Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 479983 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3700 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:19:36 pm »
The official answer will always be ‘bin old stuff’. Some compounds naturally degrade over time, losing efficacy. Some things work as a growth compound for bacteria and the use by date somewhat limits their maximum concentration. I have no idea about that particular medicine though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3701 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:35:47 pm »
Yeah, that what I was thinking/worried about.  Have been taking the tablets for a few days and no ill effects and the pain seems to lessen.  But it all could be in my head, as these are branded painkillers ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3702 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:55:04 pm »
Our old GP used to tell us that it wouldn't poison us but it wouldn't be as effective.  I'd rather take stuff that had been in blister packs than loose in bottles, though, for obvious reasons.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3703 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:32:17 pm »
Rivaroxaban.
I've been taking it for about a week following the superficial thrombophlebitis diagnosis.
And I'm shattered - a short walk along the local canal towpath this afternoon, and I'm ready for a long lie down.
My leg has pretty much settled down now, so it's not that. So it must be the drugs. Fatigue is listed as a side effect, but bloomin' eck, I can live without it!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3704 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:32:30 pm »
My rule of thumb is that out-of-date medication is a lot better than no medication, and if it's only a little out of date and hasn't been exposed to unusual temperatures, I don't worry too much.

Dry tablets like co-codamol should be pretty stable if kept somewhere cool, dry and dark, unless it's a chemical that degrades over time at room temperature, like aspirin.  The limiting factor may be how long they reckon the packaging will remain airtight.  Liquids like antibiotic suspensions and injectable hormones and vaccines tend to have much shorter shelf lives - I'd consider expired insulin or adrenaline to be a last-resort option, as it's likely the dose will be unpredictable.  And things like inhalers and auto-injectors will likely be further limited by the specifications of the delivery system, even if the drug itself has a long shelf life.

Here's an interesting paper where they tested some decades-old drugs found in the back of a pharmacy:
 https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1377417
Note that both codeine and paracetamol were close to the specified concentrations.

So for co-codamol, if the packaging's un-damaged and it hasn't been left on the windowsill, it's probably fine.  By which I mean you should of course hand it in to your local pharmacy and obtain a new prescription  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3705 on: 05 December, 2021, 06:09:38 pm »
Solid medication in tablets doesn't really go 'off'.

I'm guilty of taking tablets past their 'use by' date.

I shouldn't use creams past their date but I do.

I note there's an expiry date on the dental floss, which I'll definitely ignore...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3706 on: 07 December, 2021, 07:36:06 am »
Insulin lasts a long while if refrigerated.  Generally consider it ok for a month out of the fridge  but recent research has shown it to be more heat stable than previously considered, good news for Africa and other place where the ability fridge is lower, at least that's for synthetic insulin.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3707 on: 07 December, 2021, 03:18:32 pm »
My new GP has come down yet another notch in my esteem. Just had my blood analysis back from the lab and the bug.. fellow failed to ask for fasting blood sugar, cholesterol, transaminases or gamma GT. Previous GP had them done every 6 months.  This fellow is now on probation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3708 on: 07 December, 2021, 03:27:15 pm »
Solid medication in tablets doesn't really go 'off'.

I'm guilty of taking tablets past their 'use by' date.

I shouldn't use creams past their date but I do.

I note there's an expiry date on the dental floss, which I'll definitely ignore...

There's thing here called Cyclamed that purports to tell you which expired meds to throw out and which to return to the pharmacy for recycling.  I tried it the other day but as usual it's so convoluted and verbose that it vanishes up its own fundament without really telling you anything.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3709 on: 08 December, 2021, 01:15:23 pm »
Final Round of Root Canal today.
Jaw feels like Mike Tyson's Left Hooked it, at least my ear is still intact

I think I need to lie down and scream for a bit while the paracetamol and ibuprofen kick in, but I've already clocked on. feck.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3710 on: 09 December, 2021, 11:02:46 am »
I had a small piece of knee removed this morning for biopsy purposes.

