Author Topic: 3 Peaks Challenge  (Read 2254 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
3 Peaks Challenge
« on: 16 June, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »
Son and 4 others are hoping to do the 3 Peaks Challenge this weekend.

Anybody on here done it? Able to offer much needed advice!?

I don't think they have a dedicated driver, so will be splitting the driver. HHHhhhmmm. :(
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Re: 3 Peaks Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2014, 04:05:12 pm »
If it's snowdon/scafell/ben nevis they are doing, um, it's not regarded with great favour by a lot of people.

Success relies on pushing speed limits etc
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »
I'm afraid to say i agree. Sorry :-(

There are plenty of other tough mountain challenges that don't require any dashing about in cars.

If they like night-hiking, suggest they Google Bob  Graham Round :-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riggers

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:37:08 am »
Thank you for voicing dislike of the 3 Peaks chaps, which I'm sure may be well founded, but given that the little chaps are determined to go ahead with this because of timings for all involved, and I suppose because it's a high-profile challenge, has anyone actually done it and able to offer advice?

Cheers m'dears.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:53:28 am »
Not considered very fondly round here, mainly because Scafell Pike is normally climbed at night so it just causes extra traffic, noise and Mountain Rescue call outs without really adding anything to the local area. Make sure they have good lights for Scafell Pike and remember, despite it being the smallest of the three there is still quite a temperature gradient between top and bottom.

For driving/logistics: -

If they are climbing from Wasdale, the low road out to Santon Bridge is currently closed for roadworks, so they will probably have to go in and out via Gosforth.

Also, do not go over Hardknott. It looks like it is short and fun, but it is the slowest way to the M6. A595/Corney Fell is probably quickest.

The only 24hr fuel station between Carlisle and Lancaster Services is at Tesco in Whitehaven. The shop is also 24hr (6am Mon - 12am Saturday night). To get fuel out overnight I think it's card only.

Final advice. If the driver is tired, stop and rest. Pushing on when too tired is not ever a good idea, and they are better being slightly out of time than being patched up in A&E or worse.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Riggers

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2014, 11:01:28 am »
Thanks Mushroomer. I shall pass it on. Exactly my thoughts regarding not having a dedicated driver, and so tiredness issues if they have to share.

Thank you.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2014, 03:31:46 pm »
Thank you for voicing dislike of the 3 Peaks chaps, which I'm sure may be well founded, but given that the little chaps are determined to go ahead with this because of timings for all involved,

You're very welcome ;-)

My advice - decide on things like drivers and route more than 5 days ahead.

Failing that, ask Dad!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2014, 09:07:25 pm »
There's a campsite at Seathwaite, do not pull up late at night and start jabbering. It is seriously annoying. Have one person sleep for each leg, so at least one is fit to drive between each mountain. Make a donation of £50 to each of Lochaber, Llanberis, and Wasdale or Keswick mountain rescues.e prepared for traffic jams as un originally almost everyone who does this tries this weekend as they are scared of the dark. Do not underestimate the navigation. At least two of them should be competent mountain navigators else they are asking for trouble. Ben Nevis still has snow and cornices on the north face, be very careful on that leg.

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2014, 11:14:45 am »
Thank you for voicing dislike of the 3 Peaks chaps, which I'm sure may be well founded, but given that the little chaps are determined to go ahead with this because of timings for all involved,

You're very welcome ;-)

My advice - decide on things like drivers and route more than 5 days ahead.

Failing that, ask Dad!

'Dad' is at the Lewes Beer Festival on Saturday.

Riggers

« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
There's a campsite at Seathwaite, do not pull up late at night and start jabbering. It is seriously annoying. Have one person sleep for each leg, so at least one is fit to drive between each mountain. Make a donation of £50 to each of Lochaber, Llanberis, and Wasdale or Keswick mountain rescues.e prepared for traffic jams as un originally almost everyone who does this tries this weekend as they are scared of the dark. Do not underestimate the navigation. At least two of them should be competent mountain navigators else they are asking for trouble*. Ben Nevis still has snow and cornices on the north face, be very careful on that leg.

*They're not, so we'll wait and see what transpires. I think they haven't researched it nearly enough, nor done enough training, but then that's me.

Riggers

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2014, 11:22:51 am »
I've passed on your various sound advise to my son, though whether he, or his friends heed the advice is anyone's guess.

