Author Topic: A flooded oxon ride...  (Read 1193 times)

A flooded oxon ride...
« on: 11 January, 2014, 05:31:43 pm »
Went out today from Abingdon - Eynsham - Bampton - Tadpole Bridge - Charney B.  About 63km, on an almost perfect sunny winter's day.   http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2148430  Strava app spontaneously quit on me, so I used MyTracks (back-up) data.

Some impressive flooding of the fields near the Thames.

Up from Cote  (taken on my Huawei mob)

IMG_20140111_132350 by ao, on Flickr

Panorama from same place

IMG_20140111_131929 by ao, on Flickr

At bridge over the Great Brook, on shortcut from Cote to Tadpole bridge.  Road to TBdg was closed not surprisingly so had to double back.

IMG_20140111_133809 by ao, on Flickr

Tadpole bridge

IMG_20140111_135955 by ao, on Flickr

Nice to meet you Dominic, and have a bit of a chat along some of the way.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: A flooded oxon ride...
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »
Nice piccies!

I would have bet my house on the Great Brook road being impassable this week. That seems to flood most winters (and slightly damp summers), but noone has ever put up a road-closure sign when I've needed it  >:( Learned my lesson now ...

But it looks like you got through the Tubney underpass!  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2014, 10:10:32 am »
Thanks.  The water at the Great Brook bridge in the pic was flowing quickly still.  You can just make out the road closed sign in the pic, and from here the road to TadpoleB looked fine; but, from what I could see it was the other end near the bridge that was totally underwater.  Tubney underpass was more or less dry, unlike 2 Jan when I went through about foot of water.

On the Yelford road from A415 to Cote, only met one car; but had the obligatory don't-ride-two-abreast 'reprimand' hooter, on a wide, straight, and clear section of B-road...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:23:46 am »
Thanks.  The water at the Great Brook bridge in the pic was flowing quickly still.  You can just make out the road closed sign in the pic, and from here the road to TadpoleB looked fine; but, from what I could see it was the other end near the bridge that was totally underwater.  Tubney underpass was more or less dry, unlike 2 Jan when I went through about foot of water.

On the Yelford road from A415 to Cote, only met one car; but had the obligatory don't-ride-two-abreast 'reprimand' hooter, on a wide, straight, and clear section of B-road...

It's the middle bit, that drops 2 feet between culverts, that make life interesting ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.