Author Topic: Union34 Elements Commuting Trousers  (Read 953 times)

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
Union34 Elements Commuting Trousers
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »
http://www.u34cycling.com/product/mens-elements-water-resistant-trouser/
I bought these from Rutland Cycling at the beginning of December - they've only had a few outings, but enough for me comment on.
Rutland cycling sell U34 gear at well below the RRP
These are a very nice pair of smartish trousers, but only a pretty average pair of cycling trousers.
Like all other Union34 stuff they are very well put together using high quality material - and like other U34 clothes (I'll post some other reveiws soon) the pockets are very small!
The claimed cycling specific feature are that they are : oil, dirt & water resistant - not tested, but seem to stay clean? ; flexible material - yes, nice to ride in; secure zipped rear pocket - yes, surprisingly useful, and sits above the sit area; concealed ankle poppers to keep trousers clear of the chain - completely useless. In addition the side pockets are claimed to be waterproof, which I've not tested, but if they were bigger then this could be a good thing, but as it stands, things fall out of these pockets.
The other big issue I have with these being sold as 'cycling trousers' is that they have 'normal' seams in the crotch area, these seams have the potential to chafe - for the price a cycling specific cut in the bum region would be essential IMO.
Nice legs, but not for cycling, and certainly not at the RRP.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Union34 Elements Commuting Trousers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »
I've got the women's version of those - think they were £20 at Rutland a few months back so took a punt.

I wasn't too impressed with the fit - like many trousers, they seem to be made for people with massive waists and small thighs. I haven't actually cycled in them because they're a bit baggy round the ankle (I'd need to use a trouser clip or something, which is an extra thing to lose/forget, and I'd expect cycling-specific garments to not need them really). Interesting to hear that the men's ones have ankle poppers - why on earth don't the women's ones? ???

The reflective details are a nice touch, but I'd have returned them if I'd paid RRP.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
Re: Union34 Elements Commuting Trousers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:39:57 am »
That's something I forgot to mention - the sizing is generous, but not overly so.
Don't get excited about the ankle poppers, they barely hold any amount of material in, and the elastic is quite flimsy.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.