Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480120 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4800 on: 29 February, 2024, 01:37:27 am »
Partner & I BOTH saw GP for lumps on face on 17 January, me because I had spot in EXACTLY same anatomical location as Mum had Keratoacanthoma removed a few days before and he because he has a spot I thought was a basal cell carcinoma.
We sent mobile phone pictures to GP
I asked to go to Ealing Hospital, where Mum had been treated and brother-in-law is a consultant. I was seen in Ealing on 30 January, reassured and discharged.
David has just been seen by a Community Dermatologist in Wembley. They are going to cut his spot out at some point in the future, at some clinic in Rayners Lane.
Await events...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4801 on: 29 February, 2024, 07:56:01 am »
Funny you should mention that: I'm off to the dermatologist in a thick hour from now for her to have a gander at the pink patch on my forearm that first appeared as a tiny itchy point mid-october.  I showed it to a pharmacist last week, she gave me a new mycocide and told me to show it to the GP if it didn't disappear in 6 days. On Tuesday GP listened, looked and got his secretary to book the dermatologist. Two days later and I'm in.

Fingers crossed.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4802 on: 29 February, 2024, 10:47:11 am »
And out again, having had pink patch + divers blibs & blebs cauterized with liquid N2: "pre-cancerous". Cheery lass, the dermato, same age as my son, thought I was 10 years younger than I am so now I'm a cheery lad. Tell you what, though, liquid N2 on the bridge of your nose hurts.

Last time I had N2 treatment was at university, when a bored doc with a vast Dewar vessel daubed warts with a Q-tip.

Hope everyone else's skin issues turn out as trivial.

« Reply #4803 on: 29 February, 2024, 11:19:42 am »
My dad used to burn out any warts we got using a philips screwdriver chilled in liquid N2 (we had it on the farm for branding horses).

Yes, it bloody hurts. Only had it applied to feet, so not sure if nose would be worse or not.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4804 on: 29 February, 2024, 02:56:53 pm »
Doc thinks I have Dupuytren's disease in my hand, which accounts for the odd lump that's been growing slowly for the last 4 months or so. I hope it doesn't develop much further - I don't really fancy having a finger stop straightening, or surgery.

« Reply #4805 on: 29 February, 2024, 04:38:36 pm »
80% probability that it will never progress. Lower if you have a first degree relative with the cndition

« Reply #4806 on: 29 February, 2024, 05:11:12 pm »
My dad had crooked little fingers, one bent at 90degrees. My brother's were a little crooked, mine not noticeable and it straightened.

I think that was something different to Dupuytren's, erm Camptodactyly it is called
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4807 on: 29 February, 2024, 05:13:02 pm »
My dad had crooked little fingers, one bent at 90degrees. My brother's were a little crooked, mine not noticeable and it straightened.

I think that was something different to Dupuytren's, erm Camptodactyly it is called
camptodactyly or clinodactyly depending on orientation

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4808 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:06:52 pm »
And out again, having had pink patch + divers blibs & blebs cauterized with liquid N2: "pre-cancerous". Cheery lass, the dermato, same age as my son, thought I was 10 years younger than I am so now I'm a cheery lad. Tell you what, though, liquid N2 on the bridge of your nose hurts.
Last time I had N2 treatment was at university, when a bored doc with a vast Dewar vessel daubed warts with a Q-tip.
Hope everyone else's skin issues turn out as trivial.

Some 35 years ago, one of the services the Surgical team at the Gilbert Bain Hospital in Shetland offered was the Wart Clinic, where we applied liquid N2 to the warts & veruccæ of Shetland every 3 weeks, when the boat came in.

I asked Boss to do the 20+ vericcæ on my left foot, at the end of clinic, when all the other punters had gone home and he obliged.

3 weeks later, he was on Paternity Leave so I DIYed my 20 veruccæ & kept working/walking.
Decided I could do this if I wore spongy running shoes rather than Smart Shoes and dress code laxity was better than going off sick.

Cured my feet...

« Reply #4809 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:08:23 pm »
80% probability that it will never progress. Lower if you have a first degree relative with the cndition

Do you mean 80% chance of it not progressing far enough for surgery to be recommended, or something else? If the former, that's comforting, thanks; the impression I got from the Dr was that it was almost inevitable. I'm not aware of any relative having it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4810 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:10:14 pm »
Both Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher had Dupuytren’s contracture...

« Reply #4811 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:20:36 pm »
Not people I was hoping to have much in common with.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4812 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:25:43 pm »
Isn't Dupuytren’s straightening surgery one of the most effective ones? My stepmum had surgery for hers very successfully.

