Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 156092 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2125 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:55 pm »
I remember it had to go back to,the Jewlers to be sorted out, and I still don’t know to this day if they managed to clean the ring or just replaced the band with a new one. Sarah’s parents very kindly paid to the process, which given I was recently cleaned out, was just as well 😏
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #2126 on: January 02, 2020, 03:34:22 pm »
They can just heat the ring to evaporate the mercury (that's how they used to get the gold out of the ore, dissolve in mercury and then boil it off). Obviously these days under controlled conditions as mercury vapour isn't very nice. Alternatively, they can soak it in a nitric acid bath (mercury is soluble in nitric acid, gold not really).

Or you could go with the cool amalgam look. I wanted iridium wedding rings. Then romance butted up hard against the cold, harsh reality of economics. So we have platinum.
!nataS pihsroW

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2127 on: January 02, 2020, 04:04:12 pm »
At the thick end of three weeks off, I've started watching daytime TV. Charlie Dimmock is still doing her thing, and I'm amazed what old tat rescued from the dump sells for
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2128 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:38 am »
At the thick end of three weeks off, I've started watching daytime TV. Charlie Dimmock is still doing her thing, and I'm amazed what old tat rescued from the dump sells for
How did you find out her fee?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #2129 on: January 09, 2020, 10:04:05 am »
I decided to indulge in a little facial topiary this morn, what with my beard being over 10cm in length. I can only blame sun-spot activity or perhaps just the general unrest in the world has permeated deeper into my psyche than I had realised, but I’ve gone and overdone it. My beard is now less than 8mm all over. My saggy under jaw is obvious for the first time ever.

I’m going to have to change my online persona to double chinny.

I am more than a little sad.

I’m going to hide from the world and retire to my bed until a reasonable amount of facial foliage has returned. Or perhaps buy a false beard.

This could belong in a number of places, but on reflection I feel here is the right one.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #2130 on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »
How did you find out her fee?

That made me laugh probably more than it should have done. Well done!
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

« Reply #2131 on: January 27, 2020, 03:09:35 pm »
I had to give up trying to get Alexa to play Radio 6 on the Sonos playbase, and revert to using the Sonos app.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #2132 on: January 27, 2020, 04:28:25 pm »
You should get really angry on the internet and shout YOU ARE STUPID at anyone who might not be in 100% agreement.
!nataS pihsroW