Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 123664 times)

Adding a new Time Machine disk to the Mac.  Backing up...approximately 1 day remaining.  :-\
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Fitbit have sold out to Google
I got a random email ad for a Fitbit Charge 4, advertising 24/7 heart rate and sleep scores.

Google must have some good battery tech if it will run for a week.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
Nah. It only runs for a week if the display is off. I get 24/7 HR & stuff and a 5+ day battery life. As soon as the display is always-on I get 2 days.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The random whiny fan noises being emitted by that PC over there ^^^^ are slowly but surely making me Very Cross.  Would someone please tell me that it would be a terrible waste of a thousand of Missis Kwin's pounds to buy one of Messrs Quiet PC's silent offerings?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
The random whiny fan noises being emitted by that PC over there ^^^^ are slowly but surely making me Very Cross.

I get that with barakta's ork laptop.  Her hearing aid (if it's even switched on, and not receiving beepy euro-pop via it's proprietary version of The Devil's Other Radio) does a splendid job of filtering out the fan noises, which combined with the laptop's habit of coming out of sleep and thrashing the CPU for no apparent reason[1] means it'll often be found just sitting there whining away when not even being used for something productive[2].  My main line of defence is a pair of Bose QC-15s.

[1] I think it's related to their security gubbins.  No admin privs to disable that sort of thing, natch.  Means you have to shut it all the way down if you don't want to risk an unexpected batt flattery.
[2] Or PDF-wrangling.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Adding a new Time Machine disk to the Mac.  Backing up...approximately 1 day remaining.  :-\

That’s why it’s a time machine always a few days behind

It is possible to unlock an iPhone from a contract provider without the intervention of said contract provider.
Well, it was news to me.

Discovered on Windows 10 that I can easily run commands from the Windows Linux subsystem against files located in the Windows file system.

Had a csv with 4 million rows I need sorting by the first column (as a number).  Windows PowerShell sort could not cope , but sort from WSL Ubuntu completed in a second or so.

Neat.