Author Topic: Sh!te courier thread  (Read 149522 times)

Re: Sh!te courier thread
« Reply #875 on: 20 December, 2022, 12:28:44 am »
DPD. Parcel has my name and address on it but delivery driver refuses to hand it over until I give
him my name. He gets increasingly shouty when I ask him to hand it over to me because it has my
name and address on it. He aggressively asks one more time for my name, at which point I close
the front door.

His employer will have instructed him to make sure he hands it over the named recipient. Hardly his fault. And he’ll have a “‘no delivery” strike against his KPI’s now.

At a guess the driver will have to enter a name on their handheld as proof of delivery. They're unlikely to care whether the name they enter is De Sisti or Flobbalob - after all, Flobbalob might be De Sisti's flatmate, and has certainly answered his front door - but refusing to give them any name at all seems to me a bit of a nose/face/sharp implement interaction.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #876 on: 20 December, 2022, 06:11:07 pm »
I've used my first name and that seems to be OK. Saves me having to remember then spell my surname.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #877 on: 20 December, 2022, 07:04:21 pm »
An honourable mention for APC, who have mislaid our Christmas lunch, last seen at 21:38 last night in Birmingham, en route to Bucks from North Wakes. Thankfully the supplier has more of the same left, and will be despatching that tomorrow.

Aaaand APC finally delivered the original parcel a mere 24 hours late. I should chase the sender for a refund of the extra “before 12” charge I paid, but I’m guessing as an organic farm they’re not rolling in dosh, so I shan’t. And I did call them to cancel the replacement shipment, although the did say they may already have despatched the replacements

ETA: The saga continues. Late last night I had a text and email from APC to say they'd be delivering my parcel (the replacements) today before 12.  I've just checked the tracking - and absolutely none is available. This might be just an auto-generated message and the actual parcel might indeed have been retrieved by the senders before collection. Time will tell!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #878 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:41:09 pm »
Our local fb page has this posting from our Evri drivers - honestly they do try to do a good job:

Can all you lovely customers of EVRI have any returns collected before Friday 23rd as we can NOT collect them on Saturday 24th as we are not insured to store them over the Christmas time off. HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL FROM US DELIVERING IN THE DALES 🎁🧑🏻‍🎄🎅🏻⛄️🎄

« Reply #879 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:43:56 pm »
DPD. Parcel has my name and address on it but delivery driver refuses to hand it over until I give
him my name. He gets increasingly shouty when I ask him to hand it over to me because it has my
name and address on it. He aggressively asks one more time for my name, at which point I close
the front door.

His employer will have instructed him to make sure he hands it over the named recipient. Hardly his fault. And he’ll have a “‘no delivery” strike against his KPI’s now.

At a guess the driver will have to enter a name on their handheld as proof of delivery. They're unlikely to care whether the name they enter is De Sisti or Flobbalob - after all, Flobbalob might be De Sisti's flatmate, and has certainly answered his front door - but refusing to give them any name at all seems to me a bit of a nose/face/sharp implement interaction.
Parcel now received without me having to give a name.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #880 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:51:56 pm »
the front door.

Why would you do that?
Why do you think it is reasonable for a delivery driver to hand over a parcel to a random person who refuses to give a name?
How would you feel if your parcel had been handed over to a randomer with no attempt at identification?
It is entirely reasonable for a delivery driver to ask who he has handed the package to.

A minimum wage delivery driver does not need that kind of un-necessary shit.
Consider your actions, and think how you might be a better person next time.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #881 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:41:40 pm »
Agree.  It's a shit job. Less shit customers would be better.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #882 on: 21 December, 2022, 10:22:54 pm »
Parcel now received without me having to give a name.

I suspect that if you check any online proof of delivery, you'll find that whatever surname is on the parcel has been entered as proof that it's been delivered.

« Reply #883 on: 21 December, 2022, 10:52:54 pm »

the front door.

Why would you do that?
Why do you think it is reasonable for a delivery driver to hand over a parcel to a random person who refuses to give a name?
How would you feel if your parcel had been handed over to a randomer with no attempt at identification?
It is entirely reasonable for a delivery driver to ask who he has handed the package to.

Your may not be aware but other parcel delivery companies will hand over packages without
asking for a name. Parcelforce never ask for a name before they deliver a parcel to an address
(well, not mine anyway). Royal Mail never ask for a name before they put a letter through
a letterbox. By refusing to give a name to someone who is shouty towards me in not giving
someone shit. Good on you if you may like someone acting like that to you.

« Reply #884 on: 21 December, 2022, 11:22:24 pm »
Meh.

If you'd given him your a name you'd have had your parcel on Monday.

« Reply #885 on: 22 December, 2022, 09:40:48 am »
Meh.

If you'd given him your a name you'd have had your parcel on Monday.

^This.  Different companies, different rules. The drivers have to follow the rules.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #886 on: 22 December, 2022, 11:53:29 am »
Seems perfectly reasonable to ask for a name, even if on the face of it pointless* . . . .  what makes me laugh is when they want proof of age for an item - I'm 75 for God's sake and, although some would disagree, do look over 21  ;D ;D

Back to the original post on this matter, it did seem rather rude.

By chance a couple of days ago a delivery person came to the door with a parcel for our neighbour - and said Mr xxx - No - oops, sorry wrong house said the driver.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #887 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:16:52 pm »
When I left the house at 14:17 this afternoon, there was a large grey Mega-Global Sounds-Like-a-River Corporation van parked in the BMW X5 reserved parking space[1] outside.  This drove off in the time it took me to lock the door and put my gloves on.