Because (a) I was a big boy and didn't cry (not the exact words she used) and (b) it would save me a trip to my local health centre, the consultant suggested I could remove the stitch myself, and gave me instructions.

I don't think the 2000+ pedal revolutions on my way home did it any good (68" fixed) - the dressing was soaked in blood when I got home.

The local anaesthetic is now wearing off. Now where is that paracetemol?

I've only just realised that the discomfort which sent me to seek medical help in the first place hasn't occurred since the piece of knee was removed 18 months ago, although there's now a 10p-sized patch of pinkish and wrinkly skin* which wasn't there before. It seems that whatever they did to take the sample also excised whatever was causing the problem.

* a slightly different shade of pink and slightly more wrinkly the rest of my knee. Difficult to spot unless you know where to look.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3711 on: 09 December, 2021, 02:05:36 pm »
Maybe the bit removed was impinging on another bit, or on something pinched between it and another bit.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3712 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:44:02 pm »
Another letter from the neurologist the other day, confirming a working diagnosis of Functional Neurological Disorder, but also talking about getting more tests of  blood  and CSF and genetic tests to rule out something degenerative.   ???

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3713 on: 09 December, 2021, 10:13:05 pm »
I'm glad you have something in writing even though they're still wanting to rule stuff out. I hope you're holding up as well as you can.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3714 on: 10 December, 2021, 08:46:27 pm »
I'm glad you have something in writing even though they're still wanting to rule stuff out. I hope you're holding up as well as you can.

Thanks barakta. I'm just trying not to think (or google) the scary thing neurologist suggested it might be in the letter.  (hereditary spastic paraparesis)   ???

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3715 on: 10 December, 2021, 11:13:25 pm »
Definitely do not Google any of the scary neuromuscular shite. Wise! A friend was heavily investigated for neuromuscular gubbins and googled themselves silly without being a medic or understanding the medical context of the academic papers they were devouring at depth...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3716 on: 11 December, 2021, 01:20:48 am »
I steered clear of much online stuff about MS when I was first diagnosed and still don't delve too far.
I AM medical, I made the diagnosis before the medics confirmed it and my first computer arrived during my admission for MS but...

« Reply #3717 on: 14 December, 2021, 09:19:09 pm »
I felt a small bump on my forehead this afternoon, with a slight pain when pressed.

I've just squeezed it, only lightly, a mixture of blood, liquid and solid white pus popped out.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3718 on: 14 December, 2021, 09:43:14 pm »
That’s the evil leaving you!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3719 on: 14 December, 2021, 09:44:48 pm »
Pus is usually better out than in. If this is a sebaceous/epidermoid cyst, it might recur or form a horn.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3720 on: 14 December, 2021, 11:57:38 pm »
On a related note, barakta's left BAHA abutment just did its monthly space mumps thing, and deflated in a very satisfying way.  Now covered in antibiotic/steroid cream.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3721 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:38:50 pm »
Pus is usually better out than in. If this is a sebaceous/epidermoid cyst, it might recur or form a horn.
Horn? Yep, that’s evil alright.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #3722 on: 15 December, 2021, 05:37:46 pm »
Horn? Yep, that’s evil alright.

Doesn't a single horn suggest a unicorn? Or a rhino!

« Reply #3723 on: 16 December, 2021, 01:39:42 pm »
We had a Zoom call with mr fimm's Uncle and Aunt the other day. Uncle H is somewhat bald.
"What have you done to your head?" I asked. It looked as though he'd lost an argument with a very spikey bush.
It turned out that he'd had some itchy spots on his scalp. When he'd been to get his Covid booster, he'd asked the nurse if she could suggest something he could get from a pharmacy to help. Nurse took a look, and got straight onto her laptop.
"I've made you an appointment with your GP," she said. So H went to the GP who (to quote H) "muttered something about pre-cancerous growths" and gave him some stuff to put on them to burn them off. Sounds nasty.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3724 on: 16 December, 2021, 04:42:26 pm »
Yes, I think bald blokes forget about their solar panels somewhat. I seem to remember my Dad had stuff zapped off his head too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.