Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 479988 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3950 on: 19 May, 2022, 11:46:55 pm »
The tinnitus was down to normal background levels by bedtime yesterday, and doesn't seem to have come back today.  Hearing's still a bit asymmetric, but I'm getting used to it.  More importantly, I spent a large chunk of today riding my bike, and no longer feel like a glass of water.

I'll be glad when my left nostril stops feeling like there's something growing in it.
(Srsly, WTF is going on up there?)

Nostril top tip: Don't stick anything that can germinate anywhere you couldn't fit an audiologist.  (DAHIKT)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3951 on: 26 May, 2022, 02:54:57 pm »
After some faff with my GP, I got an appointment with the radiology for a scan. My mum's GP had found something that in DK they scan for if you are over 50, since it runs in the family. But in the UK only scan for over 65.

Got letter today with a date, of course the only two important things I have had in my calendar for years should end up falling on the very same day. I've booked my first trip to DK in about five years and lo and behold the radiology department picked the day I fly out to be, the day they want to scan me.

Called up to reschedule, armed with tea and a comfy chair as this could be a long Debbie Harry (Hanging On The Telephone). But phone only ran once, and a very nice lass said hello, that flustered me and was saying a few random things before I got the correct words out. She took my details and said, ok we know when you are back and we will get an new appointment out to you.

Didn't get to hear which day that would be, now I just wait for the next letter from them. It would be grand to know, even if I don't have a massively busy social and work life, just so that I don't end up booking something else on the new date, oh well.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3952 on: 26 May, 2022, 04:59:01 pm »
Didn't get to hear which day that would be, now I just wait for the next letter from them. It would be grand to know, even if I don't have a massively busy social and work life, just so that I don't end up booking something else on the new date, oh well.

It will be on a perfect day for cycling, to be preceded and followed by a week of heavy rain and high winds.  At least, that's my experience of such things.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3953 on: 26 May, 2022, 06:09:45 pm »
Either that, or it will be on the day before the appointment letter arrives.

« Reply #3954 on: 31 May, 2022, 11:40:12 pm »
I’ve got a paronychia down the side of my right-hand ring finger which has been irritating me for about 6 months and hasn’t cleared up.  It’s been getting more painful recently whenever I’ve had it immersed in water; when the skin is dry and hard it’s quite resilient, but when the skin is softened it’s rather tender.  I’ll see if I can get a photo to upload.  It looks pretty insignificant (only about 1/2 an inch in diameter), but I’d much rather it go away!

« Reply #3955 on: 01 June, 2022, 04:39:53 pm »
If ever you go for a biopsy on your prostate watch out for the long needle that injects the anaesthetic! It's about 4 inches long! It made me scream as it was pushed inside me! Having the surgeons take the samples wasn't too bad. My first pee after the procedure was the colour of a dark red wine. I'm a bit tender below, so no riding for a few days.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3956 on: 02 June, 2022, 06:52:15 am »
Well, that's something to look forward to.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3957 on: 06 June, 2022, 08:09:15 am »

« Reply #3958 on: 06 June, 2022, 08:31:20 am »
However this was a randomised placebo double blind trial and the difference in weight loss between placebo and other groups was significant.
Very interesting that it gives you a feeling of satisfaction through hormonal means and gets results similar to bariatric surgery.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3959 on: 06 June, 2022, 11:45:07 am »
If ever you go for a biopsy on your prostate watch out for the long needle that injects the anaesthetic! It's about 4 inches long! It made me scream as it was pushed inside me! Having the surgeons take the samples wasn't too bad. My first pee after the procedure was the colour of a dark red wine. I'm a bit tender below, so no riding for a few days.
I'm surprised they didn't offer you a local anaesthetic from that description.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3960 on: 06 June, 2022, 02:26:42 pm »

I've had similar length needles used on me; when I smashed my wrist they injected anesthetic/painkiller into the wrist by pushing a needle up from my knuckles. I was high as a kite on gas and air at the time so didn't mind much.

It is very freaky seeing the seemingly endless needles shoved under your skin though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3961 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:34:39 am »
However this was a randomised placebo double blind trial and the difference in weight loss between placebo and other groups was significant.
Very interesting that it gives you a feeling of satisfaction through hormonal means and gets results similar to bariatric surgery.

I'll admit that I didn't read the whole report - the photo caption sounded too much like the blurb on a bottle of Contrex.  "Long-term effects on the pancreas" would worry me.

