Author Topic: Who's to blame  (Read 3340 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Who's to blame
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »
This video was doing the rounds on twitter last week and has now popped up on a couple of news media sites (with the reg number obliterated).  Nothing excuses the behaviour of either the driver or his passenger but, from my experience as a commuter in London, this initial situation is a common one and the cyclist created the initial conflict by rolling back to speak to the driver in the first place. Had he not done so, the Audi would still have raced off in any case.

What usually seems to happen when cars encroach into ASLs like that is that all of the bikes that would have been in the ASL simply position themselves in front in any case, so the lesson is soon learned (and, as you'll see , the Audi stopped in the right place at the next junction).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
I thought it was a viral advert for Audi.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
If the commentary in the Mail is true (ha!), then it really shouldn't need a "complaint" from the cyclist for the police to investigate. If nothing else, it is an absolutely clear case of red light jumping (into the ASL box) by the Audi driver, as well as arguably dangerous driving by doing a fast overtake at the traffic light junction. And that is before the assault (which was not, despite what the Mail said, a "fight").

But as tempting as it may have been for the cyclist after the first infringement by the driver, chasing him down and giving him a piece of his mind was never going to learn him.

spindrift

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:17:04 pm »
the cyclist created the initial conflict by rolling back to speak to the driver in the first place.

Deep Lee was killed when she found the asl blocked by cars. The Audi driver ignored the asl, put people at risk for no gain, overtook dangerously revving the engine like an boy-racer twit, then his mate assaults the cyclist. The driver caused the whole thing. The clip's got a third of a million views, I doubt the driver or the thug are enjoying the attention.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:48:51 pm »
...then jumping a red light.

Anyway. I didn't see a cyclist at all, just a car door opening, passenger jumping out and shadow boxing.

No hi-vis.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:39:44 am »
I think the cartoon on that page is worth its own mention:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:47:48 am »
Wouldn't the world be different if cyclists had a rep for being (i) tougher and (ii) more group minded. No one would mess with the bikies if picking on one meant you'd be surrounded by a mob of mini-pump waving Lycra-wearers bent on bloody revenge. Hmm, image went awry towards the end there.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:50:47 pm »
Hard to say without sound to the video, but the cyclist does seem to behave like a self-righteous prick. OTOH, the driver is behaving like a rather aggressive twat from the beginning and he (it says his passenger but looks to me like the driver, unless the car is LHD) is the one who does the punching. I'd say both to blame, to some extent, and probably both hot heads.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:37:24 pm »
The 'fighter' gets out of the rear door.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2014, 09:41:59 pm »
Is it the rear door? Hm, I probably need some  8)!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
To be honest, I just don't bother any more.  If I stopped to lecture/admonish every numpty, I'd never get to work.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2014, 07:51:54 am »
The 'fighter' gets out of the rear door.
So there are probably at least 3 blokes in this car, including an aggressive twat behing the wheel, and at least one happy to deploy fists to combat words. Our "well dressed cyclist" didn't pick the easiest of targets.

I say good for him.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:49:06 am »
Is it the rear door? Hm, I probably need some  8)!

Actually we don't see him get out, but he appears to get back in the rear door.

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »
They were both as bad as each other. Just one happened to be on a bike and the other in a car.

People folks, they are idiots.

« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:12:09 pm »
They were both as bad as each other. Just one happened to be on a bike and the other in a car

so standing up to a bully with words is as bad as threatening or using violence?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:14:24 pm »
They were both as bad as each other. Just one happened to be on a bike and the other in a car

so standing up to a bully with words is as bad as threatening or using violence?

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:40:38 pm »
They were both as bad as each other. Just one happened to be on a bike and the other in a car.

People folks, they are idiots.

Not at all.

I've just watched the vid. The bikie wasn't out of order at all; I've certainly knocked on windows to point out defective lights, advise a driver that though they might not realise it, they've cut a bit close etc etc. Talking ain't aggression (well, it usually isn't). But getting out of a car and lamping someone as a reply *is* aggression.

Sad that all the other bikies around just ignored it. If they'd stomped all over the car en masse, the driver might not be such an arse next time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »
Well, yes, you'd think that getting out of a car and assaulting someone would be a crime worth pursuing, but then...
Getting there...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2014, 12:02:51 pm »
Audi man was a twat. DM commenters are scum.

Enough said.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »
Audi man was a twat. DM commenters are scum.

Enough said.

A generalisation, or a specific 'Audi man' or 'DM commenter'.  :demon:

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:43:53 pm »

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »
...the cyclist does seem to behave like a self-righteous prick.

Had the misfortune to be in an ASL with one of these guys the other night in edinburgh. The co-op delivery lorry driver switched off his engine to listen to his complaints. We were about the only 3 folk at the junction….

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #23 on: 05 February, 2014, 12:48:53 am »
Haven't watched the vid yet, but I'll be surprised if road design plays a significant part.

« Reply #24 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:54:39 am »
Watched the video elsewhere and it was discussed at length.  One thing that seems to have been missed here is that the cyclist, after chasing the car to the next lights, is complaining to the driver that he/she ran over his foot.  He is then punched to the ground for his effrontery.

Whilst the cyclist got into a situation where an assault was a possibility, I don't think that condones anything that those in the car did.

Move Faster and Bake Things