Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480293 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1650 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:36:58 pm »
That is when I start enunciating clearly and determinedly exactly what I want and don't take no for an answer...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1651 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:52:22 pm »
The midichlorian level might make you think you're the next Obi-Wan.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1652 on: 05 June, 2017, 08:34:59 pm »
He *is* the  Kwisatz Haderach.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1653 on: 05 June, 2017, 08:39:32 pm »
That data is mine, not something to be kept from me.

Blood test data is useless without knowledgeable interpretation. 
Milk please, no sugar.

Chris S

« Reply #1654 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:02:00 pm »

I have knowledge  ;).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1655 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:40:39 pm »

That's true of all sorts of things that we don't hide from people out of some paternalistic sense of their own good.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1656 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:21:16 pm »
If I have my data, I can take it to somebody else who can interpret it for me (a second opinion, if you like). If I don't have it, I can't.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1657 on: 05 June, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »
Last time I got blood results by phone the nurse read complete bollocks, said X was bad and Y was OK when actually it was the other way round and the GP wanted to SEE me which wasn't passed on either...

After that I made them read bloods out line by line, word by word... They didn't like it, but if they're going to ignore the GP notes and instructions then they get to give me the data which I can RTFI or ask someone else to interpret...

Oh well the GP who could get bloods from me left the practice so I'm back to "Nah, you really don't want bloods" plus a summary of my issues which usually results in a "no we don't, we'll manage without".

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1658 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:11:08 am »

That's true of all sorts of things that we don't hide from people out of some paternalistic sense of their own good.

Agree completely.  I wonder if it originates in the (fallacious) idea that the NHS pays for it so it's their property, not yours.

Totally different here: I get a paper copy of blood results in the post and the doc gets them on line. Cardiologist works up the ECG/conclusions package & sends copies to the doc & me. I get X-rays done privately, the bill goes to the health service and I get the results handed to me at the X-ray shop, where the resident radiologist explains them before I leave.  I have a stack of medicated paper & various scans & X-rays going back 20+ years.

This is probably because all these services used to be private: you paid for them and got reimbursed in whole or in part by the Sécurité Sociale.  Nowadays the system has been streamlined and we have chipped cards that let docs etc. charge the SS directly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1659 on: 06 June, 2017, 09:42:54 am »
I was told by a nurse I knew in the 1990s that it was because doctors were often rude about patients in their notes. Not just "NFN" but "stupid cow" etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1660 on: 06 June, 2017, 09:58:42 am »
DFKDFC was a common diagnosis in cases of time-wasters and hypochondriacs.

Don't Fucking Know, Don't Fucking Care  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

IJL

« Reply #1661 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
Suspect it's a 'house rule' about ALL results.
Simple blood numbers might seem uncomplicated but if there's an X-ray or histology report in which there's a suspicion of something serious, a doctor mightwant an in-depth discussion about matters.
A blanket rule...

I suspect its less a rule than a general approach to rare requests, its not just in surgery, the wider world does it as well, the default answer to a myriad of questions from schools, employers, DWP, etc is see your GP. its called passing the buck.  I'm always to happy to print off letters and results for people I'm seeing.  there is a charge if you want all the notes.  You can now get online access to your notes.  The notes however are written as a record for clinicians to understand rather than the lay public.  We recently had someone take issue with references to anal sex in his notes, Sx however is short for symptoms not sex.  The acronyms  of old are rarely seen now but notes keen be frequently far more honest than people will like

« Reply #1662 on: 06 June, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
Knee diagnosed as MCL issue, but no tear.  Knee still stable despite all I've done to it (8 separate visits to doctor/surgeon/physio over the last 20 years!). Strengthening exercises prescribed, but can be on bike (gentle) by the weekend. :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1663 on: 07 June, 2017, 08:49:45 am »
Access to medical records: Mrs Cudzo was translating some medical notes yesterday for work. She has no specific medical knowledge and was translating between two languages neither of which is her native language, but was the only person in her office who admitted to any knowledge of French. It seems to have gone far better than might have been expected.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1664 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
Been trying to track down some minor issues and with blood tests being inconclusive, the doc sent me for an ultrasound of my liver (and gall-bladder), primarily because I was had a liver abscess some 2 years. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23099082)...something I wasn't really supposed to get at my age/health. Anyways, had the ultrasound yesterday and doctors office calls me this morning and asks if I could come in sometime soon..something they have never done before, so I'm seeing them again tomorrow. I suspect that my friend Klepsiealla never got killed off properly and is back..
 Actually just realised that I may also have damaged it in my crash last weekend??. 