In what I'm sure is not a coincidence, the Mega-Global Sounds-Like-a-River Corporation's parcel tracking claim that a parcel that was originally due for delivery tomorrow was 'handed to resident' at 2:19pm.

Narrator voice: It was not handed to the resident.

[1] Denoted by the yellow stripes on the tarmac.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #888 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:31:09 pm »

the front door.

Why would you do that?

Your may not be aware but other parcel delivery companies will hand over packages without
asking for a name. Parcelforce never ask for a name before they deliver a parcel to an address
(well, not mine anyway). Royal Mail never ask for a name before they put a letter through
a letterbox. By refusing to give a name to someone who is shouty towards me in not giving
someone shit. Good on you if you may like someone acting like that to you.

Technically Royal Mail deliver letters to addresses not individuals.. Unless it is a signed for / special delivery letter, then they need to confirm name for signature. 

Imagine this scenario.  Courier arrives at your door, with a parcel which a previous resident of your abode had mistakenly ordered using their old address on their paypal account.

Courier knocks your door and asks for your name.  "Can I have your name please for proof of delivery".

Resident replies "certainly It's Mr Di Sisti". 

"Oh", says the courier, "the name on the parcel is for a Mr Humperdink". 

"Oh" replies the resident "Mr Humperdink no longer lives here.  Can I refuse that parcel?"

"Certainly" replies the Courier, "I'll mark that parcel as refused and get it returned to sender".

At the end of they day couriers are just trying to do their jobs, so why make life difficult for them?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #889 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:49:01 pm »
Ordered paste and insulation panels from Cover Your Wall before xmas. Paste is delivered by APC on the 22nd (package 1 of 2) but not the panels. Leave it a day to see if the 2nd package turns up but it doesn't. Tracking link on the email doesn't work. Emailed CYW but it disappears into the xmas black hole. Phoned them last Friday and their tracking link says delivery was attempted on the day the 1st package came. 'I'll phone APC to chase it but they're not answering the phone very well at the moment so bear with us'.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #890 on: 14 January, 2023, 05:13:52 pm »
My 2nd biggest supplier who we get around 20 parcels a week has gone over to DX. DX are crap, I think probably cheap but DPD for us are great, get a proper name and a photo and you get  usually accurate delivery slot. DX dump stuff outside or in workshop and make up names. Have contacted the suppler and said what are you doing DX are crap

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #891 on: 15 January, 2023, 08:23:38 pm »
My 2nd biggest supplier who we get around 20 parcels a week has gone over to DX. DX are crap, I think probably cheap but DPD for us are great, get a proper name and a photo and you get  usually accurate delivery slot. DX dump stuff outside or in workshop and make up names. Have contacted the suppler and said what are you doing DX are crap

DX started out as a service for (and I believe owned by solicitors) to transfer documents between offices as a better/cheaper option than RM - the internet and the acceptance of electronic signatures saw that business disappear, hence the parcels thrust.  Agree they are crap, they weren't much better at the original business.

« Reply #892 on: 18 January, 2023, 06:07:29 pm »
We don't appear to have a 'Good Courier' thread so, in the face of adversity, I'm going to put this in here.

I ordered a pair of gloves yesterday.
They were collected by DHL from Assos in Lugano at 16:35 yesterday.
DHL attempted a delivery at my place in Londres Sud at 13:00 today.
I'm reasonably impressed with that.
Unable to deliver as there was nobody home.  ::-)

« Reply #893 on: 18 January, 2023, 06:28:08 pm »
And yesterday checked tracking on a parcel. Signed for Monday by goods inwards. Bollocks was it due to it being cold and windy our doors locked or blows open so couriers need to ring the bell

Eventually got through on DX chat and was told the parcel had been received at depot open and empty so not sent out. They couldn't explain why it was showing delivered or why they never get names

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #894 on: 23 January, 2023, 08:54:35 pm »
I have ordered something which is to be delivered by Royal Mail. It has a tracking number. When I click on said number for more info, I'm told

An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item

which is not terribly helpful.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #895 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:11:55 pm »
We don't appear to have a 'Good Courier' thread so, in the face of adversity, I'm going to put this in here.

I ordered a pair of gloves yesterday.
They were collected by DHL from Assos in Lugano at 16:35 yesterday.
DHL attempted a delivery at my place in Londres Sud at 13:00 today.
I'm reasonably impressed with that.
Unable to deliver as there was nobody home.  ::-)

Amazon usually deliver to me in 24 hours, without extra payment for Express Delivery.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #896 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:52:21 pm »
I see Evri are following the trend for anbaric vans so they can at least lose your Stuffs in an environmentally-friendly way :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #897 on: 24 January, 2023, 08:34:01 am »
Christmas this year was smashing and as a result Mrs JellyLegs was scouring that well known market place of all delights on the hunt for replacement crystal fizz flutes of matching design to the two remaining ones in our cupboard.  A set of 5 was located, purchased and dispatched by Evri on 3rd Jan.  No sign by 13th so seller chased.  Evri unable to locate, declared lost on 20th and seller refunded.  Yesterday, well you know what happens.  Now working out how to repay the seller and claim money back to cover the singular matching glass we had managed to purchase over the weekend and now don’t need.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #898 on: 24 January, 2023, 11:14:08 am »
A friend tells me that my 58th birthday next week is marked by the delivery of poo sticks. Does this mean that I'm going to need a shite courier?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #899 on: 24 January, 2023, 01:43:03 pm »
A friend tells me that my 58th birthday next week is marked by the delivery of poo sticks. Does this mean that I'm going to need a shite courier?
;D ;D ;D

Royal Mail will do the job.

They usually send a letter warning you of the NHS Birthday Card, in advance.

Birthday cards can be late.