Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 289103 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
SNOmageddon next week.  Break out the studded tyres!

What, again?  We were due a SNOpocalypse this week, according to “weather forecaster James Madden” and the Dily Brexpress.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Cycled to work in the cold, it was minus 7.

Aren't you over Munich way?

-7°C here too this morning. Not as bad as the mid-80's, when we had -28° in Stuttgart.  Going out in the morning I could feel my jeans getting stiff just walking to the car - which started!
No, I’m in Niederrhein between Krefeld and Venlo (NL). Very open and flat here, no hills.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

2C in York. Warmer than forecast.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Blimey, despite a forecast for overcast all day, we have a clear blue sky.

ETA Well that didn’t last long, back to 10/10ths coverage.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Temp scraped 0°C today, didn't like the experience and went back down. Sod it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Going down to -2C Weds. But WNW Beaufort force 2, so will feel like -5C. Tuesday’s snow has been cancelled.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Shortly before midnight last night, the wind switched from NNE to W. In my view this is supposed to lead to a rise in temperatures, but the weather has other ideas.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

It’ll be a bit chilly here the next few days, with what the Met office calls a “severe” frost, maybe -5C. My esteemed colleagues in Minneapolis Mn. are currently basking in -22C. Those in Brighton, Mi. a mere - 16C. And the local Public Works guys have been out ploughing / plowing the pavement / sidewalk around the town mill pond.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's unreasonable to compare extreme BRITISH weather to that in ABROAD, because FOREIGNS are less crap at coping with weather than BRITONS are.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Oh, I dunno. I remember $number years ago when the E. Lothian(?) snow-clearing/gritting teams refused to work because it was too cold.  That's coping with, after a fashion.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
We're getting proper winter weather. Snobes, wind and all.

I can't believe that I used to cycle commute in that shit in the before times  :o

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
TTIUWP!

-2C this morning! Is this the apocalypse?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We have had another frost. -0.3°C.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.

According to the Express, yes. It's a once-in-a-hundred years event, apparently. Something the Express has 'forecast' every year since 1964. They forgot in '63, and look what happened...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

It was -2° when I went to the gym this morning (I had to defrost the car) and -1° when I came home afterwards.  It was -0.5° degrees whilst walking the dog and it is now a positively balmy +1°.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

My esteemed colleagues are enjoying Martin Luther King day at a comparatively balmy -22C (of, as they would have it -8F)

Meanwhile deepest darkest Buckinghamshire was -4C when I went out to the car this morning. 2 miles as the crow flies and 30m higher atop Tring Hill is was -1C.

Meanwhile, in Canadia: https://mstdn.ca/@chad/111758440679972277

For a similar reason, our Instrument Air sets for the Kazakh steppe had the dew point specified at -70C, rather than the more usual -40C/-40F.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I decided to walk to work this morning. Wasn't really planning to do the same on the way home but I did. 17km (in total) in the snow, hills in both directions, I am knackered now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Meanwhile, in Canadia: https://mstdn.ca/@chad/111758440679972277

That's impressive!

At my son's house, it's snowing and -11°C. The forecast I saw said "feels like -24°C". I've never experienced -24°C, and only once or twice experienced double-digit degrees of frost. On those occasions, it was fleeting and marginal, but even allowing for my thermometer's inaccuracies, I think that Sunday night in January 1987 was the coldest I've experienced. The thermometer claimed 14°C, in Southend.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I decided to walk to work this morning. Wasn't really planning to do the same on the way home but I did. 17km in the snow, hills in both directions, I am knackered now.
Wow! Well done. I once walked home from work in the snow, from the outskirts of Warsaw to the centre, but that was only about 10km, I had probably taken the bus (most of the way) in the morning, and it's pan flat. And I was still knackered. Also very warm, dressed as I was for the mostly unheated bus.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/15/arctic-blast-to-sweep-over-england-bringing-freezing-conditions

Allegedly.

I like the last sentence in that piece:

“Snow is unpredictable, so it’s worth keeping an eye on forecasts.”

I would have thought that if snow is unpredictable, it wasn't worth...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
During that so-called “Beast From The East” a few years ago, when much of the country had a SNOpockyclypse we in sunny E17 had enough SNO to almost, but not quite, render the writing on the top of the BIIINNNSSS illegible from an upstairs window.