Author Topic: Alpkit Koala Saddlebag  (Read 14467 times)

Re: Alpkit Koala Saddlebag
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:37 am »
Looking at the pictures, some seem to have the bag running below the level of the saddle for the whole length of the bag, others have it sticking up at an angle that goes above the saddle level. Is this something you have control over, depending on how you strap it? Or, does it depend on how you pack it / some property of seatpost+saddle / something else? I think having it in the way if I wanted to move by backside backwards would be annoying, particularly on the mountain bike.

Really depends on the relative positions of the mounting points - if your saddle is forward, the seatpack will stick up at an angle.  Saddle further back, seatpack will be flatter.

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:22 pm »
Looking at the pictures, some seem to have the bag running below the level of the saddle for the whole length of the bag, others have it sticking up at an angle that goes above the saddle level. Is this something you have control over, depending on how you strap it? Or, does it depend on how you pack it / some property of seatpost+saddle / something else? I think having it in the way if I wanted to move by backside backwards would be annoying, particularly on the mountain bike.

Really depends on the relative positions of the mounting points - if your saddle is forward, the seatpack will stick up at an angle.  Saddle further back, seatpack will be flatter.

That makes perfect sense, and suits my setup fine  :)
It can stay on the wishlist!

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:29 am »
I have just bought a Revelate Viscacha bag and plan to use it for the first time this weekend.  Will report back after.

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »
Having been working out with a smaller roll top system ie Wildcat Tiger 3-5 how to rationalise, easily access items  l I`ve taken plunge and KOALA`d  ;D

First impressions are that it`s very capacious indeed and well made solid feeling. Without any difficulty packed in a 4 season Neo Air thermarest / long sleeve jersey / legwarmers / spare shorts / gloves, hat / waterproof and it packed down solid and fitted securely under my C17 saddle even with just 15 cm seatpost. If anything it`s probably on large size for much use, nearer a Nelson bag size than a Barley. However even packed to what seemed about two thirds full it seemed to be very secure.

Haven`t ridden with it yet but would plan on packing as I`ve been doing with Wildcat system ie tool kit near seatpost end, then various bits and pieces with a spare inner and rain jacket near roll closure so items I think I`ll need are easily accessed.

In many ways I see these bikepacking sytems as very much akin to a rucssac---you`ve got to preplan packing order to make best of them. Little side compression pockets would though be a very good addition

We`ll see, btw it`s a lovely red chilli colour too for added viz and my rear light can be easily attached on the webbing up and over strap very securely :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2015, 05:40:57 pm »
I used a Koala on PBP. Although it's a great bit of kit, the retrieval of items from the depths of the bag are a problem. Even though I'd split the contents into easily identifiable coloured drybags, it was still a pain.

It worked great on shorter rides before I left, but when you need something that is in the blue dry bag, that went in first and it's 3 am, and you've already ridden over 1000km. Getting that item out of the bag becomes the biggest, most pain in the arse thing imaginable!

I'd use it again for touring (or bike packing or whatever it's called this week) where you could use it for carrying things you'll only need at the end of the day eg sleeping stuff. But for Audax, I'm going back to the Carradice - it's so much easier to get things in and out of. Even the buckles and straps are less faff than getting all the straps done up tight on the Koala. And then making sure there are no unsecured lengths of strap just waiting to get caught in the spokes of the rear wheel....

I do like it, but only about as much as Paul Daniels would like it...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »
Used mine for a couple rides and well pleased with it; steady without any sway although used less than half full; yes a bit of a faff getting stuff in / out but was able manage by just putting eg armwarmers / gilet in back jersey pocket until had planned stop when stowed them. Can though understand potential for frustration if tired / dark trying to find something !

So generally a  :thumbsup: but with potential reservations which may emerge on longer rides
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
Thanks, Julia.  Given the measurements I quote here, the damsel at Carradice sent a very mixed message:

"You will have enough room to fit the block on your saddle and would recommend maybe a Barley Lowsaddle Longflap or Super C Audax.  Ideally for bag clearance I would suggest about 150mm of seat post.  Alternatively, instead of the SQR System, there is the Bagman Q/R Sport which should be back in stock towards the end of next week.  You need about 18cms from the rails to just above the rear wheel for this one."

I think I shall forbear

Thought you might like to know I have been using a Lowsaddle Longflap onto a SQR support for my commute. It fits comfortably and comes on and off without squshing the mudguard (the SQR tour does). Very pleased with it from a practical point of view as it's more than big enough for a weekend of light touring.

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2017, 11:20:02 pm »
Thread Resurrection alert
But for anyone still thinking of one of these, they are in Alpkit's sale at £56, down from the usual £70
Ditto the completely waterproof Fiana model.

FWIW I don't think I've used anything else on Audax since PBP2015. (about 15000km)
I tend to use a light-coloured tapered Airlok inside it - not so much for waterproofing, but to be able to drag everything out at once and carry it in to controls.
The tabs/bungee that I fixed to the outside were never used and have since fallen off - but the original bag is still going strong.