Author Topic: Bolle contour glasses  (Read 3789 times)

Bolle contour glasses
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:07:16 pm »
My much loved (and used ) Rudy Rydons have finally retired themselves. The lenses have cracked and the frame is knackered, the rubber arms have also perished :( I've looked at new Rydons and replacement parts but they are massively overpriced!

After speaking to another cyclists at work last week, he mentioned the bolle safety glasses. I was a little apprehensive about buying cheap plastic glasses meant for welding, hammering and chiseling duties but he showed me his. He had the metal frame version with smoked lenses, £10 per pair!!

That was the deal clincher, straight onto eBay with a clear lens on order and a pair of ESP lenses ( very light smoke ). They've arrived today and are fantastic. I've had the plastic frames, don't fancy a metal arm going into my face when taking a tumble. They look like cycling glasses, very similar to the Rydons. The quality is very good for a £5 pair of glasses, they look more expensive than they are. Each pair came with a little cloth bag that also wipes the lenses too. They fit really well, wrapping around the eyes with a bit of side protection. The nose bridge is rubberised and super comfy, as are the arms. I'll be trying the clear out tonight on a night ride.

Why are we robbed when cycling is mentioned? Both pairs delivered for £12 total. If these get broken or damaged I doubt I'd be really upset, cheap to replace unlike my Rydons.

The metal frames are much better but they're more of a risk than plastic if you fall. Overall I'd highly recommend these :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bolle contour glasses
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:32 pm »
Safety glasses are a commodity, so cost of manufacture plus competitive markup.

Sports glasses are status products, so whatever the market will pay. Also, sponsorship has to be paid from somewhere.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:50 pm »
Sounds a good idea, expensive kit creates anxiety. Which style did you get by the way.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:55 pm »
Sounds a good idea, expensive kit creates anxiety. Which style did you get by the way.

I had a clear and esp pair of these

http://www.bolle-safety.com/model/contour

The clear pair had a test tonight, they're excellent. The wrap around is just right, the clarity is spot on with no blur to the vision. They didn't mist up either. I may get a spare set for when these are worn out, just in case they stop selling them.

I'm happy with my non sponsored, cheap specs :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:39 pm »
Thanks, ordered a pair this evening may even look cool for the weekend!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:57 pm »
Thanks, ordered a pair this evening may even look cool for the weekend!

You'll look 'specs'tacular ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:03:14 pm »
I have been looking at my dentist safety glasses and wondered if they did a sun glass version.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:59 am »
I have been looking at my dentist safety glasses and wondered if they did a sun glass version.

Oddly enough, they do, as there are a number of preparations used in dentistry that are UV set.

the last dentist visit I had saw me having to wear a pair.  The ones my dentist uses, though, are far from what could be classed as "cool"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 01:57:05 pm »
I bought these last year when they were on offer at £6 and been wearing them for cycling ever since (during daylight!).  They're as good if not better quality than many cycling-specific glasses I've bought in the past and at this price it's OK if they get broken/lost.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006XBSVZG/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 02:36:08 pm »
After a search for safety glasses, I found that you could get a 10 pack of some ok looking ones for under £25 shipped from China.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
My pair arrived today. Look great, feel great, seen similar sold as cycling glasses for £30 plus, why pay more!

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:38:17 am »
:thumbsup:
They're much better than the dhb type of glasses,  mine fell apart! I love a bargain.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:28 am »
as someone who always want to buy from my LBS- even i have been seduced by Bolle

got some clear ones for £9 delivered from an industrial co- better fit than Rudy and pretty much the same for build and quality

but then I suppose the average guy with an angle grinder is not being paid £50k to promote and wear them on the podium!

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »
I've recently bought some of these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171208841661

Like the  Contour but clear plastic frame and wrap round - so nothing to interfere with peripheral vision _ which was an occasional issue with the Contours.....
They don't feel as sturdy as the metal frame Contour = but for the money feel like great value / quality