Author Topic: Vittoria Voyager Hyper  (Read 8408 times)

Vittoria Voyager Hyper
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:35 pm »
I am running a pair of Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tyres on my Claud Butler Dalesman touring bike, in 35mm width. I bought them from Planet x for £19.99 each and I think they are excellent, very light (395g), comfy and quick. They are 120tpi folding tyres with a virtually slick tread and 'Speed Shielding' puncture protection. I have had no punctures in about 2000 miles but I am not a puncture magnet. I would say they are better than Panracer Paselas in comfort and speed terms. http://www.vittoria.com/product/touring/

This tyre has now been renamed the Voyager Hyper and Planet X are still selling at the same price: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyrehttp://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre Sizing is a bit confusing: they are marked 37-622 and 700x35c, hence Planet X call them 37 mm but they measure about 35mm on my rims (which are about 19mm internal width). There are 32mm and 38mm versions but not at Planet X at the same price.

Re: Vittoria Voyager Hyper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:46:17 pm »
I've run both on the same bike. They aren't anywhere near the comfort of a pasela, but are more puncture-resistant. Harder rubber makes for less grip but reasonably hard-wearing. Very good value compared to Paselas

I wore the rear down to the blue puncture-resistant layer, the front was wrecked by a bit of debris that punched through the sidewall.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:18:34 am »
I've run both on the same bike. They aren't anywhere near the comfort of a pasela, but are more puncture-resistant. Harder rubber makes for less grip but reasonably hard-wearing. Very good value compared to Paselas

I wore the rear down to the blue puncture-resistant layer, the front was wrecked by a bit of debris that punched through the sidewall.
Really? Are you sure they were the Hypers? Randonneur Pros are another popular Vittoria folding tyre on touring bikes but they are much sturdier, more like a Schwalbe Marathon and more like your description IMO...

Randonneur Pro:

Voyager Hyper (previously Randonneur Hyper):

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:22:39 am »
I've just checked; they were Randoneur Pro, not Hypers.

Huh - maybe I'll have to try the Hypers now.

What is the width on the bike?  The 'Randonneur Pros' that I had said they were 32mm but measured 30mm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:30:29 am »
I have both. The Randonneur Pro 32mm measures 29.7mm on 19mm rims. The Voyager Hyper 32mm measures 32mm :thumbsup: on the same rim.

Highly recommend both - very comfy 'rollers'

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
I've just checked; they were Randoneur Pro, not Hypers.

Huh - maybe I'll have to try the Hypers now.

What is the width on the bike?  The 'Randonneur Pros' that I had said they were 32mm but measured 30mm.
I said in the first post:
Quote from: niggle
Sizing is a bit confusing: they are marked 37-622 and 700x35c, hence Planet X call them 37 mm but they measure about 35mm on my rims (which are about 19mm internal width).
;)

Vittoria's Technical Table says:

ETRTO       Size      Weight
32-622   700x32c   350
37-622   700x35c   395
40-622   700x38c   440

So the 'Size' marked 700x??c is the one to believe on these.

Sizing is such a lottery: I have "28mm" Vittoria Rubino Pros on another bike on perfectly sensible 15mm rims, but they are actually 26mm, as is often the case with tyres for the 20-28mm range, but OTOH I had 32mm Panaracer Paselas and that is exactly what they measured.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
My Schwalbe Marathons are also labelled as 37-622 or 700x35c
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »
I'm a big fan of Randonneur/Voyager Hyper tyres. Rode all last season on 32s, including an SR series, LEL and a bunch of other randonees. Nice and supple, durable enough, easy to fit (Velocity A23 rims), only one flat all year (rear - probably too worn), just put a new pair on for the coming season. Similar performance to Marathon Supremes, but less expensive. I'm not usually so fanboy-ish about a bike product, but these have really impressed me.

They're definitely for those who like a wider, lower pressure tire (I run them at 70-80 psi and I'm not a lightweight) for a good compromise between comfort and speed on long rides. If you're a no compromises, speed at all costs kind of rider, you might like something a little lighter and narrower.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 04:19:04 pm »
I've been loving these - except that on Sunday I went for a ride and found the rear wheel spinning when riding uphill.

Sure, it was wet and I'd been through a bit of mud on the road previously. But the hill wasn't that steep and I'm not that powerful a rider. It wasn't on that black polished tar either, there was a fair bit of bluemetal in the road.

Had to sit down to keep traction. Made me a bit tentative when going downhill for the rest of the ride.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fd3

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:16 pm »
After a few rides I sold mine on.  I got quite a bit of skidding when leg breaking which I never got with my kojaks.  I did like the extra comfort (possibly imagined) of the extra couple mm from the 38s though.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:50:58 pm »
I've currently got 32mm Marathon Greenguards on my dawes horizon tourer / commuter bike.  These Vittoria Voyager Hyper sound like a good choice for next spring / summer for a lighter plusher tyre, as the marathon greenguards are pretty wooden feeling... 

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:29 am »
I've currently got 32mm Marathon Greenguards on my dawes horizon tourer / commuter bike.  These Vittoria Voyager Hyper sound like a good choice for next spring / summer for a lighter plusher tyre, as the marathon greenguards are pretty wooden feeling...

I had the 38 mm ones (or 37)... didn't like them very much... probably too big and not as puncture resistant as I hoped. Managed to get 2 flats in just over 1000 miles riding only on roads. I did like the Randoneur 32 a lot more... maybe the size, maybe because they did seem more puncture resistant