« Reply #3962 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:52:49 am »
I'm surprised they didn't offer you a local anaesthetic from that description.
They did, but it still F****** hurt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3963 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:15:43 am »
Skim reading, missed that, sorry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3964 on: 14 June, 2022, 09:46:07 am »
Ridiculous. I get one cold virus and I'm destroyed.

Lost 6kg in two weeks, I guess there is a bonus to everything (I wanted to get my weight down).  Feel hollow, jeans falling off me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3965 on: 14 June, 2022, 03:22:32 pm »
Cold virus or hay fever?  I have been fine at home for the last 3 years since having allergy treatment but arrived in Bavaria and got a massive dose of hay fever. I then remembered I had my worst ever hay fever about 4 years ago  in Budapest in June. I noticed they are cutting the hay in al the fields so I suspect it is a massive pollen/ allergen release. Had to have an extra day off the bike as my eyes and nose were streaming so much I couldn’t safely ride. Now on steroid spray, antihistamine tablets, spray and eye drops as well as ibuprofen and was able to do another 100km today.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3966 on: 14 June, 2022, 03:27:41 pm »
Cold virus or hay fever?  I have been fine at home for the last 3 years since having allergy treatment but arrived in Bavaria and got a massive dose of hay fever. I then remembered I had my worst ever hay fever about 4 years ago  in Budapest in June. I noticed they are cutting the hay in al the fields so I suspect it is a massive pollen/ allergen release. Had to have an extra day off the bike as my eyes and nose were streaming so much I couldn’t safely ride. Now on steroid spray, antihistamine tablets, spray and eye drops as well as ibuprofen and was able to do another 100km today.

Riding with a dose of hay fever is bloody. End of April I did a ride through pine forest where the pollen was lying in drifts in the gutters and being stirred up into hazy yellow clouds by passing cars.  It affected me not a bit, but a few hours later I went through deciduous forest and sneezed all the way home.

Hope it continues better.

« Reply #3967 on: 14 June, 2022, 07:21:21 pm »

Covid

Just tested, on the offchance.

Not ill before I left. Wore a mask on plane and train on Sun.

Bit of sore throat Tues. Distinctly rough by Wed.  I'd forgotten to pack LFDs, and people aren't testing as much now that kits aren't free.

Bugger bugger. Probably spread it around the office. I'm still rough and struggling to eat enough.

Oh well, it is effective at removing the flab.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3968 on: 14 June, 2022, 09:51:48 pm »
Covid
Just tested, on the offchance.
Not ill before I left. Wore a mask on plane and train on Sun.
Bit of sore throat Tues. Distinctly rough by Wed.  I'd forgotten to pack LFDs, and people aren't testing as much now that kits aren't free.
Bugger bugger. Probably spread it around the office. I'm still rough and struggling to eat enough.
Oh well, it is effective at removing the flab.

Eek! I thought that might be the case!
It's a great imitator and has been shoved onto the back burner by the politicians.

Get Well Soon!

« Reply #3969 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:36:37 am »
Everyone who was sat near me in the office now has covid :(
(come into the office, they said. It is good for productivity they said)

My lungs are recovering. I take that back. Went outside to empty cat litter tray and bring in bins. Absolutely destroyed, lungs clamped down.

Mostly left with dreadful dragging exhaustion and difficulty eating. Keep getting pains like a stitch.

Managed to walk dog a whole 100m or so this morning. That is a major improvement.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3970 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:22:26 pm »

This year has been significantly worse than the last few years for me. I normally don't suffer to any degree worth remarking on, but this year I've had consistently irritated eyes and dry throat. Yesterday, went out for an evening ride, just an hour or so and it got so bad that I was sneezing regularly from about half way in. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3971 on: 16 June, 2022, 04:44:11 pm »
Depressingly, I note that positive covid tests and hospital admissions are on the rise and the mortality rate has all but stopped falling.  With the sheer mess that the country finds itself in I don't think that the government has any moral or ethical authority left and will now simply ignore the problem.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3972 on: 16 June, 2022, 05:14:14 pm »
I fear you are correct, PB!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3973 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:20:20 pm »
When I was taken to A+E, yesterday, I was in there for about 4 1/2 hours. Not asked to take a test! I enquired as I was leaving and was told "We Only take tests on Obviously Symptomatic People". There were around 30% of people sitting around without masks, including Police Officers with a (Handcuffed) bloke.  The staff were all masked.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3974 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:34:58 pm »
OMG I’ve just done 30 minutes of Les Mills GRIT Cardio. If I could get off the floor I’d go for a lie down.