Author Topic: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)  (Read 29140 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:55:59 am »
WP_20150919_09_38_35_Pro_zpszmgtvvdk by mark tilley, on Flickr

This was Jess (RIP) a Pearson 631 'dayrider' that I'd used for c.10 years. I fancied a new bike as I had never been truly comfortable on it, its had more stems, bars, seats etc, triggers broom stuff. Any way whilst measuring the frame for comparison, I saw a crack on the bottom bracket shell.

I rode it around and the crack worsend, despite drilling a hole at either end. So I had good mechanicals just a bugga'd frame. Cost to repair?  £135 Plus paint job £100+ transport 2 ways £50= loads, (this was off the Bob Jackson website. Couldn't really get it much cheaper elsewhere, so started looking at their frames. I thought about the 'end to end' a lot, but liked the versatility of the World Tour, and as far as I can find out they are the same frame any way, except for the braze ons and cantilevers.

So I placed my order, and chose the colour, ... peppermint and white, but I changed my mind after a while to Amber - Flam. I chose a 24" frame. Bob jacksons measure their frames Centre to top, and this frame was 1/2" taller than Jess, with a 23" top tube, measured c/c,  1/4" shorter than Jess. BJ WT frames come with a threaded headset as std, for use with a quill, which is just what I wanted. The above picture is of Donald, head man at BJ in Leeds. I picked up the frame in person, as I hadn't been to Leeds for 35 years, it was a sort of mini break.

100_1184_zps80a37182 by mark tilley, on Flickr
Quality of finish was excellent,  all brazeons had a s/s bolt.  I supplied the headset, and Donald kindly fitted it free.  I ordered the 'off the peg' frame in Oct and picked it up a week before x-mas 2013, it having been hung up in the showroom for 4 weeks, the paint was a hard as it would be likely to get. So a X-mas build was the plan.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:26:11 am »
Exciting!
Getting there...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:37:33 am »
Having tinkered for years, I'd never actually put a bike together from scratch, so need to choose what parts I was going to re-use and what not to. I formatted a plan, a visual image, that changed slightly, and I became obsessed with images of bikes modern , retro, and beyond. I originally wanted the peppermint and white, but then one day in Tunbridge wells , outside a junk shop, was a 70's girls bike, in a similar colour, with gold mudguards. It looked stunning, and I lost track of the people who drove past and slowed down to look at this 'old kids bike' with a HUGE grin on their faces.  So I changed the colour immediately, (luckily it wasn't to late).

100_1760_zpsfca1f003 by mark tilley, on Flickr
Here's Blodwyn.

Other than trip round the block I won't ride it till Jan 01 2014. So whats the build.

Frame-Bob Jackson 631 World Tour frameset 'off the peg', 24" c/t/ Deleted pump peg  on head tube, new pegs on s/s , Amber Flamboyant, with white head tube, multi panel seat tube, and lug lining.

Handlebars- Nitto Noddle 46cm / OJ  (off Jess)
Stem- Nitto Technomic 190, @ 110mm /  NEW
Bar Tape- Cinelli Cork 'natural'  / NEW 
Twine- Plain white parcel twine, soaked in Black tea for 3 days.
Headset-Stronglight A9 alloy  / NEW
Brake levers- Tektro RRL-SR cranked and drilled /.NEW
Brakes- Tektro CR 720 cantilevers/ NEW
Seatpost- Nitto SP72 Jaguar / OJ
Saddle - Spa Nidd / OJ
Front Wheel- Chrina rim 32sp. Schmidt hub, marathon 28mm / OJ
Rear wheel.- Chrina rim 36sp, campag hub, DIY centre drilled for a grease port. Marathon 28mm /OJ
Rear cassette- 13-28 Campag, / NEW
Chain - Taya 9 speed / NEW
Crankset-  Campag 48/39/28   /   OJ
Rear mech-  campag veloce  / OJ
Front mech- Campag veloce / OJ
Pedals_ wellgo 823 / OJ
Bottom Bracket-   Campag 111mm / OJ
Shifters. -  Shimano bar end shifters (friction only) / OJ  (actually a freebee from bill plumtree OTP)
Cables -    OJ
Downtube bosses- polished alloy sunrace / NEW
Bottle cages- Blackburn / NEW
Rear rack-  tortec, resprayed with some wheel silver, and match the bottle cages  / OJ
Mudguards- SKS longboards, rear flap removed, front rubber edging removed and trimmed down a tad. / NEW, with reused rear flap OJ and retro round reflector araldited on.
Pump-  Zefal HPX3, DIY modification to allow pump to sit on 2 pump pegs, and paint stripped and polished to look like chrome./ OJ

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:39:40 am »
Very nice. I do like Bob Jacksons.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:42:51 am »
Got the same frame earlier this year only different paint job. Hope you become as pleased with it as I am with mine.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:43:55 am »
100_1761_zps86f3002d by mark tilley, on Flickr
Here's the 10 year old Zefal HPX 3 sitting on 2 pegs, and polished.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
100_1751_zpsda820010 by mark tilley, on Flickr
t'otherside.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:50:58 am »
100_1757_zps72d093ec by mark tilley, on Flickr
Front light arrangment, A complicated solution to a complicated problem. cantilever brakes + brake support + light bracket. ( heavy Solidlight)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 12:01:22 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:15:51 pm »
Nicely set up.  If I weren't so set on disc brakes next time, I'd want a World Tour.  In fact, I was trying to get them to lightly modify one when I discovered they had stopped doing custom builds entirely :(
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
That looks absolutely fabulous. Enjoy it in good health!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 01:59:32 pm »
Delicious
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »
They have a good reputation and my Mercian (a new one costs quite a bit more than the BJ equivalent) seemed to crack down there but it was only the paint and not the metal.