I have a finger stuck at 45 degrees for OtherReasons, it is annoying, but the hand is so generally impaired there isn't much that could be done, so thankfully no one tried to hack at it in the 1980s. Just a stupid splint that made my finger go blue so I binned it.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4813 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:27:40 pm »
My mum treated our verrucae, with razor blades and salicylic acid. Nurses really are fucking sadists.

I think both sisters did have bad enough ones to see chiropodists for more serious treatment or perhaps were less tolerant to my mum's slicy treatment than I was.

« Reply #4814 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:35:12 pm »
Isn't Dupuytren’s straightening surgery one of the most effective ones? My stepmum had surgery for hers very successfully.

I have a finger stuck at 45 degrees for OtherReasons, it is annoying, but the hand is so generally impaired there isn't much that could be done, so thankfully no one tried to hack at it in the 1980s. Just a stupid splint that made my finger go blue so I binned it.

I'm not sure. I've read there are 4 different surgery options, and they sounded relatively straightforward to a non-medic, but I've not seen any stats.

« Reply #4815 on: 29 February, 2024, 10:34:40 pm »

Do you mean 80% chance of it not progressing far enough for surgery to be recommended, or something else? If the former, that's comforting, thanks; the impression I got from the Dr was that it was almost inevitable. I'm not aware of any relative having it.
80% of nodules never progress to a contracture. If you are over 65-70 it is probably 90%. Even if it does progress to a contracture there are simple treatments available which are n and out in 30 minutes and using the hand the following day.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4816 on: 29 February, 2024, 10:50:45 pm »
I had a verruca done with a hot wire.

Local anaesthetic, then hot wire. Cue magnificent smoke and a smell like at stubble burning time, and a cured verruca.

I think I got it off a toilet seat.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4817 on: 01 March, 2024, 07:37:46 am »

Now I'm imagining a mincing pteranodon.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4818 on: 01 March, 2024, 09:21:31 am »

80% of nodules never progress to a contracture. If you are over 65-70 it is probably 90%. Even if it does progress to a contracture there are simple treatments available which are n and out in 30 minutes and using the hand the following day.

As Chris says, the surgery is very quick and straightforward - the procedures used are primarily done as an outpatient procedure these days. 

However, that's if you can get it done.  Dupuytren’s contracture release is on the Evidence Based Interventions list and subject to Prior Approval.  It's one of the treatment's that ICBs tend to restrict when they're running short on funds.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4819 on: 01 March, 2024, 09:55:47 am »
Regulator is technically right but on this occasion the rules were at least helped by the surgeon.  the limits are 25deg contracture at the MCP joint or any contracture at the PIPjoint.  Needle Aponeurotomy is a game changer and is so cheap that I do not know of a single place it is banned.  problem is that not all surgeons are trained or willing yet.

« Reply #4820 on: 01 March, 2024, 10:05:22 am »
Given Chris Bainbridge is THE MAN for this I'm astounded even Regulator feels the need to interject.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4821 on: 01 March, 2024, 10:30:06 am »
Given Chris Bainbridge is THE MAN for this I'm astounded even Regulator feels the need to interject.

I'm not not really commenting the technical side of it... I'm commenting from the perspective of a provider who provides these procedures for the NHS across England on the restrictions that are being placed on patients accessing them in a timely manner.  It gets worse as the financial year wears on...  roll on April (if the Treasury actually get round to agreeing the 2024/25 NHS settlement before the General Election in May).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4822 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:36:00 pm »
I guess with my lack of exercise, general lazyitis, and winter hibernation feeding, I'm becoming a lardy fatty.  205.8 lbs  BMI 26.4, 0.56 waist to height ratio. :facepalm: Which is a bit concerning as both my dad, and grandad were very overweight, and had issues with their heart (dad died of sudden heart failure in 2016).

« Reply #4823 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:54:42 pm »
I guess with my lack of exercise, general lazyitis, and winter hibernation feeding, I'm becoming a lardy fatty.  205.8 lbs  BMI 26.4, 0.56 waist to height ratio. :facepalm: Which is a bit concerning as both my dad, and grandad were very overweight, and had issues with their heart (dad died of sudden heart failure in 2016).
Don't listen to BMI.

I'm currently 28.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4824 on: 03 March, 2024, 08:33:22 pm »
A little over zealous hill climbing has made my right knee intermittently very painful. I'll hit the ibuprofen tomorrow and see if it settles down again.
the slower you go the more you see