Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 479954 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4400 on: 22 June, 2023, 12:21:29 pm »
Hmm. I got blue tooth hearing aids last Tuesday.  One week later and one has failed.   ::-)

Bathtub curve applies to hearing aids, fail quickly or last ages.

Blimey.  I took failed hearing aid down to audiology in Carmarthen yesterday.  It has come back in first class post today!
That's not bad service.  :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4401 on: 22 June, 2023, 12:22:21 pm »
To be fair, I snark at myself for doing it too.  Usually something to the effect of <me audiologist stupid>

The difference is, you notice, you apologise via Snark and KNOW you made a mistake.

We're not asking for mistakes not to be made, we're asking for them to be owned and minimised where possible.

Living with me, you are 99% brilliant which is positively inhuman levels of deaf awareness.

« Reply #4402 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:33:27 pm »
levels of deaf awareness.

My husband is very hard of hearing, even with aids. (age related, not life-long)
What always surprises me is his lack of awareness that anyone else may be similar.
So if we drive or cycle (with a cheery hello) towards someone with their back to us, and they don't move over, it doesn't occur to him that they might just not have heard us.
Same if someone doesn't contribute much to a conversation, or reply to a greeting, even though he often doesn't himself.
With prompting, he is getting more aware....

« Reply #4403 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:36:21 pm »
My father-in-law has hearing aids that bluetooth to his phone.
He wanted me to listen to something he was playing on said phone. Unfortunately he couldn't work out how to temporarily un-bluetooth them, so all that happened was that the thing played into his hearing aids! (We ended up using my phone instead.)

« Reply #4404 on: 22 June, 2023, 01:58:54 pm »
My father has hearing aids bluetoothed to his phone. Instead of him not hearing my mum because he can't hear, he now can't hear her because he's listening to something else. She *loves* this.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4405 on: 22 June, 2023, 08:17:18 pm »
I’m finding my new HAs very frustrating because they do some stuff incredibly well and the audio in general is very good. That I don’t have to use my streamer anymore and that the HAs work better than with the streamer is fantastic.

I’ve not tried my external Mike yet, but the new HAs work with my phone Mike so perhaps I won’t need the external mike in any case.

But the fact that they won’t pair with my TV is most vexing which is leaving me to take them out and use some other ear buds.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4406 on: 23 June, 2023, 12:01:12 am »
My father has hearing aids bluetoothed to his phone. Instead of him not hearing my mum because he can't hear, he now can't hear her because he's listening to something else. She *loves* this.

This is why I do a significant amount of communication with barakta via IRC when we're in the same room.

Of course, it only works if she notices the hilight/notification.  My historical work-around was a small keyring torch that lived on my desk, which I'd flash in her general direction.  (This is now superseded by a cunning row of LEDs along the back edge of her desk, which - amongst other things[1] - I can cause to light up with the right invocation.)  Failing that, and because our Victorian floorboards aren't rated for repeated shock loads so stamping-is out of the question, the back-up option is throwing things.  Which I'm notoriously bad at.

[1] The most awesome and least obvious is them doing a little chase pattern when someone  a) comes up the stairs  or  b) opens the bathroom door from the inside.  The sort of thing hearing people unthinkingly know has happened by sound, as advance warning that someone might be about to enter the room.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4407 on: 23 June, 2023, 12:23:49 am »
Mild electric shocks are out of the question, then?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4408 on: 23 June, 2023, 12:58:07 am »
Mild electric shocks are out of the question, then?

We have a carpet for that...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4409 on: 29 June, 2023, 03:01:26 pm »
Got handed one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't deals this morning. Cardiologist fitted me up with a 24-hour holter to look for silent Afib: "And if it's negative we'll put an implant in your chest for the next 3 years and look that way. You can come in and have it checked every 3 months."  And if it's positive they bung me full of bleed-if-they-look-at-you anticoagulants.

So I'm in for a royal pain in the arse no matter what.  Oh, 3rd option is to do nowt and get nagged.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4410 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:26:38 am »
Get it cut out and have done with it. Given you nothing but trouble for years, you'll be glad to get rid of it, T42

I've developed a salt water ulcer on my leg. Started as a tiny cut from a bumped shin, now 1.5cm sore with 3cm red swollen patch.

Gradually improving if I keep my trouser rolled up to let it dry out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4411 on: 30 June, 2023, 02:09:55 pm »
Get it cut out and have done with it. Given you nothing but trouble for years, you'll be glad to get rid of it, T42

And get it replaced with and experimental one of titanium/carbon fibre composite? Hmmmm...

I've developed a salt water ulcer on my leg. Started as a tiny cut from a bumped shin, now 1.5cm sore with 3cm red swollen patch.

Gradually improving if I keep my trouser rolled up to let it dry out.

And let on you're joining the Masons.

« Reply #4412 on: 06 July, 2023, 07:46:44 pm »
My back has gone into spasm today and I'm stuck on my sofa trying to avoid watching lizs TV programme choice. I feeling trapped and depressed.  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4413 on: 06 July, 2023, 08:12:36 pm »
My back has gone into spasm today and I'm stuck on my sofa trying to avoid watching lizs TV programme choice. I feeling trapped and depressed.  :'(

That's rubbish.  Dispatch a kitteh to steal the remote.

« Reply #4414 on: 07 July, 2023, 07:09:53 am »
My cats are far too lazy to do anything other than act as heavy, furry go cat containers.....

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4415 on: 11 July, 2023, 05:42:05 pm »
30 lengths at my local swimming baths this morning!

« Reply #4416 on: 11 July, 2023, 05:55:19 pm »
@BrianI :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4417 on: 11 July, 2023, 08:05:30 pm »
+1!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4418 on: 12 July, 2023, 08:26:06 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4419 on: 12 July, 2023, 12:14:03 pm »
Good stuff BrianI!

Meanwhile, for the last day or so, my right hand has been smelling vaguely feety.  Normally I'd attribute this to prolonged use of gloves soaked in Eau de Audaxer, but I've barely ridden a bike this week on account of a monsoon starting up every time I leave the house.  Also, you'd expect the left hand to be similarly afflicted, which in this case it is not.   ???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4420 on: 12 July, 2023, 02:22:15 pm »
Gangrene?  ::-)

« Reply #4421 on: 12 July, 2023, 06:38:26 pm »
My back is still very problematic. I seem to be ok on the trike but cannot straighten up and walk. I'm trying some leg stretches to see if that helps as I am finding it hard to straighten my legs fully and the two problems may be connected 🤔

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4422 on: 13 July, 2023, 01:23:20 am »
Hand skin and foot skin are very similar. Both will smell 'feety' if unaired and unwashed. Wrist plaser casts are VERY ripe when removed!

I noticed my feet were less smelly when I was on antifungals.

Leather bar tape, as well as cycling gloves can get whiffy...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4423 on: 13 July, 2023, 09:30:21 am »
Just had an MRI to ascertain whether my brane had p'd off to Borneo while I wasn't looking.

GN: got the pics home on a CD
BN: dunno how to read them (natch).  There's more than a 6502 in there.

'Ere's me 'ed (viewer discretion recommended):

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #4424 on: 13 July, 2023, 09:34:51 am »
Just had an MRI to ascertain whether my brane had p'd off to Borneo while I wasn't looking.

GN: got the pics home on a CD
BN: dunno how to read them (natch).  There's more than a 6502 in there.

'Ere's me 'ed (viewer discretion recommended):

(click to show/hide)

<sings>
There's an 'ole in the brain,
Dear Liza, dear Liza,
An 'ole in the brain,
Dear Liza, an 'ole.
<i>Marmite slave</i>