Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 91151 times)

The only obvious reason I can think of for connecting taps to the internet it to log their use patterns. 

How about running your bath so it's ready when you get in from your ride.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
The only obvious reason I can think of for connecting taps to the internet it to log their use patterns. 

How about running your bath so it's ready when you get in from your ride.  :)

I confess to doing that with the central heating, but as I generally prefer a shower, there's no need for advanced notice.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
My bath, because of contrary plumbing which sends the hot water on a tour of neighbourhood* via a willywonkerish variety of tiny bore pipes before reaching the bath itself, takes about 40 minutes to fill, so I wouldn't mind.

*this has always puzzled me, but I've established that the hot water goes down to the kitchen first, then along the house to the downstairs bathroom and then up into the actual bathroom itself. Which, of course, is next to the hot water cylinder. This means getting actual hot water out of the bathroom sink tap takes about five minutes.
!nataS pihsroW

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Sounds like it wouldn't be an insurmountable effort to close the loop and circulate the water to provide instant hotness.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

My bath, because of contrary plumbing which sends the hot water on a tour of neighbourhood* via a willywonkerish variety of tiny bore pipes before reaching the bath itself, takes about 40 minutes to fill, so I wouldn't mind.

*this has always puzzled me, but I've established that the hot water goes down to the kitchen first, then along the house to the downstairs bathroom and then up into the actual bathroom itself. Which, of course, is next to the hot water cylinder. This means getting actual hot water out of the bathroom sink tap takes about five minutes.

Maybe you need to move the bath to the kitchen.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Sounds like it wouldn't be an insurmountable effort to close the loop and circulate the water to provide instant hotness.

I've no idea how it all works, I just know it gets hot everywhere else before the bathroom, which is the last place that the trickle of hot water emerges. The danger of assumption, we never had works to the basic plumbing layout done when we had the place refurbished, other than put in a power shower and relocate the bath taps. It seems a bit bizarre, I presume they diverted stuff when they put in the downstairs bathroom, but who knows, this is a house where the central heating pipes to my remote command centre venture outside. It's a triumph of British workmanship. This is probably what happens when you buy a house from BBC set designers.
!nataS pihsroW