Author Topic: Eden Valley Group ride - Sat 5th April (was Anyone fancy an Eden Valley Ride?)  (Read 6311 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Beer at the end depends on how many caik stops I'd imagine :)

Trying to work out how the maximum gradient is <8% according to MMR, but the OS maps have a couple chevrons on route :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Chevrons? :o Eek!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
5 Ups and 3 downs on the route.

You riding fixed phanta? ;D

Sedbergh is the only one of those three I've been to before. We went there with the Rough Stuff Fellowship back in the autumn - http://www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org/duo-cafe-sedbergh.html

I've been there a couple of times, though the last time was in 2010, and on Saturday it was closed (though it was nearly eight o'clock and the chairs were on the tables).

Quite friendly towards a couple of knackered cyclists, and good coffee. Good tea cakes, too.

I think we're near enough to the ride to be able to half believe the weather forecasts.
Headwind all day and rain at some stage.
It'll be like a fun version of audax without the return leg :)

We're going to head to Booths for breakfast because I know where it is and the cafe opens at 08.30.

I think we're near enough to the ride to be able to half believe the weather forecasts.
Headwind all day and rain at some stage.

I'm still hoping they're wrong... :-\

You riding fixed phanta? ;D

No. I was going to, but I don't fancy it in that headwind so I'll be on the other bike.

Ah, it'll be like When I'm 64 all over again... :facepalm:

On the plus side, it looks as though the temperature should hit double figures!

Ah, it'll be like When I'm 64 all over again... :facepalm:

I sincerely hope not.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It'll be like a fun version of audax

Oh, marvellous.

Rainlegs on standby, though I'm currently wibbling about the state of my lungs.

It'll be like a fun version of audax

Oh, marvellous.

Rainlegs on standby, though I'm currently wibbling about the state of my lungs.

I'm wibbling about everything !  I don't think I've done a decent ride since last November or December !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cycling down today it was wet the whole way until 10 ml from Penrith when the roads dried up. Lovely evening here the now.

Have fun, I won't be coming. I tried to persuade my wife to come along but having seen the route, she wimped out. However, we will ride part of mcshroom's Carlisle-Newcastle route instead.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Enjoy you lot, of course we must have a write up.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Despite it being audax o'clock, I'm not feeling the fear.
More good news; it's not raining here so at least we shan't be wet on the train.

Despite it being audax o'clock, I'm not feeling the fear.

Ditto. I can't tell whether it's raining here; too dark!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
No asthma attack, so I'm dragging myself out...

Sorry folks. My nose is running like  a tap,  I'm shivery & have no interest in eating breakfast.  See you on the next one.  I'm going back to bed  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Sorry folks. My nose is running like  a tap,  I'm shivery & have no interest in eating breakfast.  See you on the next one.  I'm going back to bed  :(

GWS.

I'm at the station, ingesting much-needed caffeine.

Little bit of envy.  Unusually for me in recent years, I am fit enough for this. 

Have fun.   8)

Carlisle now. More caffeine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Well, that certainly delivered on the "like audax" side.  Not sure about the "fun".  Mcshroom has another three-letter word to describe it.

*drags self to bathroom*

Sorry I lost you in Lancaster. I had pulled in at the shopping centre to cut through the town. You cycled past without seeing me.
Waited on platform 4 with the sth bounds for a while.
Can't believe how many hills there were between KL and Lancaster. No wonder so many pro cyclists live in Lancaster.
Natalie was definitely KoM today

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've no photos to upload, as the conditions weren't really conducive to photography (someone needs to go back with an underwater camera and get the triple-whammy for the bridge thread), so instead I present the following quotes:

"We could be in a Carradice advert!"

"What was that animal back there?"
"Dead badger."
"Are badgers usually that colour?  Wait, here's another one!  Ginger badgers!  I don't think I like this..."

(A car approaches, and word is passed up the group...)
"CAR BACK!"
"CAR BEHIND!"
"CAR UP!"
"Erm, OIL!"  (In homage to the recent thread.)

(On stopping at this junction: http://goo.gl/maps/tDUtw)
"Got the earworm for the rest of the ride worked out."
"Oh?"
"M6 to the left of me, M6 to the right of me.  Here I am, stuck in the middle..."

"'SEVERE DESCENT'?  Severely shite road surface, more like."
(We later decided that 'SEVERE DESCENT' signs were actually useful pre-warning of a severely annoying climb.)

"Barr?"
"Baa!" "Baa!" (in stereo)
"Barr!"
"Baa!" "Baa!"
"BARR!"
"Baa!" "Baa!"
(Ewe and synchronised lambs, being distressed by an approaching pair of ducks.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Natalie was definitely KoM today

Absolutely.  I think I need some of that coffee.  Or, less optimally, to spend more time cycling around Glasgow without any gears...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Ride Report: WET

Another thing to add is that from Shap Summit to Sedbergh is the most uphill feeling downhill I've ever ridden