Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 480367 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4850 on: 05 March, 2024, 10:24:00 pm »
Mindfulness about eating sounds wise. You may be one of those people who will gradually lose weight with a small deficit of calories, or may not, but either way, if you can stop the gain, and related habits which lead to gain, you can re-assess for weightloss another time.

I'm very much not worrying right now while in recovery, trying to get my veg/vitamin/calcium, iron and protein uptake as high as manageable, worry about the rest later.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4851 on: 05 March, 2024, 10:44:08 pm »
Thanks. Need to get iron on board and new blood cells created as quick as I can (which isn't quick) so probably slow. But GP doesn't seem worried and was helpful. Work are being fine too.

« Reply #4852 on: 06 March, 2024, 06:52:03 am »
I had a panic attack this morning at around 01.30 and phoned 111 someone will call me this morning. Around 0430 I have gone into retention. I managed a movement at about 0600 but I am still in retention. I have had no sleep all night.
It's not my day is it  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4853 on: 06 March, 2024, 07:49:26 am »
Doesn't sound like it.  Try imagining you're out in the country looking across a field with the bike leaning on a post beside you. Works for me.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4854 on: 06 March, 2024, 08:11:59 am »
Retention is awful. Hope you get relief soon.

« Reply #4855 on: 06 March, 2024, 08:35:26 am »
Another. movement and still in retention.  Waiting for the doctor to phone  :'(

« Reply #4856 on: 06 March, 2024, 07:00:46 pm »
The doctor said go to a and e which I think 111 should have advised. That was at 0930. Taxi to a and e and catheter was fitted at 1100. Taken upstairs for a long wait for bags and tubes and then more waiting for transport home. There must be some residue damage from the last time I had a catheter as the insertion was very painful in 2 spot's and became almost unbearable in a short time. I have been given some co dy dramol 10mg500mg .to help with the pain and some daziepam 2mg to help me sleep so hopefully the world will look a little better

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4857 on: 06 March, 2024, 10:13:19 pm »
The doctor said go to a and e which I think 111 should have advised.

This is the problem with 111.  At least NHS [re]direct had calls answered by nurses.  Which meant that although they were a bit ambulance-happy when it came to breathing issues, meant that they'd hopefully have sufficient medical clue to know that urinary retention is a proceed directly to A&E job, or that you don't treat known faecal impaction with para-fucking-cetamol.

Unfortunately, proper out-of-hours services have basically evaporated, so you're stuck with 111, who will take ages to call you back, read from a script, then pass your details on to a third party service, who will finally manage to get someone medically qualified to contact you about half an hour after your GP opens the next morning.

Anyway, hope TEH GOOD DRUGZ help, and you aren't stuck with the extra plumbing for too long...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4858 on: 07 March, 2024, 08:46:32 am »
Anyway, hope TEH GOOD DRUGZ help, and you aren't stuck with the extra plumbing for too long...

+1

---o0o---

Meanwhile, glibenclamide instead of metformin has made life interesting, but mostly in a fun sort of way:  I do go hypo at times but it's mostly predictable and a good excuse to eat something verboten, and with less ingested starch & sugar getting down to Skid Row (aka lower intestine) the inexorable expanding-faecal-foam effect has gone.  Gone!!!!  Hoist a flag and fire a gut gun. And with less gut pressure the acid reflux has declined quite remarkably.

Blood glucose figures aren't that great but it's early days yet and in any case I no longer give an expanding-foam shit.

« Reply #4859 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:40:11 pm »
Back into hospital this morning with extreme stomach bloating which effected my Breathing making me pant when I moved about. I have felt hot and sweaty all day. The ambulance   crew did a  ecg and blood pressure which was a bit higher than my normal. The hospital Was uncomfortably hot and when I got back this afternoon I ran warm bath. Interestingly the discomfort where the catheter enters disappeared while in the bath and for a while afterwards. Now I'm feeling constipated and have just taken a gamble on another movicol . I am hoping that I'll be able to get some sleep tonight 😴
The saga continues......... ::-)

« Reply #4860 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:55:27 pm »
This sounds grim Chris.  GWS.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4861 on: 07 March, 2024, 09:41:09 pm »
Thanks Andrew,doctor said that I should take another movicol and I have done so and I still feel like I can almost succeed with just a bit more effort but it never quite works. I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight again and tomorrow the doctor said something about using a different laxative. It feels like I'm jamed somehow. Frightening me and scared of what is happening to me. I'm a terrible weak wimp I'm afraid  :'(

« Reply #4862 on: 08 March, 2024, 03:32:45 am »
And it's getting worse. The movicol hasn't worked and the catheter has blood in the urine and appears to be blocked as I'm now leaking bloody urine around the pipe and getting my shorts wet with in I am expecting a call from medical people soon after 1st trying 111with a 2 hours wait ì used my pendent alarm system and spoke to ambulanc :'(e service and they said someone will call me soon to get me some assistance .
I think that I will use 111 only for non urgent needs in future.. terrified of where all this is going. And yet another night with no sleep. I'm beginning to wish euthanasia was a option. Better than this pain fear and uncertainty

« Reply #4863 on: 08 March, 2024, 05:13:21 am »
And I'm back in wexham hospital on trolley bed and the probably long wait begins for me to be seen  ::-)

« Reply #4864 on: 08 March, 2024, 05:30:54 am »
Could be up to 6 hours to be seen  :o

« Reply #4865 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:44:45 am »
Oh no. Hope things get sorted.

« Reply #4866 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:54:12 am »
That is grim, hope you can get some relief soon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4867 on: 08 March, 2024, 08:33:42 am »
Could be up to 6 hours to be seen  :o

Hope it goes faster than that.  Having to wait in that condition is vile.

rr

« Reply #4868 on: 08 March, 2024, 09:15:01 am »

My mum treated our verrucae, with razor blades and salicylic acid. Nurses really are fucking sadists.

I did my own, with my swiss army knife and clear nail varnish.

« Reply #4869 on: 08 March, 2024, 11:32:21 am »
Just seeing the doctor now and get some painkiller s first off

« Reply #4870 on: 08 March, 2024, 11:37:06 am »
These trolley beds are bloody uncomfortable. Bits of are aching I didn't know I had  :facepalm:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4871 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:50:33 pm »
Can you ask for a pressure mattress on the grounds that with your partial spinal injury you're at risk of pressure sores (frame it that way).

Hope you are getting somewhere with care now Chris.

« Reply #4872 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:35:57 pm »
Your be lucky  barakta, I was lucky to get a  pillow. Rare apparently in wexham hospital a and e
I ended up having a scan in what looked like donut 🍩 before getting painkillers. Then they went to fit a bigger catheter and couldn't get get it in so fitted one the same size as the original one 🙄. Happily the scan shows no problem and I'm now home and very sore. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight as I have lost  nights sleep now 😴

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4873 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:41:06 pm »
Your be lucky  barakta, I was lucky to get a  pillow. Rare apparently in wexham hospital a and e

The Royal Orthopaedic also has a pillow problem.  Apparently they all migrate to ADCU, leaving the wards bereft.

I ended up having a scan in what looked like donut 🍩 before getting painkillers.

CT, presumably.  Should rule out serious nasties.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4874 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:52:21 pm »
Hope you're doing reasonably okayish (ideally better but hey) Chris.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.