I can't stop loving that matching headtube/downtube banding paint job.

I may be wrong but I think it was Richard Wareham's "Bob Jackson" that inspired the renovation paint job on my British Eagle.  (Someone will most likely point out that he doesn't ride a Bob Jackson now).

Still...yours is lovely (though not RED enough).

Anything I restored would be restored in that paint style.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »
Like the others I love the colour and the whole build.

If I ever get one, it would be close to yours but with discs.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
Very nice build. A tad racier as my BJ World Tour. Today I've chased mine once again over the hills of the southern Ardennes. After 6 years it still rides as new.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
100_1788_zpsdbfb6fc0 by mark tilley, on Flickr

100_1970_zps61585476 by mark tilley, on Flickr
ok, bit of an update after 1200k

a few minor tweaks of seat position and bar height, the fitting of my old saddle bag, and moving the lamp to a new position  on the T bar,(this allows a tad more mudguard clearance and a 'rounder ' appearance of same.) and what can I say.........
its a joy to ride, not QUITE as fast as my old pearson, but I put this down to the bike being more comfortable, so less mashing is required, plus ...coz I'm enjoying it more, I keep stopping to pick daffodils and take pics etc, so a less frenetic activity altogether. When I say slower it's prob only .5 km avg speed reading over say..... 50km so nowt really. I'm also constantly amazed at how it climbs, almost no soggy flex, but still comfy, and I'm only on marathon 28's

So overall ........ I love it to bits. I love the way.... you know , when you pass other riders on t'other side of the road,   their gaze it fixated on the BJ, coz ....ok their bike is PROB dearer, its a ......trek, specz'd yawn, and from the shop!!! but ol' blodders is different

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 07:20:13 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Excellent

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »
That's lovely. My kind of bike.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »

ok, bit of an update after 1200k

a few minor tweaks of seat position and bar height, the fitting of my old saddle bag, and moving the lamp to a new position  on the T bar,(this allows a tad more mudguard clearance and a 'rounder ' appearance of same.) and what can I say.........
its a joy to ride, not QUITE as fast as my old pearson, but I put this down to the bike being more comfortable, so less mashing is required, plus ...coz I'm enjoying it more, I keep stopping to pick daffodils and take pics etc, so a less frenetic activity altogether. When I say slower it's prob only .5 km avg speed reading over say..... 50km so nowt really. I'm also constantly amazed at how it climbs, almost no soggy flex, but still comfy, and I'm only on marathon 28's

So overall ........ I love it to bits. I love the way.... you know , when you pass other riders on t'other side of the road,   their gaze it fixated on the BJ, coz ....ok their bike is PROB dearer, its a ......trek, specz'd yawn, and from the shop!!! but ol' blodders is different
fantastic photos and of course  bike  looks stunning.
well i ended up buy the Thorn Audax 853 frameset from a lad on the thorn forum,
its a stunning  frame i'm really well pleased it should work it fine for the touring i do  just rear panniers and babag.i will hunt the internet for a photo and post it up  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
this it the frame i bought .well one like it  8)
http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/tested-thorn-audax-853.html.

cheers
anto.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
100_1800_zpsfc106bbe by mark tilley, on Flickr

100_1801_zpsf60669c1 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Had a bit of a issue with my posterior (back of upper leg) nudging the big leather corner patch of the karrimor saddlebag. So got some 22mm copper pipe, cut it to length, polished the hell out of it and fitted 2 bright shiny Cinelli bar end plugs for good measure, then zipp tied it together, and it moves the bag down and away  just right,  its a bit 'Steampunk' but it does look MUCH MUCH better in the flesh.

In case you're wondering, the red 'dangly is a 'lantern rouge' and the green one is.........well its me details ...just in case ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »
The copper pipe looks pretty good even in the photos, though I'm glad you explained what it was for. But as for the green and red danglies... you've got your port and starboard mixed up!  :o  ;)
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
How old is that cloth badge on the saddlebag :o

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:08 pm »
How old is that cloth badge on the saddlebag :o

Bought it out there in '97 :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 06:39:02 pm »
100_1847_zps20db72ee by mark tilley, on Flickr

Bit of an update after 2000k.   easily the most comfortable velocipede I have ever owned.
What I thought was a bit short in length has turned out spot on. I remember a book I read years ago, and on the subject of positioning, it was suggested that when in the drops, and in the crouched position, the soft fleshy part of your inner elbow should, when your cranks are at the corresponding position, nestle the soft fleshy part of your knee , just behind the knee cap. Something I have always been aware of but never , until now, achieved. Sure it was easily rectified with a shorter stem etc etc. Anyway loving every km.