Author Topic: POI loader question  (Read 1000 times)

POI loader question
« on: 02 February, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »
Have just loaded the latest version of this onto new Win 8 laptop.

I have used the prog in the past to load custom POIs for a few things which then appear all hunky dory under "extras" on the Etrex 20.

I now need to load some more downloaded custom POIs.

Also want to download a custom POI from an outfit I've downloaded custom POIs from before and am concerned that a new download from them will give me two lists from the same folk or even screw something up.

But on looking into the POI loader prog, at first glance, it appears that I can only transfer to the Etrex20 new POI files or delete ALL custom POIs already on it. There appears to me, on my maybe too hasty look at the thing, to be no way to selectively delete existing custom POI lists.

So to ensure that all stays clean I have to delete everything and put the whole lot back, from several sources?

Apologies if I'm being daft, have missed something, or have explained this badly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: POI loader question
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2014, 09:54:26 am »
I think there's only one    poi.gpi    data file.  It can have lots of different datasets within it though, that can be selected in the GPS menus. 
It's one of those things that are done so infrequently that I can never remember how I did it last time.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2014, 08:33:44 pm »
Just out of interest Frankie I have seen some POI files available as either gpx or csv files.

Are there any issues as to which you should choose or do they all end up as the same data?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2014, 09:48:59 am »
Like I said, I can't remember the workflow.  Looking at my HD, I haven't edited any POI stuff since 2011 - but most of the work seems to be saved in  csv  format - latitude, longitude, "name"

But there must be more to it than that because a combined POIs file (Bike shops, hotels, Tourist Informations)
when accessed in the GPS all these categories become available separately in the menus.

[ETA - I've used POI Edit http://www.poiedit.com/screenshots.htm to organise my POIs

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:13:13 pm »
My memory is that I had a number of CSV files in a folder, and pointed poiloader at the folder when I ran it.
A single POI file was created that I copied to my Vista HCx.

In use, I do Find --> Custom Points of Interest, and get a mixed list of points close to my location. I can filter the list to a particular category by Menu --> Select Database. The database (category) names were taken from the filenames of the original CSV files, iirc.

The selected database is not remembered between Finds.
The only way of update is to rerun poiloader with amended CSV files, so don't lose your CSV files after you've got your POIs loaded into the GPS.

As far as I know, you can't muck about with the other categories (hotels, attractions, atms etc). They are either preloaded when you buy the GPS, or they come with the map data.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2014, 09:13:08 am »
Thanks Andrew

After more tinkering I'm pretty sure you are right - you can't selectively add POIs - you do it as a single operation.

So good tip to hang on to the original files for reloading if you need to.

In my case I had got them free online and they were a very select bunch so I just went online and redownloaded them in case they had been updated since my original downloads.