Author Topic: best h20 proof shoes  (Read 1305 times)

best h20 proof shoes
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
What are the bees knees of the waterproof cycling shoes world?
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Re: best h20 proof shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:00:50 pm »
I'll open the bidding with Shimano MT91 - they're basically walking boots that take cleats.

Suspect you'll have to specify whether you're after a warm winter boot, or just something that keeps the wet stuff out.

And someone will be along in a minute to endorse the sandals+skintex approach.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:03:37 pm »
I'll open the bidding with Shimano MT91

These are 100% waterproof. They're that watertight, they turn into little pools of rainwater as rain runs down your legs into them ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »
I'll open the bidding with Shimano MT91

These are 100% waterproof. They're that watertight, they turn into little pools of rainwater as rain runs down your legs into them ;D

That's a problem with any waterproof footwear in heavy rain, unless you're riding a recumbent trike.

That said, the vast majority of the time rain isn't heavy, but there's mud/puddles/slush on the ground, and I find they're excellent at keeping that out.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »
I thought the answer was waterproof overshoes plus the cuffs from a pair of washing up gloves to minimse water leaking down between a leg and an overshoe.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 03:26:59 am »
The Northwave boots (Celsius and Fahrenheit depending on whether you want road or SPD fitting) are pretty good, but sandals are a fine choice too, with or without Sealskinz.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:13 am »
Longboard mudguard.
Jennifer - walker of hills

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »
Hmmm, says Doo. I had the Northwave Fahrenheit shoes but am selling them on ebay cos they just collect water - the cuffs did little in stopping water come out. Marigolds worked for a while but tend to ride up on long distance events.

Sandals - not tried that. Anyone recommend a decent pair (cheap) and advise on sizing.

Cheers,

Doo  ;D
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »
I like Shimano's - both the roadie and MTB versions.  And that's from a Campag fan.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »
Not had the same problems as you with my Northwaves, and have pretty largely come home with dry feet (or at least ones that are obviously damp from sweat rather than soaked from rain) despite not bothering to do anything with the cuffs except try to put the bottom of my tights over them. Been out when it's been very wet, though admittedly not in sustained monsoon.

Sandals - I've got the Exustar ones and find them very, very comfortable: no problems with hotfoot or similar over LEL or this year's Irish 1200k. New model is £45 from Spa. They're sized across two European sizes: my feet are 43 but probably at the bottom end - I'm generally happy in wide 8.5s - and the 43/44 Exustars only just adjust small enough for me. When I come to replace them - not for a while - I expect I'll probably go for the 41/42s, as I think they'll expand more gracefully than the larger size shrinks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:38 am »
I also like the Northwave Celsius boots.
Seem waterproof enough for me. Yes, if it is really wet, you can get water running in the top. Though this hardly ever happens for me, I rarely ride in such conditions. This does depend on what sort of tights/shorts/socks you are wearing, and how they fit around your ankle. I might get some drysuit ankle seals, to see if they help.

Warm enough for most winter rides, with suitably thick socks. There are also 'Arctic' and 'Extreme' versions which should be even warmer.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:34:49 am »
Northwave here too, feet still get damp but never sure that this isn't just feet glowing. But keep feet very warm.