H

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 04:17:01 pm »
Yes, but Hummers, you do like to give the old bottom bracket a rollicking rough ride, don't you?
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:14 am »
Can I ask what the Twine soaked in black tea is for.  This is a new one on me.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 09:50:10 am »
Looks like it's used to finish the bar tape either side of the stem - where, ordinarily, one might use electrical insulating tape.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 11:31:39 am »
I have a Bob Jackson 'audax' in 953 which I have been very please with, but have just ordered a new Chas Roberts for 2014.

I originally went for a very similar paint finish - Burnt Orange with white panels as described by Chas, but have since changed it for a Kingfisher Blue now instead.

Hope you enjoy riding Blodwyn!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:17 pm »
WOW Stunning bike the paint job is class.
so whats the ride quality like.does it
climb well,
any spring in the frame,
how does it preform fully loaded,
how solid is it at high speed, like dropping down of a mountain pass fully loaded. 8)

whats bob jackson like to deal with .
cheers
anto,

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:16 pm »
Very nice :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »
WOW Stunning bike the paint job is class.
so whats the ride quality like.does it
climb well,
any spring in the frame,
how does it preform fully loaded,
how solid is it at high speed, like dropping down of a mountain pass fully loaded. 8)

cheers
anto,

Can't answer any of these questions yet I'm afraid, as its out of bounds till Jan 01, but not if its pi**ing down. I went for a very short fettling ride, and discovered 2,  no 3 things immediately. Firstly the seat post bolt needs to be 'kin tight, i always put a bit of ins. tape where the seatpost enters the frame initially, to see if it moves. Secondly the headset had loosened, as it had bedded in. luckily I had purchased a NOS Stronglight headset spanner from the bay of dreams for £6.50 posted, so this was put to use.  Thirdly my gears were slipping with the new chain. The rear cassette was a campag compatible MICHE one, and appears to be made of cheese, having only done about 4500km. So i swapped it for a new 13 -28 gen campy one from the stores cupd. It was very very  windy, and my senses were all over the place, as cars seemed to be coming at me from every where.
I did notice the forks are different on the 2 bikes tho' , the Pearson ones , although curved, in comparison seem almost straight to the BJ ones, which seem to have a longish sweep at the bottom end, and they seem ..'finer' as well. This coupled to the inherent flex in the quill stem should give a comfy ride. Its quite alarming how much flex there is in a quill stem compared to a threadless stem, but it should be all for the good. The rear chainstays are slightly longer as well, but overall the lengths seem about the same. I didn't faff about weighing stuff, but 'bagless' I'd say there was nothing in it between them , if anything I'd say the BJ was a TAD lighter but this might be psychological due to colour. I don't know how someone could ride  a titanium bike in that battleship grey colour and smile :facepalm:. I'd have to paint it.
BJ are very good to deal with IMO, I never actually spoke to Donald on the phone, my reasoning being that I WOULD, at some point change my mind about something, so to set up a dialog via e-mail, allows one to compose questions clearly and thoroughly, and ditto the reply, whilst at the same time having a record of what you actually did order! :o I can't fault them at all, but then I'm a trusting soul really. I could have spent a LOT more at Roberts, but heard bad stuff about their paint.  Mercian would have cost more too, could have got a Condor Fratello, but didn't want carbon forks. Thing is, when I picked up the frame, the chap that opened the door was the chap who built the frame, and another chap came in, he was the guy who painted it. Its a hand built quality traditional frame, for the same money as a taiwanese jobbie. Nowt wrong we'em, but I wanted the personal link, as its prob the last one I will buy, (should last 30years)

Oh! almost forgot to mention, its also got horizontal drop outs, so this opens up the frame to many possibilities, ie hub gears, fixed, and single speed.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »
I have a Bob Jackson 'audax' in 953 which I have been very please with, but have just ordered a new Chas Roberts for 2014.

I originally went for a very similar paint finish - Burnt Orange with white panels as described by Chas, but have since changed it for a Kingfisher Blue now instead.

Hope you enjoy riding Blodwyn!

A chum has a Roberts Compact audax in that colour, it does look good , and has a very deep lustre. :thumbsup:

AAO

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »
That is a lovely looking bike. I hope that you enjoy many happy miles on it.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »
It looks lovely - even delicious, as Canardly says. And I think your front light photo has showed me what I should have done to my front mudguard, instead of drilling holes in it ( :facepalm::thumbsup:.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
Yeah it's a cracking bike for sure and super job on the build you got it spot on,your right the paint job really makes a bike  ;)

i need to buy a frameset in the new year,i looked at that frame before. it looks exactly like my Raleigh 753 except for the paint sceme, if it rides as well as my raleigh your sure onto a winner. my head is wrecked trying to decide what to get, top of the list was the Thorn Audax then i was thinking maybe i should get the clubtour then i spotted a lovely Thorn  xtc 853 on ctc  made an offer for it but it was already sold,the spa steel tourer looks nice as does lee cooper as does chas roberts,so many top end bike hard to know which to choose.
anyway thanks for posting photos your healt to ride it and enjoy every pedal stroke.
happy new year.
anto.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:56:37 pm »
Bob Jackson resprays
Not buying a bike, but got a good impression of them. :thumbsup:

cheers
anto,