Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 206100 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3075 on: January 28, 2020, 06:08:29 pm »
From what I’ve read. Early onset type 2 diabetes is rising massively in the younger generations.  It’s one of the reasons that life expectancy is dropping for the first time in years.  The younger generation is the first generation in a long time likely to live less years than their parents.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #3076 on: January 30, 2020, 11:32:16 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/cancercouncilaustralia/videos/185114115923809/

Feeling rather proud of someone in that video...  :)
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3077 on: February 01, 2020, 07:03:42 am »
Get well soon
Don't die of BOREDOM!

Boredom hits after just a couple of weeks on this low residue diet..

What I'd give for a nice bowl of Scott's Porridge Oats (not allowed) , brown bread toast, and a nice crispy skinned baked potato.😑

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3078 on: February 01, 2020, 11:36:50 am »
You have my sympathy...

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3079 on: February 01, 2020, 04:53:04 pm »
And mine.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3080 on: February 02, 2020, 12:17:40 am »
I had a nerve block on my shoulder (supra-scapular) on 14th Dec, kicked in on 15th, was like MAGIC! I could lie on my left side, sleep better and 50-75% of my shoulder/back/neck pain including some of the right sided stuff went away.

It lasted a whole 3 weeks :(.  (which is waaay shorter than they said it would)

Getting into pain management without clashing with work (I lose pay if I don't get to office 2 hours away or other appointments) is proving challenging. I fear it'll be mid-March before I get to talk to anyone.

Pain consultant didn't want me on higher doses of celecoxib (the ones that had any effect, the lower dose was useless).

I'm really struggling, severe pain between 2-4 days a week where I can't sleep and large amounts of codeine wreck my ability to function/work. Diazepam helps a bit but I've rightly got very limited amounts.

If the final pain mgt appt is more than 6 weeks away I'm going back to my GP for ideas cos this is stupid. Also worried pain management won't do radio ablation if it didn't last long enough... Annoying, cos I never expected it to work at all, but to work for tiny periods of time then revert again is almost worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3081 on: February 02, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
Oh dear!

I really hope you get some sensible input ASAP!

It's folk like you who make me realise how lucky I am to be pain-free.

Thinking of you...

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3082 on: February 05, 2020, 11:37:02 am »
Called El Prez to set up a ride for this afternoon: "Nah - streaming cold, sore throat, I need antibiotics."  He has an old-fashioned doc who'll probably give him them, too, just in case it's bacterial.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3083 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »
They were advertising for a Locum Consultant Neurologist in Harrow at the top of my Freegle mail this evening.
I'm not qualified to do this in any way but it's local but I thought I'd clicky on the linky out of idle curiosity.

No such post appeared listed when I did.

Freegle seems to be an unusual place to advertise for a neurologist...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3084 on: February 05, 2020, 09:44:26 pm »
Freegle seems to be an unusual place to advertise for a neurologist...

I blame brexit.  Or software.  Ultimately, they're both a collection of bad decisions that remains inexplicably popular.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #3085 on: February 08, 2020, 07:30:06 pm »
Trivial really, but I'm suffering with some sort of viral lurgi whose main effect is severe lethargy, although it started out as muscle & joint aches, and I'm developing a bit of a cough. The worst bit is that the persistent earache I've had for months is now really uncomfortable, but not to worry I'm seeing the ENT people in...... April.
As the lady said 'I will survive'.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3086 on: February 08, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »
Sounds like what I've had for the last 4 weeks.   The cough & sore throat have almost gone, but a few kms of walking today left me needing a 3 hour lie down.   I'm sleeping about 9-10 hours a night as well, which is a lot for me. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3087 on: February 09, 2020, 08:30:07 am »
Yesterday, El Prez mentioned that while he was reading the paper he suddenly found himself not knowing where he was or what he was doing, and he was "incapable of reading two letters". Then the spell passed and he felt OK.

Sounds to me like a transient ischaemic attack.  I told him he should talk to the doc about it, but he said he had done last time it happened(!) and the doc just said "wait and see what happens".  His doc is the same old (or young, I don't know) fogey who gives antibiotics on demand.  El Prez went on to say that he'd had lots of such spells for years.

So does the panel reckon he's heading for a fully-fledged stroke, or is there a less dramatic explanation?  I'd very much like to point his nose in the right direction and give him a boot up the arse.

« Reply #3088 on: February 09, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
I seem to have the lurgy too. I’ve had about 3 weeks of cough, that was almost better. Friday night I was feeling not right, and went to bed early. Which then led to over 24 hours of hot and cold, no appetite, coughing again. Perfectly timed to coincide with Miss Dan the Elder’s birthday. I feel a bit better today, but not full of get up and go.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #3089 on: February 10, 2020, 10:43:46 am »
Yesterday, El Prez mentioned that while he was reading the paper he suddenly found himself not knowing where he was or what he was doing, and he was "incapable of reading two letters". Then the spell passed and he felt OK.

Sounds to me like a transient ischaemic attack.  I told him he should talk to the doc about it, but he said he had done last time it happened(!) and the doc just said "wait and see what happens".  His doc is the same old (or young, I don't know) fogey who gives antibiotics on demand.  El Prez went on to say that he'd had lots of such spells for years.

So does the panel reckon he's heading for a fully-fledged stroke, or is there a less dramatic explanation?  I'd very much like to point his nose in the right direction and give him a boot up the arse.

Petit Mal Epilepsy?
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #3090 on: February 10, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »
I had similar symptoms with migraines.

Amateur internet doctors shouldn't diagnose patients. Get a professional in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3091 on: February 10, 2020, 01:50:51 pm »
Agree re internet diagnosis but the guy's doctor is not awe-inspiring.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3092 on: February 10, 2020, 02:16:55 pm »
I am FINALLY going to the sports centre down the road from my newish work to sign up and start training for sport properly.

I will be lifting weights 3x weekly and doing some proper cardio fitness work - either on a wattbike (hopefully they'll have ones with SPDs and bluetooth connectivity) or my old friend the Concept 2 rowing machine.

Exciting!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3094 on: February 13, 2020, 04:10:33 pm »
Interestingly (for me if no one else), I'm starting to get pins and needles in my bum and legs a lot more than last week. I wonder if this is related to the recovery I'm needing after my sessions. So far I've done two weights sessions and two rowing sessions, I recall I used to get P and N a lot when rowing more full-on. At college I was often having to take a few minutes at the end of lectures to hobble my way out of the theatre since my legs had been tucked under some ghastly furniture.

I'm only getting them when sat down with my legs under a desk really. Moving about for a bit gets rid of it. Hm.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD