Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480376 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3525 on: 18 July, 2021, 06:06:12 pm »
Daughter and grandchildren stayed last weekend. Normally we’re fine with that, however the 3 year old grandson had really bad tonsillitis and was on antibiotics and Calpol. For all of last weekend the poor boy grizzled. They went home, now MrsW and I have really bad colds. Negative for Covid ( both of us at double jabbed). Completed a 70 mile bike ride this morning and last 20 miles was so challenging. 6 am home by 12 still too hot. Didn’t want to let my son down as we’re supposed to be getting the miles in for forthcoming ride

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3526 on: 26 July, 2021, 07:23:28 pm »
Hmm, one of my glands is up. Go away lurgy, whatever you are.
(The last time that happened I had shingles).
It went away but is now back again :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3527 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:16:47 am »
Back in June I was doing rides of 100-150 km once a week, alternating with 50-60 km rides in between.  Then, starting a fortnight after my second AZ shot, I had a bout of "flu".  GP said it probably wasn't Covid, but since then it's been taking me a couple of weeks to recover from a 100k. My last 100k was end of July, since then I've done two rides of under 50k, the last one was 35k on Monday and climbing the stairs just now made my legs ache.

I guess I've got long flu.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3528 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:08:08 pm »
this cough has come and gone for about 2 months.  I wish it'd just sod off.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3529 on: 21 August, 2021, 10:36:45 pm »
Itchy baws!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3530 on: 22 August, 2021, 01:27:19 am »
Canesten cream is good for jock itch. Just sayin...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3531 on: 24 August, 2021, 12:17:59 am »
Today my daily average paces for 2021 passed 11000. I now have to keep up a daily average of at least 10966 paces daily to reach 4000000 paces for the year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3532 on: 27 August, 2021, 10:03:06 am »
Restaurant Wednesday evening, stinking cold since yesterday.

That's twice now since my 2nd vaccination that I've eaten in public eating-places, and twice now that I have developed some kind of upper respiratory lurgi in the days following.  I'm beginning to wonder if isolation, lockdown, mask discipline etc. don't sap our normal resistance to such maladies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3533 on: 27 August, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »
Meanwhile, the hubby of chum of MrsT's in England went into a small local hospital with a crippling headache and was diagnosed with a subdural haemorrhage. The docs there, all disconcertingly young, hummed & hawed and decided that the best thing was to wait and see what happened, rather than bother the BFO district hospital unnecessarily.

What happened was that last night he was rushed to the BFO hospital and they're hoping he'll survive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3534 on: 27 August, 2021, 08:26:48 pm »
I've been offline with horrendous D&V for the last couple of days.  And I do mean horrendous.  Worse than trapped gallstone and Long Itch Lurgy combined - full on regain-consciousness-in-a-pool-of-bodily-fluids-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bathroom-door type stuff.  Barakta mentioned The Exorcist, so you don't have to.

Things seem to be improving, as I've managed to keep down a small amount of bread, and am no longer pining for a bag of Hartmann's.

The mystery is where it came from.  Had a friend visit last weekend.  He's generally being sensible about Covid and has had no symptoms of anything.

I did a DIY 200 on Tuesday, on which the only human contact was a conversation with a passing motorist while repairing a mechanical.  I did wipe the oil off my hands in the verge and later operate a gate on a popular dog-emptying route.  I took 800mg of Ibuprofen over about 5 hours, along with a sufficiency of cheese sandwiches, on the basis that a bit of acid reflux was preferable to having to bail because OwMeKnee and risking a covid-infested train.

Digestive system was surprisingly well behaved on Tuesday night and Wednesday, until I woke up with nausea and cramping at 4am on Thursday, and all hell broke loose a couple of hours later.

