Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480180 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4825 on: 03 March, 2024, 11:00:02 pm »
Brian, that doesn't sound irretrievable. I too am lardy (similar BMI to you I think) due to immobility and slightly suboptimal diet.

I'm hoping once this leg has healed I can look at my options to do something about it as I do know weight-management is one of the few things that helps hip dysplasia. Although my excellent physios also counselled me not to get too fixated on 'being lardy' as I'm not close to worrying them and they didn't want me to go underweight either.

I hope you can look at your options and find something that works for you without fucking your head up too much cos weightloss is surrounded by much fuckery/stigma.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4826 on: 04 March, 2024, 08:37:34 am »
Had a very high blood glucose reading an hour after breakfast, and since I read somewhere years ago about caffeine being antidiabetic I had a double espresso. Then came up to my office and looked it up, only to find that I was 180° out of phase and that caffeine causes a spike in BG levels, ho ho ho.  Although since the reaction to the spike could well be a gush of insulin, maybe my BG will decline overall.

Now looking forward to the down side of the roller-coaster: towards 11 o'clock I should be shaking but not to worry, we have lots of energy bars.

New meds are such fun!

Oh aye, my legs are still sore from Saturday's romp and one knee is bellyaching, so I'm obviously getting something right.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4827 on: 04 March, 2024, 10:47:11 am »
I guess with my lack of exercise, general lazyitis, and winter hibernation feeding, I'm becoming a lardy fatty.  205.8 lbs  BMI 26.4, 0.56 waist to height ratio. :facepalm: Which is a bit concerning as both my dad, and grandad were very overweight, and had issues with their heart (dad died of sudden heart failure in 2016).

I can't remember when I was last had a BMI of 26.4....   perhaps when I was a foetus.

My BMI is at the level at the moment where some providers might decline elective care.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4828 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:00:19 am »
I guess with my lack of exercise, general lazyitis, and winter hibernation feeding, I'm becoming a lardy fatty.  205.8 lbs  BMI 26.4, 0.56 waist to height ratio. :facepalm: Which is a bit concerning as both my dad, and grandad were very overweight, and had issues with their heart (dad died of sudden heart failure in 2016).

I can't remember when I was last had a BMI of 26.4....   perhaps when I was a foetus.

My BMI is at the level at the moment where some providers might decline elective care.
My BMI is at the level where I have been refused critical illness cover and the stats on hip replacement complications mean I won't do it, even if they would.

BMI might be a population measure but there's no real doubt that if you have big numbers and aren't a professional athlete, you're unhealthily fat.

26.4 is higher than my goal weight.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4829 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:02:35 am »
Back in the 80's the overweight Franz-Josef Strauß, Minister-President of Bavaria, caused a rule to be adopted to the effect that civil servants whose weight in kilos was greater than their height in cm minus 100 had six months to reduce it or they'd get the boot.  In other words, if he was getting grief for his weight he'd do his best to make everyone else suffer too.  Not a bad rule, though.

Anyway, I have just had the eBrute out without the battery for a 2km blast to try out my new cleats.  Blood sugar dropped so fast I had half a fruit/peanut bar at the turnaround.  Getting it under control is going to take a bit of work...  Maybe (bleh) walking might be involved.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4830 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:04:25 am »

My BMI is at the level where I have been refused critical illness cover and the stats on hip replacement complications mean I won't do it, even if they would.

BMI might be a population measure but there's no real doubt that if you have big numbers and aren't a professional athlete, you're unhealthily fat.

26.4 is higher than my goal weight.

My target weight (agreed with my cardiologist) will give me a BMI of 30(ish)...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4831 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:37:38 am »
Back in the 80's the overweight Franz-Josef Strauß, Minister-President of Bavaria, caused a rule to be adopted to the effect that civil servants whose weight in kilos was greater than their height in cm minus 100 had six months to reduce it or they'd get the boot.  In other words, if he was getting grief for his weight he'd do his best to make everyone else suffer too.  Not a bad rule, though.

Anyway, I have just had the eBrute out without the battery for a 2km blast to try out my new cleats.  Blood sugar dropped so fast I had half a fruit/peanut bar at the turnaround.  Getting it under control is going to take a bit of work...  Maybe (bleh) walking might be involved.

