Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 482721 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4550 on: 26 September, 2023, 05:28:37 pm »
Odd.  I'm on blood thinners but neither jab was even visible.  They never are.  On the plus side, I tested positive for covid 36 hours later.

Positive for Covid or positive for the effects of the vaccine?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4551 on: 26 September, 2023, 06:34:38 pm »
fool!

« Reply #4552 on: 26 September, 2023, 07:24:32 pm »
Odd.  I'm on blood thinners but neither jab was even visible.  They never are.  On the plus side, I tested positive for covid 36 hours later.

Positive for Covid or positive for the effects of the vaccine?

I wondered about that.  Does the injection itself give a positive test result?  First I've heard of it, though I know of John Campbell and his conspiracy stuff.   I only tested because my wife was feeling ill and tested positive.  She had NOT been vaccinated recently.

ian

« Reply #4553 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:01:41 pm »
No, the mRNA vaccines only contain part of the spike protein, the PCR and antigen tests look at a broader set of markers. It could confuse an antibody test, but these are generally only used to assay immunity across a population.

In other news, I managed to book a doctor's appointment last Thursday – for tomorrow, and that only earns me a cherished telephone call. Well, is it urgent? they ask when I query a six-day wait, on the basis God only took that long to create. I did have to rein in the sarcastic response let's see if I answer the phone. (I don't think it is and I'm quantifiably not dead, but I'm not sure of the value of asking patients to triage themselves.)

sam

« Reply #4554 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:11:24 pm »
I am now forever an outlier with my N95 when out shopping or anywhere else Covid may roam. It is fun maskspotting though. I'd give my fellow outliers a secret smile, but, you know.

« Reply #4555 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:20:40 pm »
Thanks Ian.  I thought it was probably unlikely.

« Reply #4556 on: 27 September, 2023, 07:51:24 am »
Went over to our office corner shop (Asda) yesterday lunchtime to try to book a flu jab (I am five months too young for the free one this year).
Sorry, the wrong pharmacist is on duty.  ???
I could understand 'we can't give you one now because...', but not being allowed to book one?
So I had to wait until I got home to book an appointment on line. At the same store.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4557 on: 27 September, 2023, 08:00:11 am »
A jab in each arm - Covid to the left, flu to the right. The flu jab caused me to bleed on my lovely linen shirt.

Interesting (FCVO). We also had Covid left, 'flu right. Must be the Pharmacists union decision.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4558 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:34:10 am »
A jab in each arm - Covid to the left, flu to the right. The flu jab caused me to bleed on my lovely linen shirt.

Interesting (FCVO). We also had Covid left, 'flu right. Must be the Pharmacists union decision.

When I got both last year I was told they were putting the flu jag in the dominant arm as there had been more reports of discomfort with the Covid jag.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4559 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:39:59 am »
"Covid to the left of me, flu to the right, here I am, jabbed in the middle with you"

Vaccination by Tarantino
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4560 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:53:05 am »

When I got both last year I was told they were putting the flu jag in the dominant arm as there had been more reports of discomfort with the Covid jag.

Well thats was true for me - except they never asked if I were left or right handed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4561 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:47:23 pm »
I have the issue no one wants to jag me in the left arm (my more disabled arm) but if I even needed two jags they also wouldn't want to do two in the right arm. I did try to get them to do a leg jag at my first Covid jag to save wrecking my only good arm but they said they hadn't been trained on that and refused - nicely, to be fair and understood why I was asking (I got the proper doctor for being a bit weird).

I do need to see if the pharmacy will do me a flu stab as they were super keen to do so last year ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4562 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:54:26 pm »
Do we have to call them jags?  It just makes me think of John Prescott.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4563 on: 27 September, 2023, 04:41:03 pm »
I believe it's a Caledonian trait, ma'am.

