Author Topic: Bio Ethanol  (Read 1861 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Bio Ethanol
« on: 28 June, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
Can you safely run a trangia on bioethanol (95% ethanol)?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Re: Bio Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2014, 08:58:14 pm »
What's the other 5%

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2014, 12:40:29 am »
some folk on the bushcraft forum have been using it with good results - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103864&highlight=bioethanol

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2014, 08:03:03 pm »
I decided to get proper meths as it is for young people doing their international/D of E awards and I didn't want to take a risk.

Interesting that for most of the people in that link price was the driving factor. Not the same in Holland. The meths was 1.59 euro for a litre, while the bio-ethanol was 2 euros for a half litre.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2014, 09:18:12 am »
'proper meths' is nearly entirely ethanol, dosed with a small amount of methanol (which is toxic).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
Can you safely run a trangia on bioethanol (95% ethanol)?

Yes.  It's meths without the purple stuff (but annoyingly, still has the bittrex).  Works fine.

AIUI the other 5% is usually methanol.

Trangias will happily burn pure methanol (very clean, slightly less heat), or isopropanol (very hot and sooty), as well as ethanol.

I wouldn't worry about the toxicity of methanol in stove fuel (especially if it's mostly ethanol anyway).  You're not drinking it or inhaling the vapour.  The odd drip on unbroken skin isn't going to be a problem if you wash it off (and if you use a proper Trangia fuel bottle lid, you won't spill it).