Author Topic: Arithmetic that makes you cringe  (Read 5426 times)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Re: Arithmetic that makes you cringe
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »
Golden syrup is partially inverted.

You don't strictly need acid (water will donate the protons), though it'll speed up the hydrolysis.
!nataS pihsroW

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 06:58:10 pm »
Alexa lets you choose her temperature and distance units. I don't think she offers Kelvin or parsecs* though.

And yes, she should have said sucrose will melt/decompose (depending on the water content, moisture is how you get inversion, that's really the difference between making caramel and golden syrup).

*yes, yes, I know, but Han Solo is always going to be more right than you, so give it up.

invert sugar syrup also needs an acid to do the "inversion".  I'm not sure if golden syrup is inverted or not?

'Partially inverted refiners' syrup' if I recall the inscription on the Lyle's Golden Syrup correctly... ie a mixture of glucose, fructose & sucrose.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2018, 07:34:46 am »
*yes, yes, I know, but Han Solo is always going to be more right than you, so give it up.

“Han Solo is dead.” - Nietzsche

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2018, 09:39:13 am »
Yes, and he's dead right.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:47 am »
Sugar is right, golden syrup is wrong, honey lives forever.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 10:57:10 am »
Forgot to ask Alexa the question this morning to see what it says, will ask this evening when back home.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2018, 06:47:12 am »
Siri was surprisingly correct on this, vs it's usual ability to understand English

It directed me to a site that quite correctly pointed out that sugar does not boild but decomposes and caremelises, and refers to varying boiling point of syrups.

I may be being lulled into a false sense of security with Siri, heading for another disappointment
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2018, 07:08:52 am »
Anyone who watched the last series of Bake Off will have seen the little Amazon Alexa ads that bookended each commercial break. One of them had Our Intrepid Baker asking "Alexa, what's the boiling point of sugar?" to which Alexa replies "The boiling point of sugar is XXX degrees."

Now, leaving aside the fact that the question is nonsensical, since sugar doesn't have a boiling point as such, it really infuriated me that Alexa didn't specify the scale in her answer - I can't recall the exact figure quoted but I'm sure it must have been in Fahrenheit, which shouldn't be too surprising given that Alexa is Transpondian, but a) my old maths teacher would have given her a clout round the ear for such sloppiness, and b) it's the 21st feckin' century so use Celsius already. Anyway, I amused myself by imagining that Our Intrepid Baker guessed that Alexa was working in Kelvin and so put their sugar solution in the freezer to boil it...

I just tried this - Alexa told me it was 160° Celsius.