Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 73364 times)

Re: Readers' Instruments
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »
I haven't done anything this year to speak of.  All my oomph disappeared back in May when my daughter - for whom the bass was intended - dropped a financial bomb on us and the quacks hobbled me with meds they needed me to take to cover their arses.  I did start some panelling for the hall but that's on hold until the tools in the workshop are warmer than the stuff in our fridge.

Good luck with all that. Hopefully you'll be able to crack on soon.

Just a word on building through necks - I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but get the bridge you want to use before you start so you can get your neck break angle sorted early doors. It will save a whole world of pain later.

Here's the Thunderbird I'm building - fretboard thicknessed, bridge acquired, neck break angle machined in:

Even if you buy a bridge designed for something with no break angle (eg Fender style bolt on) I'd still put in a tiny angle. Every bolt on guitar/bass I've ever owned has needed a shim in the neck pocket to get the action down to something playable....

Edit: A useful resource: Neck Angle Calculator
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2019, 09:59:38 am »
I've been playing my old Dolmetsch recorders a bit this weekend.  They're rosewood, and the tone is beautiful.  Because I haven't played them for more than twenty years, I'll need to 'play them in' as if they were new.  It's amazing how the fingerings come back to you - I can play a number of melodies (which I'm sure I've never played before) without sheet music, just by feel.

Here's the treble:

(Oh well, photo doesn't seem to want to upload...)

« Reply #327 on: February 29, 2020, 05:46:10 pm »
The latest addition to the family - I've never actually played a tin whistle before, and came across this whilst randomly browsing the internet the other day. I had no choice but to buy it...

Obviously, I'll now need versions in different keys (though only D is available in purple, it seems), thus the n+1 continues... :facepalm:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #328 on: February 29, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »

Itch for nylon guitar satisfied.

I’m a bit of a fan of Faith guitars :smug:

« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2020, 07:25:34 am »
How often do you all practice on your instruments?

PaulF

« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2020, 08:02:42 am »

I try and play most days if I can.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2020, 08:16:50 am »

Never, these days. Hands too stiff from hauling wood and motor nerves mildly fucked up from diabetes. Also have a finger that takes off on its own when I hold it straight for too long - the tendon appears to quit its normal location.

Heigh ho.

I used to do a couple of hours a days 'way back when. I didn't call it practice, though, I called it fun.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2020, 08:37:05 am »
I’m a bit of a fan of Faith guitars

Me too. I bought a 12-string Faith back in 2011 and have been impressed. If you like, have a listen to it on my 57 second YouTube video, here.

I play daily, most of the time, but not all the time would I call it proper practice.

I tell many youngsters to spend as long on their instrument and as often as they clean their teeth, so somthing like 2 minutes twice a day minimum to help make playing their instrument a regular habit. There will be times when they so enjoy it that the time will increase but at least at the times they don't feel so inspired they will be keeping the motor skills going.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2020, 09:21:07 am »
Well, I managed to do about an hour's worth of playing yesterday, but I'm not sure I'd call it practice.
Most days I get as far as the door to the music room, stare at the instruments for a bit, then turn round and walk away.
After 48 years the novelty's worn off somewhat.
If I have to learn stuff for any new songs that the band intends to play then I'll do it. Otherwise I often cannot summon up any enthusiasm. This winter has seen a dearth of gigs and it's playing in a band that fires me most.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
I’m a bit of a fan of Faith guitars

Me too. I bought a 12-string Faith back in 2011 and have been impressed. If you like, have a listen to it on my 57 second YouTube video, here.

Always loved 12-strings.  Mine's a Höfner that I treated myself to 3 years ago before my hands degenerated too much.  Lovely sound playing acoustic and wondrous through an amp.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2020, 11:01:16 am »

Most of them are gathering a thick layer of dust (except the viola). :-[

« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:56 pm »
I play in a local orchestra, so I have to practice a lot. With no teacher (double bass teachers
are a rare breed) to iron out my bad habits, I use a couple of books to help with technique.
Very difficult to do that stuff and go over the orchestra's repetoire. Roll on retirement, when
I should have more time to do it all (and the other things I have mind).

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2020, 09:44:40 am »
I play in a local orchestra, so I have to practice a lot. With no teacher (double bass teachers are a rare breed)
to iron out my bad habits, I use a couple of books to help with technique. Very difficult to do that stuff and
go over the orchestra's repetoire. Roll on retirement, when I should have more time to do it all (and the other
things I have mind).

I hear you brother. Fitting orchestra practice into my already busy life is difficult. I did have a series of lessons a 2 or 3 years ago which has helped my bowing technique (as has my new bow) but the teacher could only find me a slot during the working day so I had to stop. A big benefit of playing regularly again is that I'm considerably more confident up at the dusty end, plus the general benefit of group support from our section.
Pen Pusher

PaulF

« Reply #338 on: April 15, 2020, 02:19:57 pm »
So you want to be a rock and roll star
Then listen now to what I say
Just get an electric guitar
Then take some time and learn how to play

I'm probably the only person to buy an electric guitar so that I can play more quietly but I'm often up way before my family and want something that I can play without disturbing the family. Frustratingly I only had time to plug it in and check it worked before joining a conference call.

« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2020, 03:29:14 pm »

I'm probably the only person to buy an electric guitar so that I can play more quietly

I'm considering buying an electric violin for the same reason (I had one years ago, but it weighed a tonne and was badly set up, so I got rid of it). Mid-floor flat means I don't play my acoustic nearly as often as I should.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2020, 09:38:08 am »
Don't play tenor sax then.  I've had people tell me that they can hear me from the far end of the footpath across the field behind my house, and that's at least a 1/4 mile!

I had an audience last week, for my inept, early attempts at In The Mood (I'm much better now...)