Author Topic: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)  (Read 26427 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 07:27:16 pm »

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 10:59:54 pm »
Not jealous, not jealous, not jealous

What a lovely day!

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:58 pm »

whilst thinking about Blodwyn,s climbing abilities, I remembered my earlier thoughts. IIRC I said that riding the Pearson uphill, was like sitting astride a Zepplin, ie a bit squidgy,    whilst the Bob Jackson felt like the QE2 , ie stiff and solid.  Above is the rear chainstay on the Pearson Dayrider, 'audax' bike.

and above , Boldwyn's chainstay. 50% bigger , ie 20mm ish  to 30mm ish.and ovalised.

Perhaps more importantly, Boldwyn is Flamboyant Amber, a colour known to climb well.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 08:08:34 pm »
100_1266_zpsf2b6ce60 by mark tilley, on Flickr

SORRY couldn't resist ONE more.   I'll stop now.

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 01:42:52 pm »
Lovely build and great colour, thanks for the link to my blog too, hope it was helpful!

Best - Dan

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »
Lovely build and great colour, thanks for the link to my blog too, hope it was helpful!

Best - Dan

Yo Dan!   Yes your blog was SO inspirational, I kept reading and re=reading it, trying to choose spec, colour, looking at the seat/bar height pos., very interesting read. How is it going these days, and how old is the ol BJ now, why not post up a pic on here, this topic is about Bob Jackson World Tour frames,   ..... NOT MY bike. Look forward to see it.

http://danmitch.typepad.com/a_bike_build/bob-jackson/
for those that missed it, here it is again.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »
Apologies for the many months late reply - have not been spending much time on the bike forums of late. The Bob Jackson is still going strong, as you will see from the picture it has had a few changes. It is about three years old now and has seen plenty of use all year round including with studded tyres through the winter. It's significantly heavier than my Condor but is very comfortable and lovely to ride - my Rolls Royce (although the engine is not quite a 7l V8.)

Aside from the usual chain, brakes etc., the BB was changed a few weeks back, the old one simply wore out but actually did pretty well given the mileage and conditions. I have also replaced the beautiful Brooks Team Pro with a more comfortable Selle SMP Dynamic which necessitated replacing the Nitto seatpost with a less pretty Thomson as I needed a zero setback so I could get the saddle in the right place and still fit my Carradice bag.

Would love to hear if there are any other World Tours out there in YACF land?

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:41 pm »
Another picture of mine taken beginning of July this year.

Others are somewhere on this forum.

There were four other cyclists climbing the pass at the same time one of them took this picture for me. He said he visited this forum, if you do get in touch.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »
what rims do you have there Mr B Packer? are they polished or anodised.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2014, 07:48:04 pm »
They are Mavic A719s. Wheels lovingly built by yours truly.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:30 am »
Based on the recommendations here and my chums experience of a second-hand Bob Jackson, I have gone for the Audax End to End model after the demise of my trusted Hummercian  :'( This was after looking at a variety of frames and after a quote for repair from Mercian in excess of the cost of a new BJ frame  :o

Will report back on the experience.

H

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »
They have a good reputation and my Mercian (a new one costs quite a bit more than the BJ equivalent) seemed to crack down there but it was only the paint and not the metal.

H

Is the Mercian  dead because of this? Check the chain stay sizes on the end-end are big like the world tour, not small like my Pearson, (above pics) how big were the Mercian stays. I figure your a big lad, like meself. 'always good to be a bit stiffer down below'  ;)
BUT BJ do repair Mercian frames, and with postage and  new paint, you culd have your mercy back for about £300, Half the cost of the End to end., and still a cracking bike! (no pun intended)  IIRC talking to Donald in the shop, he said that they stock Mercian decals, for apres repair work, but Mercian don't stock BJ ones. ;)

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »

Front

Dear BP - how far apart are your canti bosses on the front? I have some tektro cantis but couldn't fit them in my bike, and I just wondered if the distances varied.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »
I will measure tomorrow if I get time. The pads are fitted with all the spacers one side. I'll take a piccy too. What bike were you fitting them to.?

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 08:29:40 am »

Front

Dear BP - how far apart are your canti bosses on the front? I have some tektro cantis but couldn't fit them in my bike, and I just wondered if the distances varied.

Distances of the canti bosses changed over the years. The distance used to be a lot smaller in the past, new cantis don't fit on old distance bosses.

Hummers

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 09:37:43 am »
They have a good reputation and my Mercian (a new one costs quite a bit more than the BJ equivalent) seemed to crack down there but it was only the paint and not the metal.