Ugh.
I would have just met that requirement when I was kayak racing, but according to the company health check, I was under recommended fat levels (below 15%, which is recommended for my age). They wanted me to eat more.

So, my BMI of 28 accompanies a waist/height ratio of 0.56.

No news there, I need to work on it.

Chest is still bigger than waist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4832 on: 04 March, 2024, 11:41:22 am »

Or someone mis-recorded your height years ago, possibly due to Mars Climate Orbiter issues.   :facepalm:

I used to get regular weight-based naggings, until a newbie nurse noticed that I was slightly taller than her and decided to check my height.  I took the time to remove my shoes and get her to measure with me standing with the weight on each leg and both, so we could get to the bottom of what was a realistic figure.

The naggings stopped.  Then the world went to shit and I'm back to having the opposite problem (which is, AIUI, where BMI is a more clinically useful measure).

barakta

« Reply #4833 on: 04 March, 2024, 01:24:15 pm »
I think the thing with BMI is not just accurate measurements but Using Your Brain.

I think at 25 BMI I'm definitely slightly overweight for my build which is relatively small. Nothing catastrophic, just "a bit overweight". My hip physio was worried when I aimed to lose 10Kg in 2020 that I'd 'overdo it' and get MH related eating issues. I think this was in part cos I was nowhere near their 'concern' BMI/weight and being underweight or certain kinds of weight loss may be bad for bones/healing.

The reason Hip (and I guess knee) procedures have BMI limits is about the forces through the femur. I think my dysplasia book says for every Kg of bodyweight there's approx 6 Newtons worth of force through the joint/femur. That's why they want us less heavy for hip surgeries and replacement may be even more so than the osteotomies. That is why I thought getting 10Kg off my weight in 2020 was worth doing, 60N being not insignificant.

My ex on the other hand, 6'6" and built like an absolute tank. We worked out his BMI 25 weight was about 13.5 stone. When we were together when he was 19-23 years old and more like 21-22 stone which was fairly overweight (he had recently stopped SeriousSportsing, discovered BEER and his mental health was atrocious). A few years later I bumped into him and he was unrecognisable (I only knew it was him cos how many redhaired giants were going to be in that space), he'd got his weight down to 18 stone and restarted rugballing again. He was still by BMI maths overweight but I doubt he could have gone much lower without being in danger territory.

That's why I think waist ratio and other measures and common sense are also a good idea. In my experience the sensible doctors will consider that.

I think also there are some cases where medical gatekeeping on BMI is used as a way to keep the numbers down as well as being genuine medical needs. An engineer friend undergoing fertility treatment asked for evidence showing weight as a risk factor and none could be supplied (she also looked) and it basically came down to the (private) hospital's insewerants policies. So she lost the weight under duress for the treatment and went back to her more stable whatevers afterwards.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4834 on: 04 March, 2024, 01:40:45 pm »
The GP seemed to be keen on waist circumference a few years ago, around the point they started taking one look at me and not bothering.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4835 on: 04 March, 2024, 02:27:43 pm »
My old GP's favourite trick was telling you to get on the scale when you were still half-dressed.  On one occasion, after I objected, we determined that my jeans incl belt + pocket contents weighed 2 kilos.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4836 on: 04 March, 2024, 02:29:17 pm »
I still think BMI is SILLY if your height in metres isn’t around 1.73, which is the square root of 3.

That’s a fair guess for Mr Average and works for Ms Average.

Mr Tall is 2 metres tall and ‘overweight’ at 100kg; that’s hardly more than a beanpole! A cubic function would make more sense...

« Reply #4837 on: 04 March, 2024, 02:33:07 pm »
The reason Hip (and I guess knee) procedures have BMI limits is about the forces through the femur. I think my dysplasia book says for every Kg of bodyweight there's approx 6 Newtons worth of force through the joint/femur. That's why they want us less heavy for hip surgeries and replacement may be even more so than the osteotomies. That is why I thought getting 10Kg off my weight in 2020 was worth doing, 60N being not insignificant.