Barakta remains asymptomatic (by barakta standards).  We've both done a PCR covid test (results pending), and I'm treating it as norovirus.  Seriously, though, WTF?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3535 on: 27 August, 2021, 08:28:29 pm »
Sounds unpleasant, hope you feel better soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3536 on: 27 August, 2021, 08:37:45 pm »
Ditto. I was completely resigned to you overtaking me a great multiple of times over the weekend.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3537 on: 27 August, 2021, 08:46:15 pm »
Sounds horrible.  Hope you make a full & swift recovery. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3538 on: 27 August, 2021, 11:09:46 pm »
^^^GWS

« Reply #3539 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:22:05 am »
Get better soon kim 🙂
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3540 on: 28 August, 2021, 08:58:50 am »
GWS, Kim. BTDT after eating oysters in Stuttgart.  Never been to a Nordsee shop since.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3541 on: 28 August, 2021, 10:00:00 am »
Sounds awful Kim.  GWS.
Did you touch anything that may have come into contact with raw sewage?  The same thing happened to me after joining the village clean up volunteers after the Grate Flood.
You've done well not to pass it on to barakta.  Mrs B caught mine after three days, and we were being super careful.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3542 on: 28 August, 2021, 10:32:19 am »
That there alcoholic solution is good for more than Covid.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3543 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:33:24 pm »
We're at at ~60 hours since onset of symptoms so still have a few days for me to consider myself "to have escaped" getting it myself. I'm going to call it ~48 hours from when Kim stops being considered infectious which will be ~Wednesday at this rate.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3544 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:37:05 pm »
That all sounds remarkably grim. GWS, Kim, and stay well, Barakta.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3545 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »
Meanwhile, the hubby of chum of MrsT's in England went into a small local hospital with a crippling headache and was diagnosed with a subdural haemorrhage. The docs there, all disconcertingly young, hummed & hawed and decided that the best thing was to wait and see what happened, rather than bother the BFO district hospital unnecessarily.

What happened was that last night he was rushed to the BFO hospital and they're hoping he'll survive.
I've had one of those. In my case I was admitted to hospital an hour or so after a taxi driver left me unconscious in the middle of the road, and the doctors apparently said that 20 minutes later it would have been too late. Very occasionally I still got a pain where they sewed my skull back together after letting the devils magic smoke blood out. I hope MrsT's chum's hubby survives.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3546 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:56:25 pm »
That there alcoholic solution is good for more than Covid.

But, critically, not norovirus.  It's surprisingly hard to kill and has a very low infectious dose.  Real soap for hands, bleach for things that will tolerate bleach, hot wash for fabrics.

I'm continually amazed that primary schools aren't permanently awash with the stuff (well, they are, it's just that usually people develop some level of immunity).

« Reply #3547 on: 28 August, 2021, 09:59:53 pm »
Sounds really quite awful Kim.  You have our sympathies and best wishes for a speedy recovery and an uninfected Barakta.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3548 on: 28 August, 2021, 10:43:56 pm »
Today I have managed to keep some proper food with protein in it down, shampoo[1] the landing carpet[2] and provide remote moral support[3] to the other half of the BHPC Time Team, who has been left with a load of unexpected work to do for probably the biggest event of the year, without access to the Official Jam-Filled Babbage Engine due to me becoming incapacitated just before the sign-on deadline.

I've discovered a nice bruise on my hip, to go with the bashed elbow and not-sure-what-happened-to-it-but-it's-clearly-not-right wrist.  Injuries like that without the aid of a bicycle are just unfair.  On the other hand, my kidneys appear to be rebooting.

Barakta has collapsed in bed with general exhaustion, but still no out-of-the-ordinary symptoms.  All this going up and down the stairs and endlessly cleaning things and generally watching in case I black out again has been very hard on her.

[1] In an attempt to displace the real poo.   :sick:
[2] I did a 200 4 days ago, today climbing stairs with a hoover is a struggle.
[3] Ie. little that was substantially helpful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3549 on: 29 August, 2021, 01:44:11 pm »
...and we've both just got negative PCR test results for Covid.  That's a huge relief, with barakta's surgery in a week and a half...