Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 482670 times)

seraphina

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2150 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »
Chickenpox is teh pants. We used Poxclin and a couple of handfulls of oats in the bath for relief from scratching (put oats in foot of pair of tights, tie knot in tights and hang over the taps).

We booked our two in for vaccinations but they thwarted us by catching it between making the appointment and going for the jab. Between us we had to take best part of a month off work.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2151 on: 24 April, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »
Just to add to the general cheer, I managed to have chickenpox twice as a nipper.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2152 on: 24 April, 2018, 02:08:58 pm »
I'm probably repeating but teh pox persuaded Brother Who Refused Pottie to get out of nappies...

Chris S

« Reply #2153 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
This is generally where I bore everyone silly with my CP story.

In the interest of boredom avoidance, I'll merely leave a reference to a previous iteration and leave it up to you whether you want to be re-bored with it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2154 on: 27 April, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »
Was startled awake by the doorbell[1] this morning, and discovered I had a crick in my neck as I stumbled down the stairs.  No idea if it was there before I woke up; usually when this happens I feel the crunch as I stretch or sneeze or something.  I've employed the proven technique of hammering it with codeine, on the basis that being unpleasantly stoned for a day or two is better than pain and being unable to move properly for a week.

That's written off this weekend's soggy cold camping trip, then.  I missed the last two because chest infections.   >:(

To add insult to injury, one of the smoke alarms chose to announce its low battery about an hour later.  Being repeatedly startled by bipping isn't conducive to muscle relaxation.  So we now know that stoned Kim who can't look upwards is safer at climbing ladders than normal barakta.

[1] Demon-spawn vibrating pad under barakta's pillow which is evil enough to (at least theoretically) stop her sleeping through the fire alarm, accompanied by assorted flashing lights and the dulcet tones of Rod Hull and his crack team of 80s drama students.  It brings me from REM sleep to ready to fight off the zombie hordes in less than a second, which is generally suboptimal unless there's actually a fire or someone's got a sufficiently exciting parcel.

« Reply #2155 on: 27 April, 2018, 10:43:20 pm »
Colonoscopy and Endoscopy booked for late May due to blood tests showing possible markers for Coeliac Disease.

Trouble is, I've got a fairly tough Sportive booked two days after the procedures. Will I be alright or shall I think about cancelling?

« Reply #2156 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:23:08 am »
Never had colonoscopy.

Endoscopy is nothing to worry about and shouldn't affect you unless you are having it under general. I've had 2 using just a bit of local anesthetic.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2157 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:29:59 am »
Consider cancelling, I'm afraid. You'll need a low residue diet for several days prior to the colonoscopy, which is likely to be low on everything apart from Rich Tea biscuits, as well as needing MoviPrep/Picolax to clear the gut and being nil by mouth on the day of the scope.
Your mineral and energy/glycogen reserves will be low - not necessarily so low that you'd feel rough at rest but not really high enough to get repleted in time for you to undertake your sportive at a brisk pace.
You'd probably be OK for a 100km Populaire a couple of days after, but I wouldn't push harder than that.

And that's if you've had little sedation.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2158 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:31:40 am »
Might be scope for some jet propulsion, thobut?   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2159 on: 01 May, 2018, 03:08:50 pm »
Seems Dr Michael Watt's diagnoses have been suboptimal and patients are being recalled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43955732
I don't understand how they'll do this for for patients who have died and I read this might be considered in future.
Irish?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2160 on: 01 May, 2018, 03:23:51 pm »
I wonder how much longer I might have menstruated if I had given up ALL carbs!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43948399
(click to show/hide)

simonp

« Reply #2161 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:08:34 pm »
Back at BRI for a follow-up. Surgery not indicated, which is good.

Going to monitor and if symptoms don't improve further, GP can refer direct to physiology dept rather than going through a consultant which adds extra waiting time.

« Reply #2162 on: 03 May, 2018, 02:12:05 am »
Owww, owwww, owwww. So tuesday at work i realised my back was sore but nothing major. Then today i was walking into work towing my office bag on wheels when i had to traverse an access ramp. Half way across my back spasmed. Or rather one the muscles down one side suddenly locked taught to protect something. Cue an awkward afternoon where sitting comfortably was difficult and transitioning from seated to standing is highly painful. As i carry an emergency stash of co-codamol as a legacy of my hip issues i have jumped onto my max dose. However that is barely touching it. This evening i have had about 2 hours sleep and now can't get comfortable. Laid flat isn't helping as the tightness is forcing a curve into my back that the hotel bed isn't supporting.