No. It's not about your level of suffering which is what the forces through the joint will tell you. It's about the poor blood supply in fat so 'healthier' subcutaneous fat means the incision site is poorly 'fed'. The increase in deep infections for THR with higher BMI is entirely due to that. As a woman who carries her weight in the traditional pear shaped way- fat hips, thighs and arse- I'm a terrible candidate for surgery. Knees have much less fat cover and so excess weight is less of an issue except in that it correlates with other health issues that affect recovery and surgery.

I'm increasingly finding my 'BUT I'M FIT' claims are just my own comforting fiction. BMI matters

« Reply #4838 on: 04 March, 2024, 03:22:15 pm »
I am sat here recuperating after removal of my eyelid lesion. Everybody is being very nice to me.

« Reply #4839 on: 04 March, 2024, 03:53:53 pm »
I am sat here recuperating after removal of my eyelid lesion. Everybody is being very nice to me.

" I can see clearly now, the eyelid's gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the lesions now that had me blind"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4840 on: 04 March, 2024, 03:58:26 pm »
I am sat here recuperating after removal of my eyelid lesion.

<wince>  Good to have it behind you.

Everybody is being very nice to me.

So they should.  Tea & bickies?

barakta

« Reply #4841 on: 04 March, 2024, 08:32:35 pm »
Hope you're now escaped home Chris and it's not too uncomfortable.

« Reply #4842 on: 04 March, 2024, 09:41:28 pm »
Finished the teaching session (3 hours) then headed home. I did get tea and biscuits. Very good custard creams actually.

barakta

« Reply #4843 on: 04 March, 2024, 09:49:57 pm »
Biccits are the best! One level down from hospital toast which is also amazing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4844 on: 05 March, 2024, 08:44:45 am »
Bowl of "coffee" with a length of split baguette with butter to dunk in it. Sure you end up with butter floaters but that just adds to the charm. Slurp!

« Reply #4845 on: 05 March, 2024, 12:13:52 pm »
Bowl of "coffee" with a length of split baguette with butter to dunk in it. Sure you end up with butter floaters but that just adds to the charm. Slurp!
Will you please stop going on about the advantages of living in France, this talk of bowls of coffee, patisseries, croissants, etc is really quite of putting for most of us.  Most of us still have to put up with stale dishwater, cheap bacon sandwiches  and stale flapjack at our stops.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4846 on: 05 March, 2024, 01:10:17 pm »
Sorry, Chris.  If it helps, the best bacon sandwich I ever had was from a wee shop at the bottom of the Royal Mile at 6 am one May morning after spending the night on Arthur's Seat.

« Reply #4847 on: 05 March, 2024, 02:20:25 pm »
My "good" knee has been sore (in a nagging "you've done something that the medial ligament didn't like" sort of way) for the last few days. I have no idea what might have caused it.
Last night, my wife rolled over in bed and clonked her knee right onto my (left) kneecap. Now my "good" knee has 2 different ways in which it is painful! :( Soon it will be catching up with the bad one!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4848 on: 05 March, 2024, 03:06:43 pm »
Brian, that doesn't sound irretrievable. I too am lardy (similar BMI to you I think) due to immobility and slightly suboptimal diet.

I'm hoping once this leg has healed I can look at my options to do something about it as I do know weight-management is one of the few things that helps hip dysplasia. Although my excellent physios also counselled me not to get too fixated on 'being lardy' as I'm not close to worrying them and they didn't want me to go underweight either.

I hope you can look at your options and find something that works for you without fucking your head up too much cos weightloss is surrounded by much fuckery/stigma.

I'm certainly going to try and be a bit more mindful what I eat.  Do I really need two slice of toast with butter and jam after a huge bowl of overnight oats for breakfast (with sultanas and sugar)?

barakta

« Reply #4849 on: 05 March, 2024, 04:59:03 pm »
Mindfulness about eating sounds wise. You may be one of those people who will gradually lose weight with a small deficit of calories, or may not, but either way, if you can stop the gain, and related habits which lead to gain, you can re-assess for weightloss another time.

I'm very much not worrying right now while in recovery, trying to get my veg/vitamin/calcium, iron and protein uptake as high as manageable, worry about the rest later.