H

Is the Mercian  dead because of this?

No, that was just one 'problem' and happened around 3 years ago. I now realise that the bottom bracket had gone slightly oval which is not a Good Thing but was not the final issue. Sadly the term 'cracking bike' may be more appropriate than you would otherwise think.  :'(

It has cracked the same on the other side too and I suspect it is metal fatigue rather than a stress fracture.

There are a variety of other stress marks on the frame and although I could get this one fixed too (I had thought about BJ to fix/repaint it), I feel it would only be a matter of time before something else fails.

£300 spent on patching it up is still more than half the cost of a new frame (under £500) so in my mind, it is time to try something else.

Your point on the frame stiffness is interesting. I have a new Kommutor (£40 frame) and this is an old frame of unknown make however it is noticeably stiffer in the amount of lateral movement when you are pedaling. The Mercian used to flex a fair bit from side to side when I was climbing - almost dangerously if I was carrying a lost of stuff in panniers.

H

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:21 am »
I will measure tomorrow if I get time. The pads are fitted with all the spacers one side. I'll take a piccy too. What bike were you fitting them to.?

OK the c/c of the bosses measured at the bolt heads is 80mm +/-,  and measuring from the c/c of the axle (at the front of it) and taking a straight line to the c/c of the bolt head, (ie straight line not fork curvature length) is 280mm +/- hope this helps.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:03 am »

H

Is the Mercian  dead because of this?

No, that was just one 'problem' and happened around 3 years ago. I now realise that the bottom bracket had gone slightly oval which is not a Good Thing but was not the final issue. Sadly the term 'cracking bike' may be more appropriate than you would otherwise think.  :'(

It has cracked the same on the other side too and I suspect it is metal fatigue rather than a stress fracture.

There are a variety of other stress marks on the frame and although I could get this one fixed too (I had thought about BJ to fix/repaint it), I feel it would only be a matter of time before something else fails.

£300 spent on patching it up is still more than half the cost of a new frame (under £500) so in my mind, it is time to try something else.

Your point on the frame stiffness is interesting. I have a new Kommutor (£40 frame) and this is an old frame of unknown make however it is noticeably stiffer in the amount of lateral movement when you are pedaling. The Mercian used to flex a fair bit from side to side when I was climbing - almost dangerously if I was carrying a lost of stuff in panniers.

H

how deep are the Mercian chainstays, 20mm 0r 30mm?

Hummers

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2014, 12:25:47 pm »
Not sure.

It is a fair bit 'wobblier' than the Kommutor but to be honest, I did a fair few miles on the Hummercian and if the BJ only last 5 years, it will have done its job.

H

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »

OK the c/c of the bosses measured at the bolt heads is 80mm +/-,  and measuring from the c/c of the axle (at the front of it) and taking a straight line to the c/c of the bolt head, (ie straight line not fork curvature length) is 280mm +/- hope this helps.

Pants. On my 1989 Mercian KOM (King of Mercia) it's about 70mm at the back and less than 60mm at the front. I can fit (and have) these, which I like and work well enough, but I was quite taken by your lovely tektros.

Distances of the canti bosses changed over the years. The distance used to be a lot smaller in the past, new cantis don't fit on old distance bosses.

That'll be it.

L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Hummers

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »
Hopefully, mine turns up next week.

H

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:02 am »

H

you WILL show us won't you.! :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

H

Almost 2 months now, lets have a look!

You could start a BJ '' End to End '' frame thread.

Samuel D

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »
Did you ever get one of these, Hummers?

(I hope no-one minds me bumping a couple of older threads – there isn’t much activity in the reviews section so I reckoned no harm would come from it.)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:54 pm »
A bit of an update on Blodwyn. As some of you know I was hit by a car , on a roundabout, and poor ol' Blodders  sustained some damage, notably

WP_20151228_10_57_13_Pro_zpsjebbkmvk by mark tilley, on Flickr

A ''crease'' in the top tube.  This has no impact damage markings, and no part of bike or bars can come into contact, so I am assuming its a ''whip' kink,

also a crack in the seat tube paintwork (just below the crest) and 3 visible cracks in the down tube paint, (visible both sides).

These cracks could be superficial paint cracks but the kink (as opposed to dent) in the top tube concerns me. Poor ol' Blodders isn't yet 2 years old. The rear wheel is also toast (or Pringle).

it is due to go to Evans for a 'report ' for legal reasons,

I was thinking of a replacement bike ..ie a totally new, different bike, but on reflection, I have put a lot of ME into Blodwyn, and I simply can't give up. So see what happens as the legalities ensue.