Author Topic: spd sandals  (Read 1827 times)

spd sandals
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:43:54 pm »
I want spd sandals.

Which are best, from where, how do they size up etc?

Cheers

Doo
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: spd sandals
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:04:53 pm »
Lake's are good but on the narrow side. I think Shimano is the forum's choice.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »
I am a big fan of the Exustar sandals, more comfy than Shimano and give you some toe protection. I'm not sure how easy they are to get these days, mine were from Spa cycles.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
Still available from Spa - the version I have (SS502, white, two straps) is being discontinued but the SS503 (black, three straps) is available in all sizes. £45 and well worth it.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »
Bargain!

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s154p1228

If you are size 47/48

If not, then you might have to wait.

Worth a call to see if they intend to restock.

(X-post and is true what is said above)

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
Ooh thanks guys.

Looked at both ss502 and ss503 - which is the better model?

Cheers,

Doo :)

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »
which is the better model?

Yes.

(Don't think you'll get a sensible answer. I've not tried both, and I doubt Feline has. I guess the soles will be the same or very similar. Do you prefer two straps or three, and do you have 47/48 feet, because if not you don't have the option? More constructively, I had a much older pair of Exustars without the toe protection, used them until they wore out, and had no problems with them. As a 502 user, I'd have no hesitation either replacing like-for-like, or getting the 503s.)

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:17:42 pm »
That's just it. My regular cycling shoe is a 46. Would it be same in sandals. How do they size. I like the 'look' of the 3 strap better, but y'know, all your advice/suggestions is gratefully received.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:57 pm »
I'd go for the 45/46.

In your other thread:
Sandals - I've got the Exustar ones and find them very, very comfortable: no problems with hotfoot or similar over LEL or this year's Irish 1200k. New model is £45 from Spa. They're sized across two European sizes: my feet are 43 but probably at the bottom end - I'm generally happy in wide 8.5s - and the 43/44 Exustars only just adjust small enough for me. When I come to replace them - not for a while - I expect I'll probably go for the 41/42s, as I think they'll expand more gracefully than the larger size shrinks.

I have a dim memory of Kim saying somewhere else that she sizes up to allow thick socks in winter, but don't think she has the Exustars.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:58 pm »
Thanks, I'll order a pair of the ss503's - if no good, can always send 'em back.

Thanks to all for comments etc

Doo  ;D

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:48:52 pm »
Exustar and on offer at SPA atm at £45. Tempted to buy another pair to provide sandals for the forseeable future.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 09:51:15 pm »
I got shimano ones earlier this year. I didn't want toe protection, I wanted the sun ( ha ha ) on my toes.
The sole is pretty big on the shimano ones and I got a size smaller (a 42 rather than 43) or something.  Good fit toes still not at the edge of the sole, but there is a wee ridge/contour on the sole designed to be under the toes to be a good fit. This, rather than the size of the sole is the thing that makes it preferable to get the right side for you. Good to walk in.

They're not as cheap as I thought they should be, but Ive used mine a lot through the summer and into the autumn.

EDIT to add:   I really like mine. Gone to shoes now though, November not far off.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:43 pm »
^^^agreed.

The problem with Shimano sandals is that the sizes go up in steps of two, and it's the larger size that the sole always has.  So if you've a size 43 foot you're either stuck with a 41/42 (toes scraping on ground) or a 43/44 (grief from the contoured sole).  I bought the 43/44 for my size 43 feet and felt as if they were trying to dislocate my big toes all the time. Eventually sold them on.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »
I've got the old Shimano ones. Two pairs as I got one pair cheap. Great success!
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 04:15:28 pm »
I gots me shoes and love 'em!  :smug:

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »
I have always fancied buying a pair of clogs and screwing cleats into them! :O)
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 05:27:00 pm »
I have a dim memory of Kim saying somewhere else that she sizes up to allow thick socks in winter.

That's just the brain's natural defence mechanism, trying to eradicate the image of a socks 'n' sandals combo.

It's usually too strong an image to erase totally but leaving just a "dim memory" is normally enough for the afflicted person to live a relatively full life, with just the occasional bout of night-terrors.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
I have a dim memory of Kim saying somewhere else that she sizes up to allow thick socks in winter.

That's just the brain's natural defence mechanism, trying to eradicate the image of a socks 'n' sandals combo.

It's usually too strong an image to erase totally but leaving just a "dim memory" is normally enough for the afflicted person to live a relatively full life, with just the occasional bout of night-terrors.

POTD
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Nah, socks and sandals is a good look. It reminds you of backpacking round the world on a dollar a day in '96, the occasion when you arrived on what you thought was a tropical island only to find they do have winter and they also have Germans.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)