Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 3286 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2020, 07:22:05 pm »
Back to ancient technoloby - what was so special about Zip Discs? - I've got a Zip Drive and a few Zip Disks stored away, but can't remember why.

They had a significantly higher capacity than floppy disks.

But at a cost: they were prone to become WOM (Write-Only Memory).

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2020, 07:57:18 pm »
Back to ancient technoloby - what was so special about Zip Discs? - I've got a Zip Drive and a few Zip Disks stored away, but can't remember why.

Is it possible to confirm WOM? Asking for a friend.  ;D
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2020, 08:01:02 pm »

Is it possible to confirm WOM? Asking for a friend.  ;D

My write-only memory story involves an EPROM (of the UV-erasable variety, with the little window onto the die) doing a surprisingly prolonged impression of a light bulb.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 09:05:51 am »
I haz a mini-disc player which I bought about 2 months before the first iPod hit the shops.  >:(
I also haz a Sony 3-head cassette deck, which has Dolby S. (And B & C)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 02:11:54 pm »

With my first ever pay packet, aged 16, sometime towards the end of the last millennium, I bought myself a portable mini disk player. I used it to listen to music on my cycle commute to work. I think I still have it in a box... somewhere...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 02:18:33 pm »
Does anyone ever remember a 16 rpm record? All the record players of my childhood had 78, 45, 33 1/3 and 16 settings.
My parents had that record player! They also had some 78s from my mum's childhood but I'm not sure I remember any 16s.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 02:19:17 pm »

With my first ever pay packet, aged 16, sometime towards the end of the last millennium, I bought myself a portable mini disk player. I used it to listen to music on my cycle commute to work. I think I still have it in a box... somewhere...

J
That's a whole new thread! What did you do with your first pay packet?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #132 on: Yesterday at 02:22:48 pm »

J
I've just dug mine out, strapped a single AA to it and Bingo! It works! Buddah Bar II on my 'phones  :thumbsup:

I'm having lunch with friends shortly. I'll take it with me to show their 17yo daughter. It'll freak her out.
I'm also taking the tape deck with me, as they have a load of cassette tapes, which they want to check for serviceability, and they've killed their own tape deck.
Their VW Passat estate has a tape deck in it. Which gives you an idea that their car was built when they still made them properly.

« Reply #133 on: Yesterday at 02:49:48 pm »
Does anyone ever remember a 16 rpm record? All the record players of my childhood had 78, 45, 33 1/3 and 16 settings.
My parents had that record player! They also had some 78s from my mum's childhood but I'm not sure I remember any 16s.
We had quite a few 78s. I remember breaking a copy of White Christmas.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 03:18:08 pm »
We had quite a few 78s. I remember breaking a copy of White Christmas.
No jury would convict

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 03:24:34 pm »

J

From that comment I can gauge how old you are.....younger than me :(

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 03:49:39 pm »
Whatever those skookum Gram decks were that the Beeb put into nice wooden cabinets with rotary fader start - EMT, I think

You mean the one with the parallel tracking arm(s) and the tracking weight measurable in lbs ?  They were 78rpm only, I think they might have been before your time.

Otari MTR99 24 track

We had a Studer A800 8-track before that Otari came along and elbowed it out.  Much nicer machine.
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 08:13:49 pm »

J
That's a whole new thread! What did you do with your first pay packet?
A battery powered slide viewer
I think I might still have it.
Don't know how much it cost, but I know my first month's pay was £63
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #138 on: Yesterday at 10:14:26 pm »

J
I've just dug mine out, strapped a single AA to it and Bingo! It works! Buddah Bar II on my 'phones  :thumbsup:

I'm having lunch with friends shortly. I'll take it with me to show their 17yo daughter. It'll freak her out.
I'm also taking the tape deck with me, as they have a load of cassette tapes, which they want to check for serviceability, and they've killed their own tape deck.
Their VW Passat estate has a tape deck in it. Which gives you an idea that their car was built when they still made them properly.

17yo daughter was astonished at the sound quality of the minidisc. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 10:19:37 pm »

Probably a better bitrate than most of the rubbish the Young People listen to.  If they aren't too confused by the source material not having been through a vocoder.  </old fart>
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #140 on: Yesterday at 10:27:57 pm »

Probably a better bitrate than most of the rubbish the Young People listen to.  If they aren't too confused by the source material not having been through a vocoder.  </old fart>
My understanding is that a lot/most popular music is recorded these days with the intention of it being replayed on shite quality kit, and is therefore adjusted accordingly. Lovely.