Author Topic: proviz fully reflective jackets  (Read 3190 times)

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
Re: proviz fully reflective jackets
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »
Someone had one on a FNRttC a while ago.  It was astoundingly bright on dark lanes, and had interesting colour effects when viewed/lit from an oblique angle that you don't normally notice with smaller areas of retroreflective.  Obviously not being fluorescent, it's of limited visibility benefit around dusk (or during shite weather in daylight).

My thought at the time was nice bling, but it would show the dirt...
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:30 am »
Quite good camouflage against a road surface if no light is shining at it though - won't make you any more visible to cars pulling out from side roads, for example.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:36 am »
That would be awful in daylight fog.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
I saw someone in this, or something very like it, today. About 4 o'clock, raining. Not on a road so no headlights. It wasn't as shiny as the photo, but had a definite sheen to it. I think under headlights at night it would be glowtastic, but in other conditions fluorescent is probably brighter.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:57:31 pm »
This with lights for poor visibility would be a good combo.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:55:38 pm »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »
I got one for christmas, very nice it is, too. Equal in quality, i would say, to the night vision jackets.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:00:58 pm »
Have just spotted these on the Mountain Warehouse website:
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/womens/force-reflective-womens-jacket-p11962.aspx
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/flash-illumination-convertible-jacket-p11963.aspx?cl=BLACK

Not sure what they'd be like as cycling jackets even without the reflectivity, but might be an interesting datapoint for someone at the sale price.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:10:20 pm »
Have just spotted these on the Mountain Warehouse website:
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/womens/force-reflective-womens-jacket-p11962.aspx
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/flash-illumination-convertible-jacket-p11963.aspx?cl=BLACK

Not sure what they'd be like as cycling jackets even without the reflectivity, but might be an interesting datapoint for someone at the sale price.

Ooh, those look quite fun and not-ridiculous in price. I saw someone with (I assume) one of the Proviz ones the other day and it looked quite striking (I particularly liked the way that, being white, it took on the hue of whatever light was shining on it). Shame I've bought too many jackets recently and really, really don't need another one. :hand:

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:38 pm »
Even M&S are getting in on the act.  I don't need this, but tried it on to be nosy on Saturday.  Usual bizarre M&S sizing that assumes I have huge hips.  Also a gilet version.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/reflective-jacket-with-showerproof/p/p22353207

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »
I followed a rider wearing the ProViz in the OP the other day.

It certainly did a very interesting waving reflection kind of thing as it caught sunlight from different angles. Looked good to me.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »
The Halfords in Darlo had one of these at £40 (RRP £80), so if anyone's after one it might be worth a look down your local branch.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »
I bought one today reduced (but not as much as in Darlo) in Halfords, plus an extra 10% off for being a British Cycling member.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »
I have one of these in fact i have the gilet version too, as mentioned above they are great in the dark but rubbish (for visibility) in low light situations. I use mine for the commute, quality is good although the reflective material is starting to come off mine just where is creases so I don't think this is something that will last long. Its also a bit of a boild in the bag job but the gilet is quite good for that.

Honestly I wouldn't bother again.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »
I have the mark 2 version of the jacket and have also tried the vest.  The jacket is waterproof and is reasonably breathable. It also has a high collar and a decent amount of pockets.  I definitely feel safer riding around the streets in the dark wearing the jacket. 

The one weakness of the jacket, and even more so, the vest is that the reflective material tears extremely easily.  The jacket currently wears two duct tape 'patches' at the back where it has torn.  The vest barely lasted a month before it became unwearable due to massive tears (the jacket has an inner liner unlike the vest, and this seems to provide some reinforcement to the outer material). 

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:27 am »
I saw two of these last night. Firstly, on the way to ye pubbe there was a random cyclist ahead of me in one. Even against a background of well lit main road and bright shops, it stood out quite amazingly. Secondly, at ye pubbe Dave the intrepid explorer had one. His came from Go Outdoors and he said it was a bit boil-in-the-bag but he didn't report any problems with it tearing.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:54 am »
FW Evans do their own version now which has lots of tiny laser cut holes around the armpits. Very keen pricing too.
The FWE clothing range in general looks fantastic.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 01:29:48 pm »
Cycling buddy wore his new gilet last night. 

It looks like it's electrically illuminated, very impressive, a bright silver object, actually brighter (in my LED light) than his rear lights.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 02:14:22 pm »
They have the gillet in the sale in my LBS. Looks well made. Being 6'2 and of ample chest, if slim of waist, I tried a medium. Crazy flappy, like a sail. Tried the small. Still flappy, but so short, it was something Madge could have worn in the 80s. I should add, I was trying it on over a t-shirt and hoodie. Unless they've cut it for wear over a down jacket, it is too baggy. I'm medium in Rapha and Pearl Izumi, and large in Castelli. Bear that in mind if buying without trying.