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »
Probably not. A bit like my son, I guess. We arrived in Wales to walk the Snowdon Horseshoe "You do have some suitable clothes, don't you?" I ask. He shows me a pair of cotton blend trousers he works in and a long-sleeved TShirt. Riiight.

Good thing I packed spare clothes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »
I have had two groups of friends do this both had dedicated drivers.

One was 3 medical students with a member of the uni motor club as their driver.
The other group was from Church, they were in minibuses and the drivers doubled as cooks for the food as they came off the mountains. Not all the church group completed it in the time limit and the medics got their navigation wrong on Scarfell! Therefore the comments uptread regards navigation and drivers are reinforced, it is not something to undertake lightly.

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:16:24 pm »
Oh and it's Scafell Pike not Scarfell or Scafell. The former I'm pretty sure does not exist, and the latter a different (but very close) mountain. They do know which Peaks they are aiming at. A group last year ended up lost on Stob Ban rather than Ben Nevis!

« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »
I have no knowledge of Ben Nevis.

I do know Scafell and Scafell Pike.
The path to the summit of Scafell Pike degenerates into a scree-field, sloping gradually. In darkness it would not at all be obvious which way to go. In daylight it is a relatively straightforward walk.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »
We went up Lingmell rather than Scafell Pike last year, coming up the corridor route. In daylight, with good visibility, and with someone (not me) who'd done it before.

My nephew spotted the mistake, and hasn't let us forget it ;D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: 3 Peaks "Challenge"
« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »
The top of Ben Nevis requires a bit of careful navigation if visibility is poor.  Make sure they're aware of this before they go. (Google five finger gully)

In fact here's what the Mountaineering Council of Scotland have to say about it:

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ben-nevis-navigation.asp
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #18 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:15:47 am »
The real three peaks is Penyghent, Whernside and Ingleborough.  Accept no substitutes.
Move Faster and Bake Things

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #19 on: 20 June, 2014, 11:48:52 am »
Thank you for voicing dislike of the 3 Peaks chaps, which I'm sure may be well founded, but given that the little chaps are determined to go ahead with this because of timings for all involved, and I suppose because it's a high-profile challenge, has anyone actually done it and able to offer advice?

Cheers m'dears.

I attempted it a few years ago but suffered a major medical malfunction known as Jelly Legs about 3/4 of the way up Ben Nevis.

Timings are tricky - it's the sort of thing where you have to be hugging the speed limits for pretty much the entire time you're driving to have any chance of success. Some would break the speed limit but if you're going to break the speed limits you might as well cheat in other ways as well.

Think about just which challenge you want to do - the version I attemped (and valiantly failed) was to start the clock when we set off from the minibus to scale Ben Nevis and stop the clock when you get back to the minibus having scaled Snowdon. Some start the clock when you leave the summit of Ben Nevis and stop it when you reach the summit of Snowdon (so you've been at all three summits within a 24-hour window). Then of course there are derivatives based on a 48-hour window and tougher versions where you have to touch water before each ascent.

Assuming you're doing Ben Nevis first you need to set off in the evening. The idea is that you ascend in daylight and finish the descent in the dark (so head torches are a must), then drive through the night to Scafell Pike and start the ascent in the dark. Parking at Scafell Pike is likely to be silly, largely because of people doing the 3 Peaks. Take toilet paper with you - the public toilets at Scafell Pike routinely run out because of people doing the 3 Peaks.

I really would urge one or more dedicated drivers. If you've been climbing Ben Nevis and then have to drive through the night (or even random parts of the night) only to tackle Scafell Pike before dawn having not rested very well, it just ramps up the likelihood of a fatigue-related accident.

Aside from that, be aware of navigational issues. People have already mentioned the summit of Ben Nevis (my group abandoned a short distance from the summit because of a total white-out) and there are some serious drops from the top if you get it wrong. My group also took the wrong route on Scafell Pike and lost enough time that we in the minibus (I'd decided not to do Scafell Pike) were seriously considering calling the mountain rescue people. Which could have been a challenge, as there was no mobile signal for some distance around the area. Whatever the weather at the base of Ben Nevis it could be snowing at the top.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Riggers

« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:03:30 am »
Well, I think they've done it. A road they wanted to take from Ben Nevis to Arthur Scargill Pike was closed, so a detour of unwanted miles. I think they finished late last night and probably outside their intended under 24 hours. Communication was almost non-existent from our son to us, which as any parent will tell you, is worrying when they go off 'doing things' potentially dangerous.