Jan and I are both feeling pretty well wiped out after our intrusions yesterday. I even had some paracetamol this morning, and I fell asleep in my wonderfully comfortable chair for an hour or two this afternoon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4564 on: 27 September, 2023, 08:17:55 pm »
I have the issue no one wants to jag me in the left arm (my more disabled arm) but if I even needed two jags they also wouldn't want to do two in the right arm. I did try to get them to do a leg jag at my first Covid jag to save wrecking my only good arm but they said they hadn't been trained on that and refused - nicely, to be fair and understood why I was asking (I got the proper doctor for being a bit weird).

I do need to see if the pharmacy will do me a flu stab as they were super keen to do so last year ;)

I'm booked for Covid & 'flu jabs tomorrow.
David will get the Covid jab but pharmacy claimed not to have 'flu jabs for under 65s...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4565 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:38:35 pm »
While the COVID vaccine knocked me out for about 2.5 days last week, I haven't had so much as a sore arm from the flu one on Monday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4566 on: 28 September, 2023, 05:46:22 pm »
While the COVID vaccine knocked me out for about 2.5 days last week, I haven't had so much as a sore arm from the flu one on Monday.

We both had two jabs today.
Await events...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4567 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:16:06 pm »
While falling asleep last night, I observed (as I usually do) that my left ear drum seems to be continually rhythmically vibrating.

Somewhat curious, this evening I fired up an online metronome and established that my left ear drum seems to be pulsating at 284 beats per minute.

45 going on 46, 6'2", Size 48 (EU) feet, resting heart rate of 56bpm.  ???

« Reply #4568 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:19:47 pm »
A friend of mine has COVID. Until he tested today he thought it was flu. Proper nasty, he tells me

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4569 on: 29 September, 2023, 03:13:53 pm »

We both had two jabs today.
Await events...

I am well. My arms feel a little bruised, which is eminently forgettable.

D report poor sleep, pain both arms, mucle pains elsewhere and claims to be at death's door

which I do not believe!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4570 on: 02 October, 2023, 10:40:57 pm »
My sloth is probably going to save me from late evening snacking. This is a good think; I just need to convince myself of this.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4571 on: 03 October, 2023, 01:11:13 pm »
Had co-vid vacc in left arm and flu vacc in right arm yesterday.
I remarked to the nurse that the flu vacc was more painful, and she said that a lot of folks had said the same.
That's why they do the co-vid first!

More worryingly, the lass on the computer found that my records said I had a flu vacc 3 weeks ago at a pharmacist in Huddersfield.
Totally wrong.
I am going to follow it up as that is all my data including date of birth and NHS number that someone has got unauthorised access to.
Anyone else had this happen?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4572 on: 03 October, 2023, 01:15:29 pm »
Nonsense in medical records is normal and ordinary, but it does raise an interesting question of how that particular factoid got there.  (Possibly a pharmacist in Huddersfield making a typo?)

« Reply #4573 on: 03 October, 2023, 04:44:12 pm »
I'm still chasing it up.
When I went for my genuine vaccinations at our local practice I was, as usual, asked name (my first name is unusual for someone of my generation), DofB, and address. And my records were up on their computer.
If the vaccinator in Huddersfield did ask those questions, it's difficult to see how a mistake could be made.
Yes, I know humans make mistakes, but there are a lot of checks in the NHS.

« Reply #4574 on: 03 October, 2023, 06:55:09 pm »
Nonsense in medical records is normal and ordinary, but it does raise an interesting question of how that particular factoid got there.  (Possibly a pharmacist in Huddersfield making a typo?)

After I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation, COPD suddenly appeared on my records.  I have no symptoms for that at all, and don't recall any procedure which would have tested for it.  I can't be bothered to get it checked by the GP practice because I 'd have to make sandwiches and find my sleeping bag - even for a phone appointment.

EDIT:  Just looked up the testing for COPD and it seems there are several procedures (which I've had) that could "surreptitiously" indicate COPD whilst ostensibly checking more urgent stuff.  These include, electro and echo cardiograms, and blood-oxygen readings (when I thought they were just taking my temperature with a clothes peg).  But I still have no symptoms and any breathlessness (which I also don't have) would be more likely to be owing to the AF, I think.  Anyway, I imagine that they don't think it's serious because I've not been offered anything for it.  Just don't know for certain how it got on the records.