Edit: Also not telling my wife. She's pretty stressed as it is.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1665 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »
Hope it's ok!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1666 on: 09 June, 2017, 08:52:16 pm »
Much ado about nothing (almost).

New doc (same clinic) was unaware of my history and report said 'spot on liver' and agreed that it was most likely leftovers from my liver abscess. Pain/discomfort in upper body is more than likely internal bruising from my crash. He prescribed rest.
I did tell my wife, as I realised she would be more upset if something was wrong and I hadn't told her.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1667 on: 10 June, 2017, 01:55:21 pm »
Glad they don't think it is anything serious and you've been able to tell your wife. Rest well.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1668 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:20:23 pm »
Nailed my crow pose at yoga tonight - I took flight for around 20 seconds!   ;D
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Crow-Pose-(Yoga)

« Reply #1669 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:54:46 am »
Knee diagnosed as MCL issue, but no tear.  Knee still stable despite all I've done to it (8 separate visits to doctor/surgeon/physio over the last 20 years!). Strengthening exercises prescribed, but can be on bike (gentle) by the weekend. :)
Gentle pootle on Turbo on Sunday was OK.  Was a bit sore yesterday, and made clicking noises along with front of knee pain when doing single leg squats last night. I suspect it's now just a patella tracking problem - will do loads of VMO exercises and roller the hell out of my ITB over the next few days and see if I can ride again on Sunday. Grrr.
Maybe the POP at the time of the injury was actually just the patella jumping out of it's groove?

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #1670 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:23:48 am »
Nailed my crow pose at yoga tonight - I took flight for around 20 seconds!   ;D
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Crow-Pose-(Yoga)

Well done!! There's no way I'm ever getting near that one. Impressive!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #1671 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »
Gentle pootle on Turbo on Sunday was OK.  Was a bit sore yesterday, and made clicking noises along with front of knee pain when doing single leg squats last night. I suspect it's now just a patella tracking problem - will do loads of VMO exercises and roller the hell out of my ITB over the next few days and see if I can ride again on Sunday. Grrr.
Maybe the POP at the time of the injury was actually just the patella jumping out of it's groove?
I rode Sunday - took it easy to start and then pushed it a bit towards the end.  No soreness when riding, but some for the day afterwards.
Physio thinks patella is tracking properly, knee is stable, and that the soreness is just the soft tissues around the sprain being a bit sore. Has prescribed more difficult exercises and encouraged me to ride more/harder.
Cycled to work today.  At the start, generating power (as opposed to spinning) hurt - by the end I could produce power without an issue.  It's a bit tender now though. I'm a little confused as to what I've done to it - the pain is more central than along the MCL line.  ??? Definitely not meniscus or ACL though - physio tested that pretty thoroughly both times.

« Reply #1672 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:49:42 am »
Tired of being in pain now, it grinds you down, itching to get back on the bike, I reckon I might just have enough range of movement to complete a pedal stroke since I've removed the knee brace. Mrs S just gives me that look when I mention it. I can walk on flat surfaces without the crutches but slopes and steps are still a problem.

I shouldn't really moan since initially I was told it'd be 6 to 8 weeks, then 4 weeks. I reckon I'll try for a pootle at the weekend while Mrs S is still in bed, so that'll have been 2 weeks.

$DEITY I miss the endorphins, so ruddy grumpy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1673 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
About an hour back from a short ride. Heart rate was well within limits, air temp was a pleasant 22°C. Blood pressure just now, normally a robust 130/80, bumming about at 100/64 to 110/67 & I'm somewhat flagagda.  I'm assuming I hadn't fully recovered from Monday's 114k in the heat - it took me around 30k to get warmed up.

I think my Audax days are done.  :'(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1674 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:56:38 am »
Gout flare-up.  Ow, Ow, Ow.  It's been a year or so since the last one but I think it's time to re-think my long-term alcohol and food choices.