Author Topic: Numpty GPS/Satnav/Computer question  (Read 2376 times)

Numpty GPS/Satnav/Computer question
« on: 30 December, 2013, 09:18:56 pm »
I may be in the market for one of these newfangled satnav gadgets (what with it being 1999 an' all  ;) ). Having looked around on the Interweb, I'm more confused than ever.

So, priorities in order of importance:

1. The ability to look at an OS or equivalent map, and to adjust my route, while on the road.

2. The ability to enter a destination and have the device come up with a half-sensible route from where I happen to be, which I can modify as I see fit (see priority 1).

3. Cycle computer-type data (distance, time, average speed, ideally total ascent, odometer, that sort of thing).

4. On-the-go directions on a map display or via voice prompts.

5. Advanced training data or the ability to link to heart rate, calories etc not important at all.

Not spending £STUPID comes somewhere between priorities 1-3.

What should I get? I don't mind whether it's Garmin, Bryton or something else but Garmin seems to be the current industry standard, no?

deadhead1971

• http://www.scarletfire.co.uk
    • ScarletFire
Re: Numpty GPS/Satnav/Computer question
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2013, 09:54:59 pm »
The relatively new Garmin Touring would probably suit you rather well. It's like the edge 800 except without the performance bits. Check out the full spec here:
http://amzn.to/1kWwndr

However, there's currently a deal on the edge 800 which includes the HR and Cadence monitor, all for just   £20 more. I'm only thinking that you could flog those bits on ebay and get at least £40, thus making the price cheaper than the Edge Touring.

The 800 is currently out of stock with a 2-4 week wait, apparently.
If you look it up and see a price of 268, use this link to make sure you see all the options : http://amzn.to/1dgAei0
Alan
www.scarletfire.co.uk
(lots of cycling geekery: Garmin/mapping/strava etc)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2013, 11:42:01 am »
I use the Garmin eTrex 30 (but the 20 works just as well but without the altitude stuff) and uses AA batteries and not the build in Lithium ION battery. This means that you can use the 20/30 for ever with a supply of AA batteries obtained at shops without having to carry  a cable and plug to get a recharge. There are external battery chargers and wiring options from dyno hubs that I have seen people use but really I think this is just complicating matters. Also please seek reports about the life of the battery in the Edge. It is sold with a spec of 14 hours, but in reality it is much shorter than this. This really only impacts Audax riders and all my pals who race and do TTs do not think that this is a limitation.

Basic riding and Audax = eTrex 20/30

Cycle training and performance monitoring = Edge 810
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2013, 11:51:51 am »
You're looking for a fully blown SatNav for a pedal cycle with complimentary data logging and ANT comms to HR and cadence metering.

It doesn't exist.

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »
What Bianchi Boy said.

I'm a happy eTrex30 user, and have used address lookup on the fly (coming to meet you at the LIMM cafe) when using OSM. Worked fine, route was sensible. 30 has ANT+, so does HR (and cadence). I paid £160, but looks like it can be had for £145, which is a bargain.

http://burrowsgpsstore.co.uk/garmin-etrex-30-15333-p.asp?gclid=CMOiu9S02rsCFW_MtAodC38AgA

If you don't have a HR strap, IMO the Bontrager ANT+ one is nicer than the Garmin one, but YMMV.

The Touring looks nice, but being able to just chuck batteries in is nicer for me.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Yes, the Etrex 20/30 will do about all that. Or one of the Dakota or Oregon if you prefer a touch screen or bigger screen.

The Etrex 20 is fine if you don't want to use a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor. Amazon recently had it for £85 as a "lightning deal", which is a bit of bargain. So look out for that, apparently it will be available again today from 2pm.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00542NVDW/

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2013, 03:56:08 pm »
You're looking for a fully blown SatNav for a pedal cycle with complimentary data logging and ANT comms to HR and cadence metering.

It doesn't exist.

I did say those bits are not important...  :)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »
Yes, the Etrex 20/30 will do about all that. Or one of the Dakota or Oregon if you prefer a touch screen or bigger screen.

The Etrex 20 is fine if you don't want to use a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor. Amazon recently had it for £85 as a "lightning deal", which is a bit of bargain. So look out for that, apparently it will be available again today from 2pm.

b****r! I paid £135 just before xmas.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »

Crikey that is good.  30 minutes left folks ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »
What Bianchi Boy said.