There is a localised tender spot towards the outside of my lower right rib but the whole of my middle back feels sore because everything is tensed to protect whatever has happened. It feels like someone has tightened a metal band across my back. Fortunately my head and neck are unaffected and my legs are ok so i am still mobile. I can't rotate my back from the waist but can bend forwards with care.

If i were at home i would have gone to my local minor injuries unit but i am in a hotel for work tonight and tomorrow. I don't want to go to a&e as its not life threatening but fear come tomorrow i will have little other choice through lack of local knowledge or gp.

« Reply #2163 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:22:48 am »
Well i got a further 4 hours sleep. Phoned my gp for an appointment when i get home tomorrow and then picked up my office bag at the hotel.

It went again and despite a full dose of co-codamol 20 minutes earlier it put me to my knees. So i am now in a&e. As expected it is a rib muscle. But i have now been given some diazepam to be taken once in a safe place if it makes me drowsy.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2164 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:37:48 am »
Ouch. Hope the diazepam helps unlock things a bit.

« Reply #2165 on: 03 May, 2018, 01:09:20 pm »
Well that counts as one of the more miserable 24hours of my life. Kidney-stones, again.
This time the pain was severe enough that I was vomiting. Couldn't even keep water down. Didn't have supply of painkillers to hand. Housemate gave me some co-codemol then another housemate picked up some ibuprofen for me. Managed to start drinking (and keeping down) water after about 16 hours. Was very close to going to A&E so I could get put on a drip; not being able to keep hydrated when there are stones lodged is bad news.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2166 on: 03 May, 2018, 01:35:22 pm »
Get well soon! Could you get an emergency supply of Voltarol suppositories from your GP in case you get more stones?

Is there any reason you couldn't use these?

« Reply #2167 on: 03 May, 2018, 01:44:59 pm »
I don't know of a reason. Guess I'll be seeing doc for a followup so will talk to him.

If I'd had painkillers to hand I don't think I'd have ended up in such a bad way, maybe.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2168 on: 03 May, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »
Precisely! Voltarol supps are the bees' knees for pain from kidney stones and can be used when nauseous/vomiting. They're not something you'd abuse...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2169 on: 03 May, 2018, 02:51:17 pm »
Consider cancelling, I'm afraid. You'll need a low residue diet for several days prior to the colonoscopy, which is likely to be low on everything apart from Rich Tea biscuits, as well as needing MoviPrep/Picolax to clear the gut and being nil by mouth on the day of the scope.
Your mineral and energy/glycogen reserves will be low - not necessarily so low that you'd feel rough at rest but not really high enough to get repleted in time for you to undertake your sportive at a brisk pace.
You'd probably be OK for a 100km Populaire a couple of days after, but I wouldn't push harder than that.

And that's if you've had little sedation.

helly speaks sense.

If you opt for sedation then you are supposed not to do important things like drive or sign documents for the next 24 hours, and you should have an adult with you. On the day of the procedure you will have an empty gut, and you are supposed to eat carefully afterwards. Plus your gut will be largely clear of bacteria etc. and there will be recolonisation  :P

In my experience of 20 years of endoscopy, I'd suggest you consider cancelling, as helly says.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2170 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:56:02 am »
Shucks!  Andrew (4.75) and Mrs Legs have got chicken pox.  Mrs Legs grew up in Kenya so never got it as a child.  Andrew is being very good about not picking and scratching.  Mrs Legs has only a few spots but has been feeling lousy for a few days... She's on a course of Aciclovir antivirals now. Probably only a matter of time until Daniel gets it...
Well, it was bound to happen...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2171 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:45:07 pm »
GWS Daniel!
How old is he? One of my nephews had it at 8 months and was not much bothered.

« Reply #2172 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »
All 4 of mine had it together, at <1; 3+ 5+ and 7+.

Youngest was lousy ill with it- that baby whiny crying constantly, she couldn't sleep or do anything. Fun times.

« Reply #2173 on: 04 May, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
Colonoscopy re-booked so I can ride my event in May. Thanks for the advice all.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2174 on: 04 May, 2018, 08:46:08 pm »
Colonoscopy re-booked so I can ride my event in May. Thanks for the advice all.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with the sportif!