Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480238 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2650 on: 28 March, 2019, 03:28:13 pm »
Also anyone who sneers about bottle feeding can get in the sea, if the small person is fed, clean, properly looked after and loved everything else is snobbery. My sister got flak for not breastfeeding, but bottle feeding was the *best* thing for her mental health and meant my BiL could do more babyfeeding work (which I'm always up for!).

This^^^ in spades.

I would add 'gaining weight/thriving' to The Kim's list.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2651 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:47:04 pm »
Since my accident, which both skinned and heavily guided my left elbow, it has become markedly more hairy than the other elbow, weird. 

I assume its the skinning which has stimulated follicular activity
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2652 on: 30 March, 2019, 07:44:12 am »
Increased blood supply

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2653 on: 31 March, 2019, 01:34:25 pm »
Does that work on heads?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2654 on: 31 March, 2019, 04:58:54 pm »
A scalp injury will lead to increase hair growth if there are follicles capable of being stimulated to grow

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2655 on: 01 April, 2019, 09:56:55 am »
Return on pain investment might be a bit low.

ISTR reading that those who go bald in the usual manner still have all the follicles, but the hair they grow is very short and fine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2656 on: 02 April, 2019, 10:20:56 am »
There's a comment on an article about vaccinations which is either genius conspiracy-busting or tin-foil; maybe both at the same time.
The tendency to vehemently oppose vaccination as a Big Pharma conspiracy is almost certainly funded by Big Pharma, and with a profit motive. It is my belief that the anti-vaccination lobby are almost certainly being funded, and supported in misinformation by the people who will most benefit from children not being vaccinated, and unwittingly so. It is almost inconceivable that parents would willingly put their children at risk if it were not for the fake news and fake research that has been spread to undermine their faith in a well established medical benefit. The profit margins in vaccination are tiny compared to those that arise from hospital treatments and interventions to treat (and even save the lives) of children who fall ill with these dangerous, but cheaply, and easily prevented, diseases. Consider this recent example, where the medical costs of treating an unvaccinated child for Tetanus cost in excess of $800,000. https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l1172 Who benefits from that outcome? Tetanus vaccination only costs a few cents… Recent discoveries that Russian server farms have been implicated in manipulating US election results and Brexit make it clear that social media is an easy pathway to ‘innocculate’ the well-meaning innocent against the facts of vaccination - and stirring up anti-vaccination sentiments has to be easier than manipulating elections, the red flag of babies being harmed by faceless corporations has to be an easier sell than Donald Trump… Blame the anti-vaccination movement on Big Pharma and their secret farms in far away countries, but don’t blame anti-vaxxers for being unable to comprehend and respect the vast quantity of legitimate research supporting vaccination that is available - they are being artfully deceived.
https://theconversation.com/measles-should-vaccinations-be-compulsory-114481

So the claim is that that anti-vaxxers are being covertly funded or promoted by the pharmaceutical industry, because they get to profit more from treating the effects of diseases than preventing them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2657 on: 02 April, 2019, 09:59:41 pm »
The story of oxycontin does suggest it is plausible.. They set up committees and task forces to define pain as something which should not be allowed and then provided oxycontin as the answer. 

Result  - massive profits and more dead americans from prescription narcotics than illegal drugs!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2658 on: 03 April, 2019, 09:40:50 am »
Isn't oxycontin mainly given to women in labour? Anyway, that's creating an additional drug sales opportunity. With vaccinations it would require pharmaceutical companies to make more profit from treating a relatively small number of infections than millions of low cost vaccinations worldwide. I'm sure that's true on a profit per item basis but overall, I don't know. Could be.

« Reply #2659 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:11:11 am »
In north america, oxycontin, is prescribed for pain. Any pain. It is more physically addictive than heroin.

I don't think it is even used in the UK. Doctors here would rather use Morphine (or synthetic versions thereof).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2660 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:51:10 am »
I was probably conflating it with oxytocin...  :facepalm:

« Reply #2661 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:54:45 am »
It's certainly licensed for use in the UK, and a quick google throws up results about addiction in the UK as well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2662 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:36:05 pm »
If I was a manufacturer of antiviral drugs and not vaccines I would certainly support the anti vaccine people (and no morals).

« Reply #2663 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
The story of oxycontin does suggest it is plausible.. They set up committees and task forces to define pain as something which should not be allowed and then provided oxycontin as the answer. 

Result  - massive profits and more dead americans from prescription narcotics than illegal drugs!

IMHO it's the tip of a very large iceberg regarding the FDA as a whole, there's been various exemptions and loopholes appearing in the CFR for a little while but that process has massively accelerated recently - to the point whereby a very small company such as ours with only a single regs officer can drive a coach and horses through 21 CFR 820 should we so choose, which we haven't*

EDIT: Just be grateful that you live in a country that the IVDR and MDR is going to apply to.....Oh....Oh bollocks
* yet

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2664 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
Don't want to rant. Monday ended up at A&E for an ECG. I've been feeling a bit banjaxed for a couple of weeks, caught myself falling asleep in the shop more than once. As you're probably aware I bought a very heavy motorcycle recently and the effort required to reverse it into a shed that's only just wide enough... Well, I put it down to that.

Last week on a few occasions I was breathless and tight chested.  On Monday I had a routine appt at the docs for a health check, turned up & the practice nurse took my pulse - three times - then failed to extract blood for samples from both arms and finally told me to foxtrot oscar to A&E.

The upshot is I'm now awaiting an appt with cardiology. Meanwhile I have 3 kinds of drugs to take & a GTN spray...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2665 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:45:31 pm »
Fingers crossed...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2666 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:58:52 pm »
Hope you're better and sorted soon!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2667 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:20:37 pm »
Break a leg.

« Reply #2668 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:23:19 pm »
Bloody hell, tors, be careful.

You could give a chap a heart attack with news like that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2669 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:23:39 pm »
GWS tors

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2670 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:12:36 pm »
Eeek Tors. Hope the ticker docs can check you out and give you more useful info soonest.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2671 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:20:35 pm »
Only just seen this Tors.  Bloody hell mate.  Best wishes for a good outcome.  Hugs. (Man hugs mate. Man hugs)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Phil W

« Reply #2672 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:23:36 pm »
Best of luck with diagnosis and treatment options.

« Reply #2673 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:37:35 pm »
Torslanda, not met you but appreciate all you're input.  Get well soon and best wishes for all the heart stuff.

« Reply #2674 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:33:12 pm »
Take care of yourself tors. ,thinking of you and wishing you well   :)
the slower you go the more you see