I'm a happy eTrex30 user, and have used address lookup on the fly (coming to meet you at the LIMM cafe) when using OSM. Worked fine, route was sensible. 30 has ANT+, so does HR (and cadence). I paid £160, but looks like it can be had for £145, which is a bargain.

http://burrowsgpsstore.co.uk/garmin-etrex-30-15333-p.asp?gclid=CMOiu9S02rsCFW_MtAodC38AgA

If you don't have a HR strap, IMO the Bontrager ANT+ one is nicer than the Garmin one, but YMMV.

The Touring looks nice, but being able to just chuck batteries in is nicer for me.

What was the Vehicle Type? Was 'Avoid highways' engaged? Were there any Mways or dual carriageways along the route?

I found the eTrex worked fine in a countryside environment on 'Bicycle'. Take it near some main roads and its routing went 'over cautious'….

« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2013, 07:28:58 pm »
Not sure what settings, but I've used it around central Leeds and Bradford (mways / dual carriageways, but it's never sent me down them). FWIW, I'm using OpenFietsMap.

Actually, I did use a bit of dual carriageway between Bradford and Leeds, but I was fine with that.

Mostly I use address lookup when I'm late and or lost. It's been useful for me. However mostly I pre route with bike hike.

« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2013, 08:43:00 pm »
Cheers.

I'll find someone local with those maps in an eTrex 30 and interrogate.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:08:18 pm »
I may be in the market for one of these newfangled satnav gadgets (what with it being 1999 an' all  ;) ). Having looked around on the Interweb, I'm more confused than ever.

1. The ability to look at an OS or equivalent map, and to adjust my route, while on the road.

2. The ability to enter a destination and have the device come up with a half-sensible route from where I happen to be, which I can modify as I see fit (see priority 1).

I don't believe any of the units suggested will allow you modify the route on the unit itself, this is something you need do on a computer/tablet. All the GPS will do is determine a route to your destination. It is up to you then to decide if you follow it or not.

Andrew

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:12:23 pm »

I don't believe any of the units suggested will allow you modify the route on the unit itself, this is something you need do on a computer/tablet. All the GPS will do is determine a route to your destination. It is up to you then to decide if you follow it or not.

Andrew

TomTom Urban Rider !

Now re-write your comment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »
You can modify a route (by which I do mean a route, not a track) on an eTrex.  You really don't want to have to do that though, if you can possibly avoid it.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:41:16 pm »
You can modify a route (by which I do mean a route, not a track) on an eTrex.  You really don't want to have to do that though, if you can possibly avoid it.

Ahh okay so my belief was not correct. Good to know. I no longer have an eTrex but must look at my Oregon 600 and see if I can do it.

Andrew

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 03 January, 2014, 03:40:27 pm »
To be fair to Garmin, the route editing interface is adequate for the "remove a route point and recalculate", "insert a route point and recalculate" and "duplicate the route and delete a load of route points" use cases which can be useful to do on the road.  Creating a route by scrolling around the map and selecting route points is likely to drive you insane, just because of how slow it is to scroll and zoom around the map on these devices.

TomTom does it somewhat better, if only by nature of being a lot more slick at searching for addresses.

« Reply #17 on: 03 January, 2014, 05:02:47 pm »
Apologies to Aushiker for appearing brash.

TomTom does it by having a Route as an Itinerary which is built from either Postcodes, points on the map or pre-saved Favourites.
New points can be selected at any time and inserted into the Itinerary. Points on the Itinerary can be nominated as a 'Waypoint' and passed without signal, of as an intermediate 'Destination' and I am signalled when I reach it. In this case, I tap the panel which tells TomTom to continue. I very rarely use this feature and have separate Itineraries for each section of an Audax.
The instruction book doesn't give any clue to the max number of Itineraries that can be stored. I've had eighteen successfully. I guess its the vacant memory.

I don't number Waypoints, I name them, for example The Bull's Head and The Red Lion. This way, I can jiggle them around in the Itinerary order until the route is correct.

If I'm at a bike shop and someone passes me a map with a route pencilled on it, I can emulate the route on TT by creating an Itinerary using present position as the start and adding points on the map into it.
I did this one evening, only to be told "That's last week's route. He's winding you up!"  ;D