Author Topic: Late season Super Randonneur 2020  (Read 3527 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Late season Super Randonneur 2020
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2020, 03:13:00 pm »
having done a 300 yesterday, there are still 400 and 600 to do during the next two weeks. i should start listening to audio books on these rides as it gets a bit tedious with no one to talk to the whole day.

Funnily enough that’s exactly what I’ve been doing.  Audible is quite a good app.

i'm a long time subscriber to audible, just haven't found a setup (or more like, haven't investigated properly) that would work on a bike for the whole day.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:21 pm »
I just use my phone and bluetooth headphones.
I definitely ride slower with words than with music, mind.
Unfortunately it also means that some books are forever associated with certain rides, and vice versa.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2020, 05:06:28 pm »
I didn’t see that coming! Especially in 2020. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a natural cyclist, but last night, I got home from a 400 DIY, making this year a first SR for me. All squeezed into the last 3 months.

LOTS of people made this possible. I just did the fun bit. Thanks especially to my mentor Tony H. The wise woodsman from the West.

Fantastic.  A 2020 SR will be rarer than in normal years.

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2020, 05:09:48 pm »
Completed the SR this weekend with a 400. Having done the 600 in September I was starting to think this wouldn’t happen as both weather and a cold had meant postponing planned rides.

With the lack of available places to eat and rest during the night, I went for a return home at 270km. Three of us rode an adaption of a 300km route I’ve done a few times. Headed north from Bristol, through Cirencester to Bibury before turning south and a first stop at Lechlade. Next up was the rolling hills of the North Wessex Downs to Salisbury and then headed home along the Wylye Valley, Warminster, Bath (via two tunnels) and Bristol. The night ride was a straight run up the A38 to the 24 hour garage at Quedgeley nr Gloucester. The last section went through the lanes of the Severn Vale where we encountered one car over about 70km and that was a police car.

Very pleased to have completed  :)
Well played Jon. When I get some speed into my legs I’ll ride with you lot one day. Just not fixed

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2020, 05:19:21 pm »
I just use my phone and bluetooth headphones.
I definitely ride slower with words than with music, mind.
Unfortunately it also means that some books are forever associated with certain rides, and vice versa.

Same here.  Phone plus headphones.

Music for training.  Words for long Audax.

« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 07:53:58 am »
I am about to pull the starting trigger on my October 600: my weather window has opened: Thursday-Friday.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.6;-4.8;5&l=rain-3h&t=20201022/0600
My draft route to Sennybridge and back (from East Devon)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34395868?beta=false
avoids the current travel-restricted areas (Severn Bridge, going up the Usk and then heading for Hay (border) and England). I have prepared an English only route (NNE from Bristol and a loop from Gloucester round Ludlow way) as a contingency:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34448047?beta=false
The new Welsh 'Firebreak'  https://gov.wales/coronavirus-firebreak-frequently-asked-questions
announced Monday comes into effect at 6pm on Friday and prima facie precludes rides in all parts of Wales. I actually think that cycling for exercise remains allowed, provided you start and finish from/at home - I will be :) but it's not the spirit that we need to observe for AudaxUK sanctioned rides.
I will be out of Wales by (latest) 2200 Thursday.
In Wales I will likely stop twice to buy food (Brecon and Hay-on-Wye).