Author Topic: Allergy to dressings (?)  (Read 2803 times)

Allergy to dressings (?)
« on: 28 March, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
E Minor recently broke his collar bone. It was pretty spectacular: the broken end made a definite bulge in the skin… so it was repaired with a plate. The incision is extremely uncomfortable (the clips will be removed on Monday). i changed the dressing; mostly for padding to reduce discomfort. I stuck the padding on with Micropore tape… he's developed a rash under the tape.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Allergy to dressings (?)
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
Yes.
Micropore is one of the less allergenic tapes but allergies still occur.
Sometimes perspiration increases irritation.
In those with *really* sensitive skin, it can be best to avoid all adhesives by attaching dressings with bandages.

This is a real pain for a wound on the clavicle.

Alternatively, treat the wound by exposure to the air and clothe a with boil-washed T-shirt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »
I'm usually fine with micropore, but whatever the adhesive was on the dressings they used when I had my gallbladder removed went horrendously red and itchy within about 12 hours.  I opted for the open air and lots of piriton treatment.  It wasn't like I was in a state to move around enough to do any damage.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2014, 01:09:18 pm »
Does Transpore tape use the same adhesive as Micropore?  Both are made by 3M.

It sticks better anyway.  I got my visitors to bring me some when I was in hospital to stick my tubes down.  The nurses were always too busy.  :eyeroll:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2014, 12:09:09 pm »
Thank you all for your comments.

I'll try Transpore: it might work.

He's going to the fracture clinic tomorrow, so at least he'll have the clips removed and be taught some exercises to recover mobillty. I'll make sure that his reaction to dressings is noted.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
I don't know how old eminor is but feel you should instruct him to tell people he's allergic to stickies.
If you can list the stickies and tell those to him he can learn it; kids are memory machines!

Tegaderm ('sticky-backed plastic') might not cause problems. Or might.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »
My skin's sensitive to zinc oxide.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »

I think zinc oxide is only present in the old style Elastoplast type stickies.
Newer ones don't contain this nut still give me rashes, especially after a long time.

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »
helly, thanks for your comments. He's fifteen, so he's certainly old enough to heed the warning. His sensitivity has just flared up: the original dressing didn't cause any trouble, and neither did the tape securing the canullae in his hand.

I'll investigate Tegaderm. I

In the medium term, he has the operation to remove the plate to look forward to! In the long term, he's potentially going to have problems. His intereste include skateboarding and green woodwork, so he may need a lot of stickies…!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »
Mefix/mepore and Primapore tend to cause less skin trouble IME.

Many cannula dressings are based on it.

You can get a BIG reel of Mefix for £notalot online and I'd suggest you stock up.

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »
Mefix/mepore and Primapore tend to cause less skin trouble IME.

Many cannula dressings are based on it.

You can get a BIG reel of Mefix for £notalot online and I'd suggest you stock up.

Excellent advice! Thank you very much.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

I think zinc oxide is only present in the old style Elastoplast type stickies.
Newer ones don't contain this nut still give me rashes, especially after a long time.

Still in things like sudocreme so I have to be careful what I use on my chamois :-\

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:20:00 am »
I once had a dressing on my belly held down by sellotape, after my skin had reacted badly to traditional plasters, then to micropore (mildly, but the other marks were weeping & the space to stick things to was shrinking fast, so the hospital didn't want to risk continuing with it.

When a physio tried to tape my shoulder (ripped joint) together, it blistered, despite him using the supposedly low allergenic stuff.

But I can stick good old fashioned elastoplast on my hands, knees, or feet (especially the soles) with no real bother, as long as I don't leave 'em on too long, & I can tolerate micropore on such sensitive spots as the inside of my elbow joint - for a day or two. Then it goes red, & if not given a rest, it gets nasty. So I have to re-stick it in different places.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Fi

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2014, 10:19:42 am »
Use the barrier cream, Cavillon, before applying dressing.  Won't do anything for zinc oxide plaster allergy, but it works for supposedly low allergen sticky stuff.  The docs ought to have some and you can get it on prescription if you really need it.

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:18:31 am »
Use the barrier cream, Cavillon, before applying dressing.  Won't do anything for zinc oxide plaster allergy, but it works for supposedly low allergen sticky stuff.  The docs ought to have some and you can get it on prescription if you really need it.

Thank you.

He's just got back from the fracture clinic: the consultant surgeon is happy with the healing of the scar. He showed us the x-rays (before and after). The clavicle was displaced upwards by about 30mm, but has now been put back where it belongs. There'll be a progress review with x-ray in a couple of weeks, then the plate will be removed in the summer. The prognosis is good.

I've got four months to find a dressing tape that he doesn't react to...